copy/paste into spreadsheet
Posted by: gordon451
Date: January 13, 2011 02:50PM

G'day all -

I often need to copy data from a web page and paste it into a spreadsheet.

I use Lotus 123 Release 9.8 and K-Meleon 1.5.4 in W2K Pro SP4 Rollup 1 -- but I suspect this problem will happen with any spreadsheet.

I highlight the text (URLs are NOT involved!!!!), then Ctrl-C, then Ctrl-V into 123. This produces an alert: "1-2-3 did not find any tabular data in this HTML file." The only way I can get past this is to right-click and select "Paste Special" which gives me the option of "HTML Format" or "Text" -- this is an un-intuitive time-consuming work-around which is unsatisfactory.

Normally I would be selecting a list of numeric data, but the misbehaviour happens equally badly with simple text strings, leading me to believe that K-M interprets the "copy" command to include HTML formatting.

Is this a bug in K-M, or a design feature?

Gordon.

Re: copy/paste into spreadsheet
Posted by: vasa1
Date: January 29, 2011 08:11AM

Gordon, I too do a lot of copy/paste of stuff from html pages into spreadsheets, LibreOffice Calc, in my case. Rather than figure out what's going on behind the scenes, I just work with the quirks! Some stuff gets done with a simple copy/paste. Some stuff needs the paste special (as unformatted text). I'm not exactly sure that the browser is much as important as the page design. Leaving Opera out of the picture, I've had not very differing experiences with Chrome, Firefox and K-Meleon.

Anyway, so long as I can get it done, I'm fine.

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 01, 2011 08:36PM

I seem to have the same problem and worse. I am still using Works spreadsheet 2000 (anything that is already paid for or is free, I still use it.:coolsmiling smiley A slow work-around I use is to copy and paste html (or other behind-the-scenes formated stuff) into a text document such as Notepad then copy and paste into the spreadsheet.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: February 18, 2011 02:18PM

vasa1
I've had not very differing experiences with Chrome, Firefox and K-Meleon.

Ummm... Chrome has WebKit doesn't it?

Gordon

Posted by: vasa1
Date: February 19, 2011 06:32AM

gordon451
vasa1
I've had not very differing experiences with Chrome, Firefox and K-Meleon.

Ummm... Chrome has WebKit doesn't it?

Gordon

Yes.

Date: February 26, 2011 02:50AM

Looks like this behaviour might be a WebKit/Gecko/etc design thing. Trident (IEx) and Presto don't do it.

I know lots of people on the Opera forums want "copy with HTML formatting", but this behaviour isn't that, since no visible formatting appears in the clipboard -- I just tried in WordPro, jEdit and Archnophilia.

I suppose we just gotta live with it. ¬_¬

Gordon.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.