Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
last.fm memory leak
Posted by: 666
Date: January 22, 2009 02:04PM

K-Meleon 1.5.2 on Windows XP

When I play music on last.fm K-Meleon's memory usage goes through the roof. It looks like every track adds a few megabytes to K-M's memory consumption, so after a while it uses hundreds of megabytes and crashes.

Is there a way to fix this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: last.fm memory leak
Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 22, 2009 04:54PM

woa.. pretty weird. i was watching mem usage in taskmanager like a file download progress.. increasing with every second. kinda reminded me of desgas contraption game.. but that was justified; it's a heavily interactive game with lots of actionscript but this is only streaming audio??

tested with other browsers: firehoax 1.5 and 2, opera and qtwebkit.. same thing.
thought maybe it was flash 10 plug-in issue, replaced npswf32 with version 9. memory keeps growing aswell.

i don't know if that could be fixable..it's obviously a very badly executed flash stream. i suggest a hate mail to last.fm

testing:
https://www.last.fm/login?r=1&backto=%2Flisten%2Fartist%2FDire%252BStraits%2Fsimilarartists
user: kmeleontesters
pass: fuckfm

so anyway.. how've you been..how are things in inferno?

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 22, 2009 05:00PM

Check if you have last Flash plugin version installed.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 22, 2009 05:53PM

i've tested with flash 10 but not the latest version.. i'll go to adobe and get the last one but desga, it seems the bug is not in flash plugin itself but the streaming player last.fm is using.. the memory keeps growing endlessly when music is playing not just when changing tracks..it goes on forever. i haven't waited till it crashes the browsers.. but crashing them will undoubtedly be inevitable sad smiley
it just depends on how much free ram the system has.. more ram will just take longer before it crashes.

the only way it seems to stop this madness is, after playing a song or 2; closing the browser or the last.fm tab and starting over again

edit: same thing with latest flash 10.0.12.36.. it's definitely a problem in last.fm's stream player.. they need a complaint email.
i also discovered that adobe now needs a geckoisgecko idiots guide mail

previously, they'd give you a direct link if your browser is not listed.. now they removed that option and to them..if you're using windows; you should either be using ie or fireshit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 06:22PM by disrupted.

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 22, 2009 07:08PM

Work fine for me in K-Meleon 1.5.2 and Firefox 2.0.0.20 with Flash 10 plugin.

Yes, it's true that memory growning when playing radio song, but when song finished and then change song/disc this memory is released (or at least partially). (Same happend in Firefox)

If you K-Meleon memory not stop to growning you can minimize and restore K-Meleon window, this released a lot of memory in K-Meleon.

Also you can try to configure Flash data store in Settings Manager.

I think that this memory is released when K-Meleon memory cache is full. For me this memory is released when this have over 50 MB of memory and this start about 10 MB again and continue growning in cyclical mode.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2009 07:09PM by desga2.

Posted by: Drahken
Date: March 24, 2009 12:39PM

Try going into about:config, or editing the prefs.js file & change the prefetch option to "false".
Whenever prefetch is turned on, you can watch KM's memory consumption skyrocket & continue to climb endlessly. Unfortunately, due to the nature of prefetching, it's difficult to tell if it's merely prefetching as it';s supposed to, or if it's the result of some kind of bug/leak. In either case, it causes KM to consume massive ammts of memory & become very sluggish, and it doesn't even make a noticable improvement in page load speed unless you're on some insanely lagging connection.

----
"People who live in glass houses ....should close the friggin curtains!"

Posted by: 666
Date: April 15, 2009 12:15PM

Prefetch is already switched off, so the problem is somewhere else. It's a sort of general memory leak problem on many sites with Flash, and their number is growing. It's not just memory. Some Flash objects make K-M use 100% processor cycles, which slows down my entire computer.

So we need a general method to stop K-M from choking on Flash: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,90027,90027 .

Don't know if it can be fixed in K-M itself, but the same sites work OK in IE and Opera on my computer. So apparently it's possible to make a browser tolerant to leaky Flash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2009 12:16PM by 666.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.