Submenu Delay Vanished
Posted by: Mr Lapin
Date: March 23, 2009 08:03AM

I have the string user_pref("ui.submenuDelay", 7000); in my prefs.js file so the bookmark menus don't get spastic on me (I'd rather they wait until I click them).

Now abruptly the delay is gone, and the menus are all twitchy again. I didn't change anything and the above string is still in the prefs.js file.

What's wrong? Anyone know how I can fix it?

Thanks!

Re: Submenu Delay Vanished
Date: March 23, 2009 08:06AM

Forgot to mention that this is KM 1.5.0 I'm running. The OS is Win98SE (last one standing ;-).

Thanks again.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 23, 2009 09:09AM

This pref is part of Firefox and K-Meleon 0.7 - 1.6.pre-alpha speed tweaks. :O
You probably wrote it into old user.js Yourself

Forum Search does not work well. sad smiley I found by Google. eye rolling smiley
Your Win98 PC likely qualifies as fast smiling smiley
K-Meleon size has not grown much since ages. grinning smiley
And You are @ dslohio so connection is ok?

You will find the whole info in General Forum several times. E.g. here :B

Hope this helps.

If not use part of the text and Google narrow search by adding words like "K-Meleon Forum" ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2009 09:12AM by guenter.

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 24, 2009 12:51AM

@ Mr Lapin

Navigate to the following registry file.

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Control Panel\Desktop

And set MenuShowDelay to the desired delay in milliseconds.
If MenuShowDelay does not exist, right click on the right window pane and select New > String Value and set the Value name as MenuShowDelay and in the Data box enter the time in miliseconds and click on OK.

But first I would suggest creating a System Restore point, or right click on Desktop and select "Export" to create a backup of the key folder in case you are not happey with the result.

BTW, I set mine to 400 as I do not like to wait for ever for menus to open. It was a bit tricky at first but I found that moving the mouse pointer diagonally made the short delay tollerable.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2009 12:59AM by caktus.

Date: March 24, 2009 05:46AM

Thanks, Charlie! You nailed it. I had a major OS upheaval recently, and apparently some settings got changed behind my back. It's all better now.

I take it from what Guenter says that KM has not been listening to my prefs.js request to go slow on the menus for several versions now -- but since I had menu speed configured in the OS, I didn't know that.

BTW, TweakUI makes this OS adjustment without the need to blunder about and knock things over in the registry.

Been using KM for several years now. It's perfect for older, slower machines, but I use it even on faster, newer ones because I like the "tweakiness."

Well done, friends.

Posted by: caktus
Date: March 24, 2009 09:42PM

@ Mr Lapin

Glad you get it worked out.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.