Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
auto proxy does not work
Posted by: Brennan Stehling
Date: November 07, 2001 06:53PM

I am behind a firewall and use a proxy to get out, but it does not work in K. It works in Netscape 4.x and IE. I read that this is a new feature so I am guessing it will need some work.

I tried setting it to auto configure itself with the same URL that is used for the other 2 browsers. I am hoping this could be resolved so that I can use K and promote it to other users here. We have standardized on Netscape 4.x for internet web applications and are looking for a modern client. K look like a good solution. Netscape 6 is too bloated. IE may end up being the solution we go to due to support for displaying Excel documents directly in the browser. Perhaps K can do that as well.

I am surprised at what K can do so far. (quicktime, png, flash)

I wish there was a MacOS X version.

Brennan (www.greasydaemon.com)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: auto proxy does not work
Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 07, 2001 07:06PM

Brennan,

This is a known issue. Here's a workaround.

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/kmeleon/kautoproxy.htm

Please try it and let me know if that corrects your problem.

Andrew

Date: November 08, 2001 03:36PM

I tried that workaround and it did not help. It behaves as it did before. Whenever I have it set to autoproxy it does not even animate the lizard in the top right corner. It is like it simply gives up right away.

It seems I am stuck with IE until this is corrected. I cannot wait for 1.0 of K!

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 08, 2001 04:14PM

Brennan,

Can you e-mail me with your specific set-up:

OS, version of K-Meleon, settings in auto proxy, etc.

You can get my e-mail under Help - About K-Meleon.

Thanks,

Andrew

Date: November 09, 2001 03:43PM

Andrew,

I just emailed it to you. I can also list the details here...

Win98, K-Meleon 0.6, autoproxy with the same URL used in the working Netscape and IE browsers.

Hmmm.. Worked for me.
Posted by: Jason
Date: November 11, 2001 02:20AM

Brennan:
I managed to get K-Meleon working with JCI's autoproxy configuration. I noticed I couldn't get it to connect to kmeleon.sourceforge.net on startup. However other sites worked, and I could load kmeleon's homepage after connecting to something like google.
I tried this on Win2k and Win98 with the same results.

Re: Hmmm.. Worked for me.
Date: November 12, 2001 04:11AM

I could try it again, but I think I would prefer to get a working version in the next release. At work a few of the people I work with have been exploring alternate browsers to our standard Netscape 4.x which is a standard for our intranet web applications.

K seems like a good browser because it is so lightweight and could be more easily deployed than some alternatives. We could use IE, but there seem to be some issues with using that. It could simply be a Netscape preference within the company.

I will keep an eye out for the next version.

Re: Hmmm.. Worked for me.
Posted by: Jason
Date: November 13, 2001 10:22PM

I'm kinda curious why Netscape 4 is installed and used at work, too. I uninstalled it as soon as I figured out how to get IE to work with the proxy configuration, mainly because I didn't like having to wait 20 seconds while my office computer (GX/1, claims to be a PII @ 350) gnashed the hard disk an attempt to load the browser.

I switched to using KMeleon at work last week when I found out how to get the proxy to work (thank you Andrew)

So far, I'm quite pleased with K-Meleon's performance. The interface is light, and customizable. Besides, the Mozilla icon and the throbber can't be beat.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.