Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Spectacular Crashes
Posted by: Andante
Date: November 06, 2001 02:05PM

Love K-meleon; hate the crashes.

Beavering along with K-meleon over the past few days, on an otherwise stable system (Win98SE, 256 RAM, 500 Celeron) I have been getting the most spectacular crashes, which usually occur with a number of K-meleon windows open (along with a couple of running apps - NoteTab Lite, WordWeb, WindowBlinds), when using the "Back" arrow a number of times in rapid succession, or sometimes even without a specific action.The frequency is a couple of times a day.

The TitleBar and MenuBar go black with coloured lines, followed by the scroll bars and then the entire border. This spills over to all running programmes, usually resulting in the "Blue Screen of Death" or occasionally straight to the notice "It is now safe to turn off your computer", a screen which does not normally occur in Win98SE.

Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spectacular Crashes
Posted by: po
Date: November 06, 2001 03:06PM

i've never heard of anything quite so spectacular without windowblinds... how's your video card?

Date: November 06, 2001 07:38PM

It's just an Intel Integrated 810 chipset on the MotherBoard (will use up to 11 MB of RAM); haven't noticed any shortcomings with it yet. It's fine for gaming - Shogun!

Should I exclude K-meleon from being skinned by WindowBlinds?

Posted by: po
Date: November 07, 2001 01:21AM

well, you might try it, and see if things stay un-spectacular... you know, to narrow down the problem a little.

Re: Spectacular Crashes - No More
Date: November 13, 2001 01:21PM

Thanks for the advice but I was loath to use K-meleon unskinned - it really does look outstanding in some of the WindowBlinds skins and I confess, I'm just a sucker for a pretty GU Interface.

However, I did take a severe look at a couple of utilities I run at startup and checked a "crashlog". It turned out that a handy little app called "Taskmover" which prevents wayward programs from hiding their titlebars beneath the Taskbar, when the latter is kept at the top of the screen, was the culprit. Since Taskmover has been removed, K-meleon has been quite stable and those spectacular crashes have not reoccurred.

K-meleon is my browser of choice; I just wish something could be done about the shortcomings in the bookmark area. However, I'm compensating for that by using a separate utility - JetLinks. Used in combo they make a workmanlike team.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Re: Spectacular Crashes - No More
Posted by: Brian
Date: November 13, 2001 05:45PM

awesome! I used to run windowblinds, lite step, etc... until I found out how unstable it made my system. I would get daily system crashes when running those programs, so I finally got rid of them all.

yeah, the bookmarks are a little lacking, that's something I really want to work on more. unfortunately it's a lot more work than it looks.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.