Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
unicode problem, still no solution?
Posted by: dee
Date: May 13, 2008 07:31AM

Hi, can anyone please explain to me how to display unicode characters in the menus? it doesnt work in Kmeleon1.02 cos menus.cfg can only be saved in ANSI and UTF-8. When u try this with ANSI, Kmeleon will replace all my unicode chars with the nearest ANSI possible.
for UTF-8, it will replace them with question marks and strange charcaters.

I upgraded to Kmeleon 1.1 but its no use since kmeleon.kmm also must be saved in either ANSII or UTF-8, if i save in UNICODE, my custom menus are not loaded at all and only the default menu is loaded.

for example, about russian version, are all russian characters in ANSI format?, if not how did they achieve this.

its urgent, please show me how.

i use notepad, have both Kmeleon 1.1 and 1.02, windows XP SP2, english.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: unicode problem, still no solution?
Posted by: desga2
Date: May 13, 2008 10:54AM

First, UTF-8 is an UNICODE format.
Second, K-Meleon 1.02 not support Unicode formats in menus. (I belive remmember)

You must used an unicode supported editor as for example PSPad or Notepad++ (both free, but there are a lot like these).

Save your files in unicode format (UTF-8).

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2008 10:56AM by desga2.

Posted by: kko
Date: May 13, 2008 04:13PM

dee
Hi, can anyone please explain to me how to display unicode characters in the menus? it doesnt work in Kmeleon1.02 cos menus.cfg can only be saved in ANSI and UTF-8. When u try this with ANSI, Kmeleon will replace all my unicode chars with the nearest ANSI possible.
for UTF-8, it will replace them with question marks and strange charcaters.

I upgraded to Kmeleon 1.1 but its no use since kmeleon.kmm also must be saved in either ANSII or UTF-8, if i save in UNICODE, my custom menus are not loaded at all and only the default menu is loaded.

As desga2 already mentioned, K-Meleon 1.0 and 1.1 do not support Unicode. Translations of menus, macros, toolbars and binaries have to be given in the Windows code page of the target system. In case of Western languages (English, French, German, Spanish, ...) this is Windows-1252.

dee
for example, about russian version, are all russian characters in ANSI format?, if not how did they achieve this.

The Russian translation is given in the codepage of the Russian Windows (Windows-1251), consequently.

K-Meleon 1.5 will probably be the last version supporting Win9X (which does not support Unicode). The 1.5 k-meleon.exe is a Unicode build for WinNT only, k-meleonW9x.exe is an ANSI build for Win9X. Currently, I can't tell you whether 1.5 will (or even can) support Unicode (i.e. UTF-8) for translations. We're still in beta stage...

Posted by: dee
Date: May 13, 2008 10:16PM

Thanks a lot guys (desga2 and kko). i guess i will use the nearest ANSI charcaters for my project. till when Kmeleon starts supporting unicode, i will change them to unicode.
Greetings from W.Africa

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.