Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Kiosk Mode: editing menu.cfg not working
Posted by: Pascal Calarco
Date: November 12, 2001 09:14PM

Hi folks --

I have been working on editing menu preferences in K-Meleon 0.6 with the proxy autoconfig fixes.

Andrew Mutch has some nice docs at http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/mozilla/kmeleon.htm

Problem is, once I've edited out some of the menu items, I can't re-enable them later via direct editing of /profile/menu.cfg

I have saved and restarted the browser, and also rebooted my Win2k SP2 machine to no avail. Anyone run into this problem? Many thanks on any suggestions!

- pascal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kiosk Mode: editing menu.cfg not working
Posted by: po
Date: November 13, 2001 12:44AM

which items were you editing out, and how did you go about it? the menu config file is very picky about the order you do things in, as well as having '&' in the menu item name in EVERY (if any) occurance of the name, i.e., in the definition of a submenu, AND when referencing that submenu in a main menu... dunno if that helps any.

--- po

Date: November 13, 2001 01:05AM

as a last ditch 'reset', you could probably just copy the default menus.cfg (from ...\K-Meleon\defaults\profile) over the one in question, and start fresh...

--- po

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 13, 2001 04:34AM

Pascal,

Make sure that you are editing the menus.cfg in the specific profile directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt). If you edit the menus.cfg here:

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\defaults\profile

you won't see any of the changes. I'll double-check my help pages to make sure that I didn't mess those up. I just updated them the other day so make sure you have the most current version when setting the kiosk mode.

If you still have question, e-mail me directly. My address is under Help - About K-Meleon.

Andrew

Date: November 13, 2001 02:51PM

Hi Andrew and all --

That is what I was doing wrong precisely -- on subsequent editing, I was trying to edit the wrong file. Many thanks for your speedy responses!

We are seriously thinking of using K-Meleon as a replacement for NS Communicator 4.5 on the public workstations at Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries. This would involve ~200 workstations, set up in kiosk mode. We'll be working up a few test machines soon to have our users try out. The kiosk mode and auto proxy configuration features of K-Meleon make it the best browser available for academic libraries such as ours! Netscape Mission Command Desktop hasn't been updated for NS 6.x, so we are compelled to look at alternatives and K-Meleon may just be it!

Kudos on a great product, guys!

- pascal

---------------------------------------
Pascal V. Calarco, MLIS, AHIP
Head, Library Information Systems
Assistant Professor
VCU Libraries
Virginia Commonwealth University
PO Box 842033
Richmond, VA 23284-2033
USA
http://www.people.vcu.edu/~pvcalarc/
tel.: 804-828-0032
fax: 804-828-9515
pager: 804-256-3151
-----------------------------------------

Date: November 13, 2001 03:07PM

Pascal,

Very cool! I'm already running K-Meleon on 8 public OPACs here at my library and we have been very satisfied with it. By removing all but the menu items that I need, I don't have to worry about patrons getting into things that they shouldn't. Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions about configuring the browser for public use.

Andrew

Date: November 13, 2001 05:22PM

this brings up an interesting point:

having paths like k-meleon\defaults\profile vs. k-meleon\profiles\default is maybe a little confusing, when you have two almost identical sets of files, and the distinguishing feature is a directory, the name of which, on another persons installation, can only be represented by 'XXXXXXXX.slt'. i dunno.

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 13, 2001 05:38PM

problem is we need both sets of directories. defaults\profile holds everything that is copied into a profile when it is created, so it needs to be there, and obviously the profile directory is needed. maybe we can set the files in defaults\profile to be read only? that may stop some people, or at least clue them in that they may be editing the wrong thing. or perhaps we can rename the files in defaults to something like menu.cfg.default and then remove the .default extension when it's copied in to the profile directory? that could work too.

Date: November 13, 2001 06:06PM

renaming sounds like the best bet, since making 'em read-only might just frustrate people without actually informing them of anything... maybe the defaults\profile directory could be called something a little different, too, since i have a feeling that might be a prime source of confusion?

Date: November 13, 2001 06:28PM

I would tend to agree with Po. We've had this happen a few times. If the copying process doesn't care what the name of the source directory is, let's just rename it.

Andrew

Date: November 13, 2001 06:54PM

Thanks for clarifying on these points -- I understand now how these relate to one another better.

As far as from an implementation perspective, we'll only be editing the one instance of a user profile anyhow. For our application here in the library, typically when we implement this we're going to edit the browser config and lock it down as part of a workstation image, then ghost that entire workstation to all of the public machines, so we don't need access to the defaults anymore as we won't allow users to create new profiles anyhow. Sounds like you still need the two directories from a software perspective, but there probably won't be a need to also edit the default profile from which all subsequent profiles get created, at least in our instance.

- pascal

Posted by: rob
Date: November 16, 2001 10:02PM

Brian,

try to flag macros.cfg or toolbars.cfg from the defaults\profile dir to read only, delete the profiles dir and then start k-meleon *under Win9x*. Then you will have unveiled a strange bug...

rob.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.