Bugs :  K-Meleon Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Translation problem
Posted by: line
Date: January 16, 2005 05:47PM

Hello.

I'm trying to translate menus.cfg (in 0.9 RC2) into Japanese.
Translation itself went well, but K-Meleon reads it improperly (menu items look garbled or sometimes disappear). I suspect that K-Meleon has something wrong with the treatment of Japanese (double-byte) characters.
I found the way not to show garbage characters or disappear the menu items. That is to enclose the strings of menu items in double or single quotes.
This way is good for proper display of menu strings, but a bad point also exists that quote marks itself is still shown. It looks ugly...
Following URL is the screenshot. You can see that most menu items are in double quote marks. If there're no quotes, we cannot get the correct display, though.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/linehp/imgs/km.png

I'd like to ask K-Meleon developers to trim the quote marks both side of a menu item in menus.cfg when a item string is surrounded by them, or read the strings correctly.

Regards,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Translation problem
Posted by: rmn
Date: January 16, 2005 09:01PM

Try enclosing the accelerator indicators using characters other than ( and ). The presence of ( indicates a plugin call.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Translation problem
Posted by: rmn
Date: January 16, 2005 09:04PM

Oh, and obviously don't use { either. Use < or [

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Translation problem
Posted by: line
Date: January 16, 2005 10:40PM

rmn, Thanks for your advice. I knew first time ever that I can use &lt; or [ instead of (.
But it is not the point I wanted to say. Let me talk more concretely.
For example, originally in menus.cfg on line 175:

Find Pre&amp;v\tShift+F3 = ID_EDIT_FINDPREV

I translated this menu item as follows:

‘O‚ðŒŸõ<&amp;V>\tShift+F3 = ID_EDIT_FINDPREV

Then I saved menus.cfg, started K-Meleon and saw the menu item. And it was presented as:

O‚ðŒŸõ<V> Shift+F3

It was not the expected presentment. The character '‘O' turned into 'O'! So I changed the description:

"‘O‚ðŒŸõ<&amp;V>"\tShift+F3 = ID_EDIT_FINDPREV

And it was presented as:

"‘O‚ðŒŸõ<V>" Shift+F3

Well, no characters got garbled this time. But the quote marks were annoying.
So, I have been looking for ways to erase quote marks (or other way to display the menu strings correctly). Any ideas?

Regards,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Translation problem
Posted by: rmn
Date: January 17, 2005 01:20AM

I thought the problem was caused by the ( sign, but apparently not....

A few things I'm curious about:
- Do characters other that " and ' work, too? (*+- etc)
- (Looking at the screenshot) the menu entries that aren't quoted are the ones that doesn't have the accelerator displayed, is that right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Translation problem
Posted by: line
Date: January 17, 2005 08:28PM

>- Do characters other that " and ' work, too? (*+- etc)
Following characters were shown themselves correctly.
[ ; \ / % $ # ! ~ ^ @ ` + - * ? . , <

>- (Looking at the screenshot) the menu entries that aren't quoted are the ones that doesn't have the accelerator displayed, is that right?
In the Edit menu ("•ÒW" in the past screenshot), yes, that's right. However, in the File menu, that is not right (Screenshot).
Because the strings do not get garbled within "macros()". I don't know why, but it works. (I should say this in my fisrt post, sorry.)
The most (probably all) menu items that are not quoted are descripted as like this:

macros(SavePage, –¼‘O‚ð•t‚¯‚Ä•Û‘¶<&amp;A>...\tCtrl+S)

Is there any difference on the handling of strings between normal menu item and macros() in .cfg files?

Regards,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Translation problem
Posted by: rmn
Date: January 17, 2005 09:00PM

Uh, I give up, but I'll post in the development mailing list about this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Translation problem
Posted by: line
Date: January 17, 2005 10:32PM

Hello.

>Uh, I give up, but I'll post in the development mailing list about this.
Thanks a lot. I hope some solutions would be found.

Best regards,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Translation problem
Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: January 22, 2005 04:12PM

I also met same problems when translating menus into Chinese (0.9 version). I havn't met this kind of problems in translating 0.8.2+. It is pretty weired. Seems 0.9 dosn't support unicode well.

Hao

Options: ReplyQuote


K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.