Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Title Bar blank or truncated in Win 7 64 (KM 1.5 and 1.6 beta)
Posted by: Laurent
Date: March 02, 2011 10:49AM

As said in the title...

The text string never exceeds 10 characters, which is pretty annoying if you want to know the title of the web page you're just on...

I don't remember having had such a prob. by running v. 1.5 under XP, but my 2 PCs, now on Win 7 64 bits

Replicable?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Title Bar blank or truncated in Win 7 64 (KM 1.5 and 1.6 beta)
Date: March 02, 2011 11:52AM

"(...) but my 2 PCs, now on Win 7 64 bits" have this issue.

(also my posts are truncated! winking smiley )

Date: March 02, 2011 05:47PM

Okay, folks, I'm aware of http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1139 , but in my case, there is NO interfering of PDF-viewing, plugins or whatsoever.

ANy clue/help/support?

Posted by: siria
Date: March 02, 2011 06:29PM

Don't have win7/64, so can't tell much. The only instances that I can remember where people had trouble with messed titles, were in some earlier KM1.6/1.7 development versions, and there it could be fixed by exchanging the bookmarks.dll with the version from KM1.5.4 Not sure anymore, but guess that had to do with how the source of that dll was compiled, which VS/VisualC/vcredist-version or such, guess they said the source file itself wasn't changed... Others sure know better.

But you say you have the same prob with KM1.5, so... shrug...

Re: Title Bar blank in Win 7 64
Posted by: Matt
Date: March 02, 2011 07:51PM

Laurent
Replicable?

Partially. No 10 characters limit.

Laurent, do you have searchbarext.dll in your K-Meleon \kplugins folder? Without it no problems at all for me. With searchbar plugin K-M starts with blank title bar already. When you minimize and then maximize the window, the title is show correctly. Switching to a new/existing tab makes it blank again.

K-M 1.6 Beta2, Win 7 x64

Date: March 03, 2011 12:03AM

Matt
do you have searchbarext.dll in your K-Meleon \kplugins folder?

--> nope

(BTW, i'm running KM 1.5.4)

Date: March 05, 2011 04:43PM

Really Nobody??

Well, the missing of the title was the reason why I turned away from KM one year ago (and BTW the reason why I'll never use FF 4...)

And sadly, the glitch is still there in KM 1.6 beta, to which a gave a try this week...

sad smiley

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 07, 2011 07:40PM

Laurent
As said in the title...

The text string never exceeds 10 characters, which is pretty annoying if you want to know the title of the web page you're just on...

I don't remember having had such a prob. by running v. 1.5 under XP, but my 2 PCs, now on Win 7 64 bits

Replicable?

Laurent,

It must be a Windows 7 or 64bit issue with Gecko engine (as you say it happens in FF and KM) because I don't see it in KM 1.5.4, KM 1.6beta1 or KM 1.6beta2 on my XP PRO SP3 32 bit Pentium M Thinkpad laptop.

Just to be sure, have you tried SeaMonkey to see if it also has this issue?

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2011 10:10PM by ndebord.

Date: March 07, 2011 11:58PM

Thanks for the reply, Ndebord.

To my remembrance, SeaMonkey doesn't have this issue. Why would it, anyway? (FF 4--still beta--doesn't buggily truncate the title: the developers at Mozilla simply dumped the bar on purpose in the name of "hypeness" and "sleek design"!!! Yes, I know: Tristan Nitot and Paul Rouget became suddenly plagued with suicidal tendencies...)

I sincerely hope the KM community will address this quite annoying problem, 'coz Firefox is dead (at least for us academics and researchers).

Date: March 08, 2011 05:09AM

Since it works for Matt, perhaps it's one of those windows themes issues again, perhaps it only works in some "classic" theme not Aero or whatever? (clueless but strictly talking from hearsay :coolsmiling smiley
At any rate I'd say it takes someone who has such a buggy machine to experiment and figure out any reasons or fixes. Perhaps try deleting some more of the kplugins, just for testing...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 05:12AM by siria.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 08, 2011 04:27PM

I have a Win 7 (32 bit) ops sys and I have not noticed any truncation of the info on the title bar. I think I did see some odd things with an alert or a prompt. I will see if I can repeat the alert or prompt.

Edit:

This is result from the code below. The title of the alert message box is truncated. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/overnight.jpg

This is the code:

$_Snippet_text = "Overnight";
alert($_Snippet_text, "and you want this when?  DEBUG", INFO);

I wonder if there is some setting in Win 7 that I don't know about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 04:44PM by JamesD.

Date: March 09, 2011 02:10PM

siria
Since it works for Matt, perhaps it's one of those windows themes issues again, perhaps it only works in some "classic" theme not Aero or whatever? (clueless but strictly talking from hearsay :coolsmiling smiley

Like Matt, I'm using the classic Theme, so this shouldn't have any incidence. BTW, like for Matt, resizing the windows actually restored the title, until switching to /creating another tab.

siria
At any rate I'd say it takes someone who has such a buggy machine to experiment and figure out any reasons or fixes. Perhaps try deleting some more of the kplugins, just for testing...?

I globally deleted the kplugins folder... and the title bar displayed all the info again!

As I'm currently overloaded with work, I can't fine-tune my experiments (including trying to replicate JamesD's issue) right now, but I'll let you know as soon as I'm done!

Cheers,

--L.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 13, 2011 02:12AM

This is a known problem in 1.6Beta, please update to 1.6Beta2.
Like you know now, this is a problem with kplugins, usually bookmarks.dll kplugin.
If you replace it for 1.5.4 or 1.6Beta2 file the problem is fixed.

@ JamesD:
You don't have any problem, this is normal behaviour in little windows with long title, it is trimmed and added "..." at the end of the title. If you can resize the window full title is showed.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: March 14, 2011 02:20PM

Ok, now the findings:

The problem disappears by deactivating jointly rebarmenu.dll, toolbars.dll & bmpmenu.dll (which, alas, implicates some unaesthetic revamping of the menu bars...).

I emphasize that this prob. only occurs on my x64 distro of Win 7.

Any clue of where the catch exactly lies?

[EDIT: Desga, I haven't noticed your post...]

I'll try to upgrade my beta later (no time right now). But a quick glance at my old KM, says that the version number actually IS 1.5.4. And, as I said, it DOES have the same issue too...

Date: March 15, 2011 08:42PM

Desga,

I just downloaded & reinstalled the last K-M dev version, and it also appears to be the same I already run (the beta 2 state doesn't appear in the info window).

Problem remains...

Date: March 21, 2011 10:37AM

Really nobody?

Maybe Alain/Jujuland?

K-M running flawlessly on an x64 architecture would be sooo nice!...

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: March 24, 2011 09:40AM

Hi,

I don't and never use Windows 7 or Vista, but I remember a problem due to a kplugin, there is a long time, and with a previous km version, but under XP.

Have you tried to disable the kplugins (one by one or all together to see if it's better ?

Sorry not to be able to help.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: March 25, 2011 08:01PM

See 3-4 posts above ;-)

Date: March 29, 2011 08:02PM

Alas, I guess it'll take some time 'till Win 7 makes it into the home of the typical K-M "retro-OSsing" geek as one may find him here (and, consequently, until someone judges this issue relevant) winking smiley

All jokes aside: concerning 7, I was reluctant too, gave it a whirl (because of the 64-bits and of the RAM limtation thing...), and now... I'm perfectly happy with it !

Well, cheers, and so long, then...

--Laurent

Date: March 30, 2011 04:12AM

Laurent
Alas, I guess it'll take some time 'till Win 7 makes it into the home of the typical K-M "retro-OSsing" geek as one may find him here (and, consequently, until someone judges this issue relevant) winking smiley

All jokes aside: concerning 7, I was reluctant too, gave it a whirl (because of the 64-bits and of the RAM limtation thing...), and now... I'm perfectly happy with it !

Well, cheers, and so long, then...

--Laurent

Laurent,

I know of a few who have Windows 7, but nobody (aside from yourself) who has 64 bit, which is probably the problem. Don't know if the developers had a 64 bit system w/Windows7 to test.

N

Date: March 31, 2011 04:55PM

That would explain some things, thanks NDebord.

Do you think it'll take a long time until this happens ?

--Laurent

Date: March 31, 2011 10:20PM

Laurent
That would explain some things, thanks NDebord.

--Laurent

Laurent,

As I live on one side of the Atlantic and the developers on the other, I don't know who uses what operating system. So, the short answer is we wait until someone steps up and says they are running a Windows7 OS on a 64-bit system. Personally I am perfectly happy with MY XP PRO SP3 system, but I know there will come a time...

N

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 12, 2011 06:02PM

Laurent

Can You post a link where this happened to You and Your exact Win 7 64 bit version.

Thx in advance.

p.s. What's IE9 on Windows 7 64 Bit good for?

Has had the same merits as IEs 4.0 - 8.0 for me.

Good to download a real browser. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 03:15PM by guenter.

Posted by: pstar
Date: June 24, 2011 07:45AM

i have the same problem under srv 2k8 r2 with k-meleon v1.5.4(official edition).

after a whole day's investigation, i found it seems to have problem with msvcr80.dll.
since only bmpmenu.dll, toolbar.dll and rebarmenu.dll have improt table form msvcr80.dll.

just down Fred's new version from this http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,116196

and remove bmpmenu.dll from kplugins folder, the problem resolved.

i dont know what this dll does for the browser, so far, i can surf w/o it.

Posted by: caps
Date: June 24, 2011 09:00AM

pstar
i dont know what this dll does for the browser, so far, i can surf w/o it.

bmpmenu.dll displays icons in menus.

Posted by: pstar
Date: July 01, 2011 12:19AM

got it,caps, then what does rebarmenu.dll do?
thx!

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 01, 2011 06:11PM

pstar
then what does rebarmenu.dll do?

Give certain menus on right click.

Example is used in ViewPreferences/Compact Menu button/bar of Aura skins shipped with K-Meleon1.6.b2

Browser Con&figuration(24,24){
Browser Con&figuration{
%ifplugin rebarmenu
rebarmenu(Preferences)|Compact Menu
View Preferences. Right-click to view Compact Menu.
%endif

optionshot.bmp[0]
optionscold.bmp[0]
optionscold.bmp[0]
}

}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 06:13PM by guenter.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: July 01, 2011 06:31PM

pstar
got it,caps, then what does rebarmenu.dll do?
thx!

Its primary purpose is to allow the main menu bar to be displayed as a toolbar allowing you to drag it below or alongside other toolbars, otherwise the menu bar is a fixed immovable bar atop the browser. It does not need to be enabled for the right-click button menu feature to work. It DOES need to be enabled to give buttons left-click menus and to popup menus from accelerators, but there are a couple bugs associated with that regarding checkmarks etc...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 06:44PM by jsnj.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.