Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Changing K-meleon UI?
Posted by: icetea
Date: October 16, 2008 04:44PM

How difficult would it be to change the UI of K-meleon? Is there a MacOS version in development?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changing K-meleon UI?
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 16, 2008 06:29PM

icetea schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How difficult would it be to change the UI of
> K-meleon? Is there a MacOS version in
> development?

Only C coders would know for certain. From whhat I picked up.

1.) K-Meleon is based on MFC (MicosoftFoundationClass) which only exist for Win32. You need much C knowledge and to invest much work to repogram (K-Meleon is older than e.g. Firefox)! Maybe You can port some kplugins to other Geckos - if You are can port and know xpcom programming.

2.) No. If You look for a native Widget browser for MAc - the name is AFAIK Camino.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 16, 2008 06:32PM

I cannot speak for the development team, but I do not think there is a Mac in our future. KM use native Windows api calls. We do not use XUL and that is what makes us faster.

Posted by: icetea
Date: October 16, 2008 07:42PM

I like K-Meleon, but would prefer a cross-platform browser which is lightweight and can be easily modified. In my project what needs to be done is to make the UI simple by removing buttons and features. Anyone know of such a browser?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 16, 2008 08:43PM

You can do this with K-Meleon.
You can modify buttons with toolbars.cfg file in your skin folder (K-Meleon support skins themes that you can create or adapted easily).
And you can changed all menus and panel prefs.
K-Meleon work in Linux with Wine.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 17, 2008 10:07AM

though cross-platforming sounds like the idealistic thing to do.. it's not really practical with small projects. unless your program is based on something simple like java, that doesn't require additional coding for different oses; it's very time consuming..

take for example the arora project, it's very similiar to k-meleon as in few developers working on it.. however their intention is to cross-platform and the result is they released a very good beta for windows almost 4 months ago.. and instead on focusing on developing the main code and addressing the bugs, they are now concentrating on covering the various platforms and when they're done with that, then they'll progress with the initial windows release.. and after that they go on again building the binaries for different oses.. it's a killer cycle.

i agree that xul has limited the coding-time for cross-platforming but it isn't exactly great.. and the people at firefox were having second thoughts about it when they were gobsmacked when google's chrome was released and finally had to admit to their product's sluggishness. xul has proved to be very slow on windows machines and its' performace is quite inadequate on those super-fast intelmacs.. the only os where xul has proved to be justfied is on linux distros but then again, linuxes consume were little resources compared to windows and macosx.

i'm an advocate of diversity in operating systems, however when i like a program; i don't really care if i can use it on my other os if there's a good alternative written specifically for that os. kmeleon has proved exceptional performance on my freebsd through x-wine.. but i still believe that galeon(kde) and epiphany(gnome) are better for linux.. they are better not because they are better programmed than kmeleon but simply because they use the os's core api.

for mac os x you can always use camino which is written entirely for cocoa.

if a developer wants to write for all platforms.. fine by me, but don't code with xul, gtk+, python or some other crap to make life easier for you. if you choose the highroad then do it properly and use the internal os api for each of your releases...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.