Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
K-Meleon 1.5 hangs on tab 36
Posted by: datiswous
Date: August 11, 2008 08:52AM

When I open 36 new tabs (on a full row) it hangs on tab 36 (tab-amount might be depended on the screen resolution, at his moment this is 1024x768)

I do use this amount of tabs regularly so it is important for me. K-Meleon 1.1.6 didn't have this problem (with layers).

Didn't test this in other Gecko browsers yet, but it wasn't a problem in Maxthon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2008 11:44AM by datiswous.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon 1.5 hangs on tab 36
Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: August 11, 2008 10:39AM

i opened upto 50 tabs on 1.5(10246x768) with absolutely no crashes or errors (twice for confirmation), didn't even consume much memory, it might be due to your system, are you using xp or 98?

Posted by: elroy
Date: August 12, 2008 06:07AM

i have the same problem,the system is vista,and the cpu is up to 50%

Posted by: datiswous
Date: August 12, 2008 09:29AM

elroy: That probably means you have a dual core pc so it is 100% on one core (or you might have Hyper Treading on Pentium 4).

It seams that it only happens when you have the tabbar up (-not down) in the browser window and the tabbar is sepperated from the tab/window buttons-toolbar.

When you have set the minimum width of tabs different then the maximum width, everytime you open a couple of new tabs it resizes all the tabs. Until it cannot go smaller (width 10mm?). But with this bug it somehow stops making the tabs smaller and then the browser hangs. Although I don't know this for sure, it does look like it.

I've found a workaround for this problem:

When you go to Edit -> Preferences -> Browsing -> Tabbed Browsing -> Tab Bar
When you make the minimum button width the same as the maximum button width, you browser will not hang anymore when making new tabs. I've made them all 10mm.

It worked for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2008 09:33AM by datiswous.

Posted by: elroy
Date: August 12, 2008 01:44PM

thanks,datiswous
It works for me,too

Posted by: kko
Date: August 12, 2008 04:06PM

datiswous
When I open 36 new tabs (on a full row) it crashes on tab 36

Well, does it hang or does it crash?
hangs = doesn't respond anymore (or very slowly) --> check CPU usage
crashes = closes unexpectedly

Is it with any 36 tabs/pages or only with certain 36 tabs/pages (a saved session for instance)?

datiswous
elroy: That probably means you have a dual core pc so it is 100% on one core (or you might have Hyper Treading on Pentium 4).

Yep, and such a high CPU/core load is usually caused by badly designed Flash applets somewhere on a page. Try it with Flashblock enabled (Tools > Privacy > Block Flash).

datiswous
It seams that it only happens when you have the tabbar up (-not down) in the browser window and the tabbar is sepperated from the tab/window buttons-toolbar.

I cannot imagine that.

datiswous
When you have set the minimum width of tabs different then the maximum width, everytime you open a couple of new tabs it resizes all the tabs. Until it cannot go smaller (width 10mm?). But with this bug it somehow stops making the tabs smaller and then the browser hangs. Although I don't know this for sure, it does look like it.

I've found a workaround for this problem:

When you go to Edit -> Preferences -> Browsing -> Tabbed Browsing -> Tab Bar
When you make the minimum button width the same as the maximum button width, you browser will not hang anymore when making new tabs. I've made them all 10mm.

It worked for me.

Make the following test: Restore the maximum button width to its default size and try it with a noticeably smaller window (not maximized). If your suspicion were true, the browser should crash/hang with a noticeably smaller number of tabs...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.