Bugs :  K-Meleon Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here. But please, for confirmed bugs, use the bug tracker to report and give feedback on bugs.  
japanese display
Posted by: bertrand
Date: January 06, 2002 08:55PM

I installed the language pack (06) for japanese,... but k-meleon doesn't display the japanese character. Instead I have a page full of ????
What did I do wrong, or is there a bug known?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: japanese display
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 07, 2002 01:09AM

Bertrand,

You may need to adjust your font character set to properly display Japanese. There are a couple of preferences that affect this. Add this to your prefs.js:

user_pref("intl.accept_languages", "en-us, ja");
[This tries to determine the language in a web page and selects English first and then Japanese]

Add one of these 3 to select Japanese language sets as a default:

user_pref("intl.charset.default", "EUC-JP");
user_pref("intl.charset.default", "ISO-2022-JP");
user_pref("intl.charset.default", "Shift_JIS");

I'm not familiar with the differences between these so hopefully, you know which one you need.

also add this to try and automatically detect Japanese character sets

user_pref("intl.charset.detector", "ja_parallel_state_machine");

Also, you may need to install fonts to properly display Japanese characters.

Let me know if those do the trick for you.

Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: japanese display
Posted by: andres
Date: January 07, 2002 08:03AM

It seems that I had a simpler solution just experimenting (out of curiosity, I'm not Japanese):

Download Microsoft support packages for Japanese, Chinese and Korean but do not install them. Instead, try to get the true type fonts (*.ttf) out of the installation files (although they are *.exe, they are actually zipped, so you may try to open the installation file in the zip program and then extract only *.ttf). Thereafter install the ttf fonts you found there.You may also take a look at the winpref.js in K-Meleon\defaults\pref and see if the fonts listed respectively correspond to those you have installed (you may have to make changes - e.g. GulimChe works for Korean, for Japanese I have MS Gothic on all lines).

The K-Meleon language pack should also be installed.

That method worked for me for those three languages and I did not have to add any of the lines in the above post to my preferences file. Don't know maybe it's just a coincidence somehow but it works.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: japanese display
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 07, 2002 10:18PM

Andres,

Sometimes just having the right fonts installed does the trick.

From what I understand, K-Meleon tries to auto-detect the appropriate character set. If it can figure out the character set, it tries to display the text in the appropriate font. The preferences help in those situations when the character set can't be determined. Still, language display sometimes seems to be more art than science.

Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote


K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.