Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
XUL error pages
Posted by: dee
Date: May 17, 2008 12:07PM

Hello everyone,
Is it possible to edit the XUL error page?. Since it appears when there is a problem (like timeout) and it shows the URL etc,i suspect that it is generated dynamically .But Problem is i cant seem to locate where its generated.

When i view the source code of the XUL error page (save it as webpage first and open it offline), i see that javascript is used to generate the page. I can edit this file but how do i save my version?

i use KM 1.1

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: XUL error pages
Posted by: guenter
Date: May 17, 2008 01:21PM

Yes: possible. The files are inside archives inside K-Meleon chrome folder.

Many K-Meleon/Chrome files are AFAIK utf8! A good program editor shows You which encoding is used (all good editors do). Chrome folder jar = zip file with another extension name. Use a zip program to open/unzip the jars. Save Your changes there and rezip them.

Embed.jar/content/global/netError.xhtml this file has AFAIK the js and surfaces for the error pages. It invocates some files:

The actual error texts are in: chrome://global/locale/netError.dtd -

this location reads: en-US.jar/embed/locale/en-US/global/netError.dtd

In my case de-DE.jar = Your national chrome translation file, whatever it is.
The file is encoding utf8. You write in it with special editors that CAN write and save this specific encoding! Your will make the file unusable, if You write with a wrong editor that can not write utf8. I use PSPad. There are many such utf8 editors but Windows default editor is no good.

The styles are in chrome://global/skin/netError.css -

this location reads: embed.jar/skin/classic/global/netError.css

Happy recoding smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2008 03:30PM by guenter.

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.