Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error by updating KM
Posted by: mottenkiller
Date: June 16, 2010 12:42PM

Hi!

I updated my KM from v1.5.3 to v1.5.4, but the following start of the browser broke up with this error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way...

I guess the KM-developers know this message only too good and for this reason did not wrote it down completely.

I tried several things, but I don't want to bore you. So here is the solution of this problem:
During the last installation I unchecked "Multi-user profiles", but this time I forgot it.
This was the whole problem. After certain installations I tried out to uncheck "Multi-user profiles" and KM started again exactly. =)

I usally don't try to solve bugs in software, but I like KM so much, that I did it this time. ;-)

greets
mottenkiller

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2010 12:45PM by mottenkiller.

Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error by updating KM
Posted by: SoerenB
Date: June 16, 2010 01:04PM

Hi, mottenkiller,

und Willkommen im Forum!

During the last installation I unchecked "Multi-user profiles", but this time I forgot it.

... sounds like a user error to me, rather than a "software bug"? ...

grinning smiley

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: June 16, 2010 01:38PM

hm... meinst du?

In my opinion software should do it's work even if users do errors...

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 16, 2010 03:00PM

Thx for the info. And I am glad You found and posted Your solution.

Terminated... is from finding nor not finding a runtime dll at the expected place.

For K-Meleons build with VC 7.1 that error is absolut unusual.
More likely to happen with VC 8 builds.

p.s. Gefunden = gut. Ungewöhnliche Lösung. Danke für Tip - kannte nur gucken, ob die richtigen dll installiert sind oder ob ein überflüssiges/fehlendes Manifest ist.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 16, 2010 04:51PM

Edit: (Sep.2010)
KM1.5.x needs those two dll's, otherwise produces runtime errors at start:
msvcp71.dll + msvcr71.dll
Meanwhile I've learned that they are contained in the KM setup-version, but not in the zip version. The setup-version checks some windows configurations and modifies KM-files accordingly, e.g. deletes either the "k-meleon.exe" XP-version or the different "k-meleonW9x.exe" for windows98. Now I'm starting to suspect that the setup-version may also delete those dll-files in the KM program folder, if they are detected elsewhere in windows already, but that the current 71-version may require them to be found in the own program folder at any rate, in some configurations...
(By the way the setup.exe can simply be unzipped with 7zip, to extract those dll's)

Manchmal hab ich den Eindruck, die Hälfte der KM User sind deutsch - ist mir nur echt schleierhaft, wieso ;-)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2010 09:38AM by siria.

Date: June 19, 2010 12:59AM

In meinem KM-Hauptverzeichnis liegen beide Dlls:
Both of *.dll files are in the KM main-folder:
msvcp71.dll - v7.10.3077.0
msvcr71.dll - v7.10.3052.4

for the nosy of you: I am using Win XP SP3.
And for the nosier ones: I have installed "MS Visual C++ 2005" + "MS Visual C++ 2008", so the VC 8 files should be installed on my system.

Don't know wether some of these informations are helpful or not, but if you need other infos, just ask me ;-)

Posted by: siria
Date: September 12, 2010 09:24AM

SPAM above...
- - - - - - - - - -

KM 1.5.x needs
MSVCR71.DLL, MSVCR71D.DLL: Visual Studio .NET 2003 (VC7.1)
KM 1.6beta needs
MSVCR80.DLL, MSVCR80D.DLL: Visual Studio 2005 (VC8)

There's some info about those VCredist dll's in this blog, for me it's too 'high', perhaps others can use it:

http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=296

You might be able to get away with not redistributing the DLL, especially since the VS2005 and VS2008 DLLs are typically installed by .NET, but you're taking a big risk by doing this and you really shouldn't rely on it. Microsoft's advice has always been that you need to redistribute the DLL yourself if you are using it, and this is good advice, because you're rolling the dice on the user's machine if you aren't. You don't want to spend time fielding reports like "your popup tool stops working when I uninstall Photoshop."
(....)
In older versions of Visual C++, you could just copy the CRT DLLs next to the EXE. This no longer works starting with VS2005 (=KM1.6beta), where you'll get an error message about the DLL being incorrectly installed. This happens because starting with VS2005 the CRT relies on the manifest system to select and bind the CRT version. The short answer is that you need to copy the appropriate directories from the VC\redist\x86 or VC\redist\amd64 directory instead. In other words, for a VS2005-built application, you should have a directory called Microsoft.VC80.CRT next to the EXE, with DLLs and a .manifest file inside.

(PS: Windows98 knows no manifests, and I can't remember for sure, but guess it worked to simply just copy the 2005-dlls into my KM folder tongue sticking out smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2010 09:52AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.