Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Hindi fonts incorrect display
Posted by: raaghav81
Date: November 19, 2009 08:16AM

Hi,

I am new to K-Meleon. I am loving its lightness and fastness.
But there are some problems I am running into. So one of them I am reporting here which I think is a bug.

K-Meleon does not display hindi fonts correctly.

Here I have used a link for example

http://apnakahaniblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/blog-post_5444.html

Incorrect Display on K-Meleon

Correct Dispaly on IE8 of the same page

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hindi fonts incorrect display
Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 19, 2009 09:20PM

no problems here in displaying hindi..the fonts look exactly as in seamonkey/firefox browser..make sure to select view>encoding>auto detect and make sure universal is detected

also make sure the haracter encoding used in utf-8

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 19, 2009 09:34PM

Dear Sir,

Did You find that all Hindi pages share this bug?
Else it is likely a sever or page specific problem.

I am afraid I can only read the Source Code of the page but no Hindi.

Page headers say UTF8. Have You set K-Meleon to use that encoding?

W3 says hundreds of Syntax errors. They may affect language rendering.

K-Meleon uses the same rendering engine as e.g. Firefox 2 and SeaMonkey 1x.
I am not aware of any Hindi specific bugs of that engine. But I am no developer.

A user knowing the language would have to check with either FF2 or SM1 whether he can confirm a K-Meleon specific bug.

A non official firefox2.0.0.22. Virus check recommended before use.

SeaMonkey 1.1.18.

p.s. I mainly know from European (de-DE) pages. If it is UTF8 and a server announce another encoding to the browser (via http-header) I get funny German letters. The other way around also. I would go to Menue item: View > Encoding and try to find the right one, if it matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 09:41PM by guenter.

Date: November 20, 2009 03:56AM

disrupted
no problems here in displaying hindi..the fonts look exactly as in seamonkey/firefox browser..make sure to select view>encoding>auto detect and make sure universal is detected

also make sure the haracter encoding used in utf-8

Yes, I have checked setting. I am using exactly same what you are suggesting here. Auto Detect >Universal and Encoding is utf-8.

Is there something more I should check?

guenter
Did You find that all Hindi pages share this bug?
Else it is likely a sever or page specific problem.

Yes, all hindi pages share same bug.

Date: November 20, 2009 04:02AM

Sorry , Forgot to add...

I have not installed Firefox or Seamonkey since I am running away from their bloated behaviour(I am long time FF user since v1) and happy to see K-Meleon as a good option.

So I am not testing page on FF or SM but It is tested on IE8 as already mentioned in my OP. and IE8 screenshot is there.

Date: November 20, 2009 06:57AM

Dear Sir,

is the writing in disrupted's screenshot correct?

Here are the checks that You declined to do.

If only You and I but not disrupted have wrong fonts it might be a shared system problem?
To me it looks like disrupted's screen-shot shows the same font as Your IE screen-shot?

You not I wants to find a solution for Your Hindi font problem.

The Firefox 2 I compiled to check pages does not phone home all the time to get updates.

Except for its long startup a FFox with the same engine is merely 5-10% slower & without extensions not much bigger than a K-Meleon install (except that K-Meleon by default ships functionality that would require half a dozen FF extensions, and that FF could be just as small if it did not contain e.g. mails components that are normally redundant in a browser grinning smiley ).

Thank You for reading my posts. Greetings from Germany

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 07:23AM by guenter.

Attachments: ffsm.gif (36.9 KB)  
Date: November 20, 2009 07:38AM

Dear Guenter,

Greetings from India!

Thanks a lot for testing and help. 'disrupted' screenshot looks correct, same as IE.

But your test screenshots on FF and SM seems incorrect, same as my screenie of K-Meleon. Thank god, that proves that it is not my problem alone.

By the way, Thank you for testing this on Firefox and SeaMonkey. I was looking for a lighter alternative of Firefox after recent formatting my system and installing Win XP.

I got K-Meleon, when I needed it the most. It rocks!

Date: November 20, 2009 08:35AM

Dear Sir,

Guess we have to ask disrupted what system fonts he installed.
Obviously it is shown all wrong on my European system.

I set up XP on my new Vista PC grinning smiley

Greetings from Germany

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 08:41AM by guenter.

Date: November 20, 2009 05:35PM

i tested with seamonkey and firefox but ican't find your ie snapshot to compare, i think they display properly without that extra tail

i don't have any different font settings, for unicode i use times for serif and arial for sanserif, default settings i think.. just open km prefs and select (others)unicode from language gropu dropdown menu and see if they are like mine:

a while back i installed a greek supprt package for better rendering of classical(polytonic) greek fonts.. maybe it replaced system fonts like arial but i don't think this is related

what's your windows version?

Date: November 20, 2009 07:26PM

raaghav81
I was looking for a lighter alternative of Firefox after recent formatting my system and installing Win XP.

@disrupted You overread the bold.
Or do You mean what regional or XP variant?

& I have a XP Germany bought Pro version.

Most likely You installed extra fonts.

@raaghav81 I googled hindi font package.

Anything useful?

Except that I take the download offers in places like .NZ as indicator that not only us 2 do not have a font package that supports them.grinning smiley

greetings from Germany

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 07:36PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 20, 2009 08:02PM

Funny smiling smiley Never seen hindi before in my life!
Just for fun I tried the link, but as expected, not the slightest chance with ancient win98 grinning smiley So can't help, sorry. Well at least I'm going to recognize now hindi when I see it, so I learned something again grinning smiley

Guenter, hihi, ich seh vor lauter Strichen auch den Wald fast nicht, aber nach gaaanz genauem Vergleichen kann man's so unterscheiden: Das kurze Wort direkt vor den (*) hat oben drauf zwei Bögen. Die "falsche" Darstellung zeigt sie in der Mitte und rechts, beide zusammengewachsen, bei der "richtigen" Darstellung auf den Screenshots ist ein Bogen links, dann eine Lücke, dann der zweite Bogen rechts auf dem Wort... grinning smiley

Hey good luck with the browser, yes I love it's lightness and fastness too grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 08:09PM by siria.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 20, 2009 08:40PM

Sigh, always so much more fun playing with other people's problems than with the own boring ones *blush* Was doing a quick search on google, no idea if this helps anything, but oh well - just some links...
http://www.click.in/help/language-font/2/hindi-unicode-font-help.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Multilingual_support_(Indic)
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=240914
http://blacksapphire.com/firefox-rtl/

Date: November 20, 2009 08:47PM

Sounds like complex font rendering was not fully functional before GRE 1.9?

Maybe this is a pictured idea for getting Indic languages support?

Disrupted, Do You have complex font support and extra fonts e.g. Arabic?

p.s. Ja, nach einigem Suchen. Schon das erste Zeichen (Links).
Die MS Unterstützung für 98/ME ist beendet.

Hatte sowas e.g. 4 CN unter ME - mußte neu aufsetzen - das war's, weil ich nicht gesammelt hatte. Heute könnte man alte Sachen auf den Seiten von Museen und Unis finden.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 10:04PM by guenter.

Date: November 20, 2009 11:19PM

sorry, i didnt read the xp part, i thought you two used win 2k and thought maybe that was the reason hindi displayed similarly on your systems. besides greek, i don't really have additional language-specific fonts.. languages rendered through unicode, like hindi, arabic, hebrew etc are by default supported by the regular system fonts like arial and times new roman and should not require to install an extra language-specific font unless the sites asks for it (few cases in greek and armenian sites). it's not a gecko thing because hindi is rendered on my system as unicode using arial.

this i think could be related.. if you open language and regional settings, i think you will need to install complex scripts and support for east asian which i think installs different system fonts for arial, system, lucida console etc that have embedded support for other languages.. also under advanced, check code version conversion tables and make sure you select something related to hindi..it's a long list and i just check them all when installing xp to get over the unicode headaches and be certain that the system supports all languages..you don't need all that, just select the language you want.. i just had them all installed because i used to beta test for miranda. if you want to install everything..you will need about 1 gb of hd space

gunter: http://kmext.sf.net/tests/smfont.zip

ps you will need you xp cd to install the above things

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 11:32PM by disrupted.

Date: November 21, 2009 09:32AM

disrupted

what's your windows version?

Your Unicode settings look little different than mine. my system is missing that 'Ornate' font '215000EURO' if that matters here. I really don't know.

I am on 'Windows XP Home SP3'

I will install 'Complex Script' and East Indian Languages support and tell you If that works.

But I am curious at present pages looks OK on IE without any extra font/script support. this problem is only evident in Mozilla Products.

@guenter thanks for Hindi Fonts links. I have already installed many of them. Also Win XP has built-in Hindi Unicode font named 'Mangal'in most systems. I will look if I am missing something. Thanks

@siria thanks for links and time. I will dig into those to see I find something useful.

I am glad that I chose K-Meleon, this forum is full of helpful people. Thanks.

Date: December 12, 2009 04:04PM

Sorry for late reply,

Installing 'Language support on Win XP worked. Thanks a lot..

For Hindi only the first one 'Support for complex scripts. is required, one can ignore 'East Asian' if dont need that.

Posted by: Aakkii
Date: January 08, 2013 06:43AM

Hi,

I am having a similar problem.
I have created my report in iReport tool and then through jasper report i have converted it into PDF . Now in PDF hindi text which is been displayed is not comming properly.
I have set the
pdfFontName = Arila Unicode MS,
pdfEncoding="Identity-H",
pdfEmbeded="true"

Then also i am facing the problem could you please help me out.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.