Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
K-Meleon Bugs.
Posted by: ducksoup
Date: January 25, 2002 11:58PM

Hi,
Sorry if these have already been mentioned, however I haven't got the time to rifle thru all the previous forum postings. Now for the "bugs" I've noticed:

1. In Preferences: Automatic Proxy Configuration URL just DOES NOT work! I entered the same URL I use in Internet Explorer, and all K-Meleon does is present me with a blank page when launched with the new settings. It doesn't even attempt to connect to the internet (I'm on dial-up btw).

2. Just an observation: coloured scrollbars, which I am led to believe are done with CSS 2, do not show up with K-Meleon. IE5.5, IE6.0 of course show them, however K-Meleon doesn't.

3. On the subject of scrollbars, my wheel-mouse doesn't work with K-Meleon at all. Would it be too much of a hassle to include mouse-wheel support?

4. Default browser: whilst it is nice K-Meleon offers to take over the HTML file association, it would be better if it also takes over the URL settings as well, so it can truly be your default browser.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Bugs.
Posted by: Nick
Date: January 26, 2002 01:46AM

Are these bugs?

"...however I haven't got the time to rifle thru all the previous forum postings" [sic]

There is a search function in these forums.

K-Meleon is 100% great at this stage. Try working with it, rather than hoping someone else can 'rifle thru all the postings' for you.

Nick

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 26, 2002 01:49AM

Ducksoup,

1. Known bug and fix:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=25

and

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/kmeleon/kautoproxy.htm

2. Pretty sure this is a Mozilla issue dealing with the scrollbar widgets.

3. Mouse-wheel support is provided in K-Meleon. Make sure that your driver is up-to-date. If it is, repost here with your mouse/driver so that we can check that out.

4. I believe this is a known issue. Hopefully, someone can confirm/deny on this one.

For future reference, a good place to check is in the Bugs area listed in the site menu. That will let you check to see what bugs have already been files. Posting them in the forum means that sometimes they get lost in the traffic of postings.

Andrew

Posted by: Nick
Date: January 26, 2002 01:53AM

That is what I said Andrew... but you put it a bit better than me winking smiley

Nick

Posted by: Deft
Date: January 26, 2002 04:31PM

About the scrollbar thing, that's an MS thing, not part of any standard. Oh, and my mousewheel works fine, with no drivers on top of win98 (and it's optical!)...

Date: January 27, 2002 03:02AM

>1. Known bug and fix:

>http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=25

>and

>http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/kmeleon/kautoproxy.htm

Thanks, fixed that problem ok. :-)

>2. Pretty sure this is a Mozilla issue dealing with the scrollbar widgets.

Somehow I was thinking it might be. For full CSS2 support, they might have to look at including this in a future Gecko update.

>3. Mouse-wheel support is provided in K-Meleon. Make sure that your driver is up->to-date. If it is, repost here with your mouse/driver so that we can check that out.

Well, my mouse is a A4 Tech 4d scroll-mouse. It has the conventional horizontal & vertical wheels, plus a button on the side, which when clicked on, locks on the window/page, and allows you to just push the mouse around in order to scroll.
Unfortunately, the latest drivers that A4 have available are actually for the *newer* model wheel-mouse they have which has both wheels vertical (one controls vertical, the other horizontal), and thusly they wont work too well with the mouse I have.

>4. I believe this is a known issue. Hopefully, someone can confirm/deny on this >one.

Someone recommended "SetBrowser" to use to set K-Meleon up as default, however I haven't used it yet. Maybe somebody has had success with it?

>For future reference, a good place to check is in the Bugs area listed in the site >menu. That will let you check to see what bugs have already been files. Posting >them in the forum means that sometimes they get lost in the traffic of postings.

Noted.

Thanks for your help :-)

Posted by: po
Date: January 27, 2002 03:29AM

> Someone recommended "SetBrowser" to use to set K-Meleon up as default,
> however I haven't used it yet. Maybe somebody has had success with it?

it works fine except that you need to manually edit the file associations it sets to NOT use DDE (because k-meleon doesn't, and will open double windows otherwise) so it ends up not being a whole lot more convenient than setting the associations manually... maybe if enough people ask, the author will make the next version more k-meleon-friendly. smiling smiley

Date: January 28, 2002 05:18AM

Ducksoup,

One other thing, I'm not sure if scrollbar properties are a CSS2 issue. I think it might be an IE proprietary setting.

Andrew

Posted by: Kurt
Date: January 28, 2002 09:53AM

Ducksoup,

to the wheel-mouse bug:

Since I'm using a trackball (without any wheel) I assigned button four to the "Universal Scroll"-function, which works pretty well in almost all applications for scrolling in every direction. However, in K-M it seems not to work by just clicking button four inside a window and then scroll, thoug the scroll icon comes up as usual.
So the trick here is: first make a left click in that window (part) you want to scroll and then the Universal Scroll will work with button four on my trackball.
That might work with a wheel-mouse as well in K-M.

The bug here propably is that for K-M it's not clear what to scroll without selecting it first.

Kurt

Posted by: Timoch
Date: January 28, 2002 03:07PM

I'm using a Logitech optical wheel mouse and it scrolls, both by wheel and automatically.

Posted by: sven
Date: January 28, 2002 06:45PM

Scrollbars is IE only thing.

It's value is higly arguable. You don't want webpage to change browsers title bar color, do you? Or perhaps make it blink to get your attention? What about webpage being able to change File menu background, to, say, black? You really wouldn't want nor need that, would you. Why should you allow webpage to change scrollbar?

It's not "pretty or not pretty" thing, it's UI logic thing.

Posted by: Deft
Date: January 28, 2002 08:02PM

The instance when coloured scrollbars are particularly appropriate is when they are inside a page. By which I mean for a frame, iframe, or something with overflow:scroll. In such cases the standard bars can look awful, but as I said (which almost no one seemed to notice) this is nothing to do with any standard. It is entirely a MS invention, CSS2 makes no mention of it at all.

Date: January 28, 2002 09:06PM

Deft,

Must have missed your post in the flurry of responses.

Andrew

Date: January 29, 2002 05:33AM

>The instance when coloured scrollbars are particularly appropriate is when they >are inside a page. By which I mean for a frame, iframe, or something with >overflow:scroll. In such cases the standard bars can look awful, but as I said >(which almost no one seemed to notice) this is nothing to do with any standard. >It is entirely a MS invention, CSS2 makes no mention of it at all.

Actually after doing some investigating it would appear that is right, it being a propriety invention afterall. It however does utilise CSS to do it.

Here's an example:

<style>
BODY { scrollbar-3d-light-color:#999999;
scrollbar-arrow-color:#FFFF33;
scrollbar-base-color:black;
scrollbar-dark-shadow-color:#333333;
scrollbar-face-color:#666666;
scrollbar-highlight-color:#999999;
scrollbar-shadow-color:black}
</style>

Insert that into the head of any HTML document, and coloured scrollbars you have. The colours can be altered quite easily.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.