I lost acces to kmeleon
Posted by: jose
Date: November 15, 2009 04:35PM

When I click to access the kmeleon browser, nothing happens, the computer doesn't obey. I was using kmeleon during several months.

Re: I lost acces to kmeleon
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 15, 2009 06:49PM

@ jose

When you say that you click on K-Meleon, are you clicking on a shortcut or are you clicking on the executible file itself? If it is a shortcut, make sure the shortcut's target property still points to the correct executible file. Right click on the shortcut to check its properties.

You might also try CTRL ALT DEL and check the processes to make sure it is not already running somewhere.

If none of the above show any problem, then navigate to your k-meleon.exe or k-meleonW9x.exe (depending on your ops sys) and double click on the file. Check to see if anything at all happens.

If you are running as a user and not as admin, make sure you have execute authority for the folder where KM is installed.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: November 15, 2009 07:59PM

James, I look at properties, then click to go to destiny, then it goes to file D, in the file D I find Kmeleon, but it doesn't help. There are some language difficulties, but I think the windows is blocking it.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 15, 2009 09:27PM

What K-Meleon version and what Windows version are you using?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 15, 2009 11:51PM

I use windows xp.
It seems that I have more than one kmeleon browser. One was 1.5.
Yesterday, when I lost access to kmeleon, I downloaded a brazilian version of kmeleon 3.2. It worked very well. Today I lost access to this version too.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 16, 2009 05:15AM

it's alright jose. it seems that the brazilian version used the same profile and that might have caused the prodile(settings) to become bad.. when you open k-meleon it can't run with bad settings

try to do this:
go to kmeleon profile folder, on xp, it should be there:
C:\documents and settings[your user name on the computer]\Application Data\K-Meleon

please note, on a non-english windows xp the path name will be different in portuguese, something like:
C:\documentos...[your user name on the computer]\Applicacionas..\K-Meleon

anyway, delete kmeleon folder and try to run kmeleon again..i think it will work fine.

if you can't find the kmeleon folder in documetos then, then look inside kmeleon install folder for a folder called profiles:
c:\programmos\k-meleon\profiles and delete the profiles folder.. hopefully this will fix the problem.

best of luck

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 16, 2009 08:13AM

Read more about Profile folder in FAQ.

If you are using more than one K-Meleon (or clones) it's recomended to use a profile.ini file to locate a profile in each KM directory.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 16, 2009 10:58PM

I decided to uninstall que kmeleon 1.5. After that, the brazilian kmeleon that worked only in the instalation session, continued to not work. Then I decided uninstall this version too. Then I decided to install the brazilian 3.2 version again, the windows answered that there is invalid data, so I couldn't install it.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 17, 2009 05:25PM

@ jose

This is a long shot, but since your other installs do not currently work, maybe you could try a 7z load in English. To do that, go to the "Download" link on this page and download the 1.5.3 version in 7z. Note, you will have to install the 7z program in order to use this. You can get 7z here. http://www.7-zip.org/

Create a folder in program files and name it "KMeleon_153". Right click on the KM 7z download file and choose 7z. From that menu choose "Extract Files" and extract them to your Program files/KMeleon_153 folder. Click on the "k-meleon.exe file. KM should start and create a new profile in order to run.

Best of luck.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 17, 2009 08:52PM

It's simpliest than this:

When installing a version of K-Meleon, just add the version in the path to allow multiple install, and check or uncheck (I don't remember what is exactly the sentence) during setup the parameter concerning where is to be located the profile folder.

You then will be able to use more version of K-Meleon ,not simultaneously, obviously, without problem.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 08:34PM by JujuLand.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 18, 2009 08:09PM

i think it's check for multiple users option? not very sure..haven't installed km in ages

Posted by: siria
Date: November 18, 2009 08:46PM

IIRC... If you say "multiple" profiles, they will land outside, in the systems app folder, and if it's told at setup that one needs only one single profile, it will be inside the KM-program-folder smiling smiley Which doesnt seem to mean that afterwards you couldn't create there multiple profiles too, it's only in the beginning that this checkmark decides whether the profile.ini file will be set to "relative" profiles (inside) or not (outside).

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 19, 2009 05:32AM

Yes - like siria & the others say. De-select multiple user support during install is easiest.

With multy user support the Profiles are in "username.../%apdata%/K-Meleon/..."
That is where XP (and other NT based Windows) finds them when the user with that name starts the PC and wants to use K-Meleon.

When You give every K-Meleon install a unique name and set it up without multi user support each K-Meleon has by default a profile in its install directory.
So all users of the PC can see/use each others profiles.

You may have to grant writing privileges to the K-Meleon install folder.
You can give the rights inside the profiles directory and chose different
for each user.

Another way is to keep multy user support & create different profiles with unique names that belong to the different installed K-Meleons. Here also every K-Meleon needs its own unique install folder name.

I have for example:
./program files/K-Meleon0.7de-DE

./program files/K-Meleon1.5.2pt-BR-test

(The translation by Xgrind! The translation is for the official 1.5.4pt-BR version, all technical problems of 1.5.2 are AFAIK fixed.) 1.5.4 will hopefully be out soon.)

./program files/K-Meleon1.5.2de-DE
./program files/K-Meleon1.5.3en-US
./program files/k-Meleon1.5.3de-DE

plus many test and older versions. Each has its own profiles. All can be used unless another K-Meleon is started already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 05:35AM by guenter.

Date: December 23, 2009 02:58AM

After many lost work, I decided to download the german version, I thought perhaps the "enemy" in the computer doesn't speak german and won't recognize it. The download was ok, but it did't work. Some weeks after, it works, only the time to begin with the initial page is a bit big.
Otherwise, in the initial page,it's writen at the top: chrome and other words. What chrome has to do with kmeleon?

Posted by: siria
Date: December 23, 2009 03:41AM

Hey, uhm, but you're not thinking now of googles chrome, are you....? Because KM is a "little" older than that browser! And its "chrome" folders have been in it forever, and that has absolutely nothing to do with googles freely invented name for their new browser, they probably just wanted to find some "shiny" sounding name for it....

But there's some little bug in KM, it seems that sometimes it "forgets" the homepage and shows that strange page, It' still it's "own" component chrome of course, no real problem, just set your correct home-page again to "repair" it smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.