ZoneAlarm & K-Meleon
Posted by: Rene
Date: February 14, 2009 01:47AM

Any suggestions to get K-Meleon 1.52 working with ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.302. IE 6.0.290 0 & Firefox 1.08 can both access the internet. K-Meleon only works when I shutdown ZoneAlarm, otherwise "Failed to connect" page comes up. ZoneAlarm does not automatically detect that K-Meleon's is trying to access the internet (other than as Generic Host Process). Went through K-Meleon's preferences but didn't see anything.

Thanks,
Rene

Re: ZoneAlarm & K-Meleon
Posted by: guenter
Date: February 14, 2009 06:29AM

Put Z.A. in learning mode (I do not use Your version so I do not know how).
Popup: A new Program is trying to... click "yes", and check box "remember".

If this cannot be done it is a Z.A. bug.

p.s. My Z.A. is always in Learning mode. Control that You have not disallowed K-Meleon.

Date: February 14, 2009 07:13PM

ZoneAlarm Pro appears to be working normally as far as detecting applications trying get internet access and prompting. It specifically does not prompt with K-Meleon though. In ZoneAlarm if I set "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" to "Ask" if internet access is requested, then when I run K-Meleon, ZoneAlarm does prompt that GHP wants to connect. It never prompts for the K-Meleon application itself. Firefox on the otherhand actually is detected as "Firefox" by ZoneAlarm If I set it's application permission to "Ask" in ZoneAlarm then it does prompt. In any case K-Meleon still has the "Failed to Connect" page.

K-Meleon looks like a great browser...hope I can actually get it browsing on my system.

Thanks,
Rene

Posted by: Yogi
Date: February 17, 2009 04:06PM

I never used ZA so I can't answer your question.
The best place to ask would be a ZA user forum.
However if ZA never prompts for K-Meleon itself than either you have misconfigured your firewall or ZA is a trash can candidate.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 17, 2009 10:34PM

Sorry to hear about Your Z.A. problem without being able to help;
I must admit ignorance! Best: Ask their forum - IMHO it is their bug.

p.s. I am afraid, I use older Z.A.= a fine product. But I do not know anything about the newest buggy version. Seems Z.A. has retarded since the version I use sad smiley

BTW. Your post is the 2nd similar complaint about Z.A. in a short period.
I can say nothing but that I agree with Yogy about his personal evaluation of current Z.A.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 10:48PM by guenter.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: February 18, 2009 07:52AM

@guenter

Since you are an old ZA user I uploaded a White Paper from ZoneLabs.
In case you didn't read it before, it might be of some interest.
Interesting that the vast majority of ZA users never read this document although it was public.
I recall there have been several threads on DSLR about ZA phoning home. One of them grew to an impressive lenght, untill it got closed. I digged for it and finally found it.
It's indeed funny how in a while somebody discovers that ZA phones home, waves of outcries overrun security boards untill all gets forgotten. Than after a few years somebody else makes the (same) sensational 'discovery'.

I can't tell if ZA is still phoning home, all I know is that ZoneLabs was taken over by Checkpoint few years ago.

Date: February 19, 2009 09:57PM

guenter, yogi thanks for your responses.

Just thought I'd mention that I updated ZoneAlarm Pro to V7.0.483 the latest 7 version from their website, but no improvement. I had been using the 7 version since a re-did my Windows installation (almost two years ago) and this is the first trouble app. I use a wide variety of internet apps, vpn, etc that ZoneAlarm functions with.

Yogi, I read the white paper, but to me it just sounded like ZA was trying to market their TrueVector technology to other developers. The phoning home doesn't sound too good though.

Guenter, do you have a link to the other post with a ZA problem? Kind of curious if it is the same issue.

Anyway, thanks again.
Rene

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.