v1.5.1 - PDF download
Posted by: ujr
Date: October 23, 2008 12:47PM

Hi,
I'm using KMeleon 1.5.1.
I configured MIME application/pdf such that all PDFs should be written to disk. My PDF reader is PDF XChange Viewer by DocuTrack, however I disabled it showing PDFs inside the browser.
This configuration used to work with 1.5.0. However, since I upgraded to 1.5.1 clicking a link to a PDF hangs KMeleon. It still can switch layers, it can be closed, but links don't work anymore, opening the about box just opens a new empty window.
When I downgrade to 1.5.0 everything's fine again, upgrade to 1.5.1 another time shows the described behaviour.
Is this a known issue? Can somebody confirm it?
Best regards

Re: v1.5.1 - PDF download
Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 23, 2008 07:00PM

there might be a problem/conflict with that plugin with 1.5.1 but it doesn't sound like a bug with 1.5.1., more like an issue with the adobe plugin which was never perfect. when i tested the adobe acrobat plugin with 1.5.1, there was a slight freeze-up compared to 1.5.0 which handled better.. but it didn't cause problems with links etc. i don't know if your viewer application xchange has a browser plugin, i doubt that it does and the plugin in question is probably adobe's nppdf32.dll

first try this:
click on edit>MIME types
kmeleon helper applications should open, select application/pdf, click the edit button and check> always ask me how to handle this file

this should prompt you to download or save a pdf file when clicked and should fix the freeze

test there:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/lisu/downloads/op37.pdf

if it still acts-up and you don't ever need to open pdfs inside kmeleon, then try removing the plugin altogether.. in kmeleon click on help> about plugins

a window will open showing all registered plugins.. look for the plugin for pdf.. npxchange? .dll or something and should show the associated *.pdf, now that you know the name of that plugin for example npxchangepdf.dll, go to kmeleon/plugins folder and rename it to npxchangepdf.frozen.. if it's not in the kmeleon's folder and registered through firefox then do a file search for it(possibly will be in firefox's folder or the xchange program's folder itself) and rename the extension.

if the plugin handling pdf in about plugins is nppdf32.dll (adobe's plugin:which is probably the case), that means that adobe acrobat is the one responsible for handling them in kmeleon and not xchange.. in that case, go to where adobe reader is installed and you should find it in the adobeacrobat/browser directory, rename its extension nppdf32.froz

Date: October 27, 2008 09:46AM

Hi -
thank you for your answer and hints.
It turns out that the problem is *not* restricted to pdf.
Every MIME type that is configured to be saved without asking will hang K-Meleon. Try it with .zip, for instance.
As soon as I set the "Ask me" option everything is fine.
If this is not known I will report it as a bug.
Best regards

Date: October 27, 2008 10:18AM

ujr
If this is not known I will report it as a bug.

Well, it's a pity I cannot login to the BTS with my forum account. And I cannot create a new account with my user name, because "it already exists". Is there anything I need to know in order to "migrate" to the BTS?
Thanks

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: October 27, 2008 11:17AM

urj, it seems to me that you're having a misconfiguration in your profile because i do have many mime files(zip is mime file? it shouldn't be actually) and they don't freeze k-meleon

before reporting it as a bug, try this:
open profiles manager(from edit menu)
create a new profile and select\ask at startup

restart k-meleon and select the newly created file.. test downloading some of those files.. see if it will still freeze.. if it's still causing problems; then most most likely you're having bad plugins or conflicting plugins that it being a kmeleon bug..

do this: go to k-meleon >help menu> select about plugins
in the about plugins page, check to see the plugin names that are responsible for handling the mime types that you chose to save to disk.. also check if there are more than one plugin that handle the same extension.

now that you know the names of those plugins, go to k-meleon folder/plugins
rename the extension of those plugins so to temporarily disable them
e.g someplugin.dll > someplugin.frozen
(note: some plugins might not be in k-meleon's plugins folder but elsewhere on your computer and registered through the registry.. in that case do a windows file search for them.. and rename their extension)

- i also don't like the idea of zip files being handled as mime.. binaries like exe or compressed files should not be registered as mime types and associated with plugins to the browser (except with download managers) and should be downloaded directly.

after that.. test again and if it still causes freeze ups..then it might be a k-meleon bug

Date: October 27, 2008 05:18PM

Okay - I renamed the complete profile and let KMeleon create a new one (that appears to be the fastest way to have a new profile and go back to the old one later).
First of all, there's no MIME definition at all. In my old profile (which was updated a couple of times from older KMeleon's) I had lots of it: application/doc, application/pdf, application/zip, audio/mp3, a.s.o.
So I created a simple application/pdf:

(You'll surely understand the german screenshot...).

So now clicking on a link to PDF hangs KMeleon. If I set the "Ask me" option everything works (as mentioned before).

Date: October 27, 2008 08:07PM

hi ujr, to recreate your problem, i set my pdf/handling identical to yours and went to download a pdf file.. the download dialog initiated instantly without any problems, i came to a few conclusions(and i might be wrong but try them anyways)

first don't try to set a mime type manually from the mime types options dialog, if that mime type is already registered through a plugin..i think the proper way to do it is this: (using that newly created profile)

first delete the pdf mime type from the mime dialog then go to preferences

edit>preferences
in preferences, click on file types and select by type tab

if you find pdf listed there (you should if you have adobe's reader).. then double click on it and select'save to disk'

now go to to mime types dialog again, you should now find pdf listed automatically in there.. now double click on it and deselect ask me before saving and check if it still freezes.

you say this happens with other files also not just pdf, so i think you should first check in preferences> file handling first to see if there's a plugin to handle those file types..

if there is, then set how to handle it from there first before manually adding it from mime types(it could be a conflict between what you're adding and the plugin if available)

if a plugin doesn't exist for that type, then manually add it in mime types and it's very important before adding this type to make absolutely sure.. that you're adding it with it's right classification as how its' registered in windows registry.

to check that..do this, open regedit:
and if you ant to check the classification of pdf..they search for .pdf etc

if you followed these steps and it's still freezing up, then if you did a dirty install of 1.5.1 on top of a previous version.. i suggest a clean install, that is..uninstall k-meleon completely and delete all files(you can make a backup of your profile in there are important settings/bookmarks etc) because maybe with dirty install some old essential files were not rewritten or replaced with the newer ones.

hope this works.. goodluck

Date: October 27, 2008 08:11PM

also.. it might be due to a download manager plugin, like orbit or getright etc that is registered to handle those added filetypes and is conflicting with k-meleon when it tries to download those files.. if you know of any download managers plugins registered to kmeleon.. try to disable those plugins or open the download manager's preferences and disable its file monitoring for k-meleon.. also if you have 0get plugin installed, look into that aswell..cause that too might be trying to get the file at the same time k-meleon tries to download it..

Date: October 28, 2008 08:47AM

Hi disrupted
thank you for your continued assistance and patience.
Unfortunately there's no change whatever I try.
As you suggested I made a backup copy of my profile, did a clean install of kmeleon (en-us as well as de-de without a difference in behaviour).
I do not have Acrobat Reader installed, the PDF X-Change browser plugin is not active (as about:plugins shows) at first. There's no other plugin handling pdf, no download manager, just these:
Mozilla Default Plug-in
Shockwave Flash
Silverlight Plug-In
Windows Presentation Foundation
Java(TM) Platform SE6
Microsoft® DRM
Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
When I click a PDF KMeleon asks, whether I want to save or open it.
Now I activate the PDF X-Change plugin, go to file handling in preferences and edit .pdf to just save the file. The MIME type is created and automatically set to not ask whether to open or save the file.
Selecting a link to a PDF file hangs KMeleon as before.

There are at least two strange things here:
1) You cannot reproduce the problem with the same settings
2) It only happens with 1.5.1, not 1.5.0

Anybody else could try it please?

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 28, 2008 09:46AM

yes.. this is very mind-boggling, i even tried registering zip asmime and download without asking.. didn't give me any problems either

if it's possible, can you please upload those 2 plugins (x-change pdf and silverlight) somewhere and post them links.. or you can send them to my email
openbsd6 AT googlemail DOT com
just send the dlls: npsilverlight?.dll npxchange.dll
i want to check something out.. thanks

p.s. if you're going to email them, just send them as they are(no compressing), or if they are too big, compress with 7z.. not zip because google rejects emails with zip attackments

Date: October 29, 2008 10:05AM

disrupted
if it's possible, can you please upload those 2 plugins (x-change pdf and silverlight) somewhere and post them links..

Hmm - I'm not sure whether the dlls will help without the corresponding program. If you want, you could get the PDF viewer at http://www.docu-track.com/download/PDFXVwer.zip and Silverlight at http://silverlight.net/GetStarted

At least regarding the pdf viewer - the problem will persist without the plugin after the MIME type has been created.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.