Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
A few bugs/flaws with tabs (not layers)
Posted by: Drahken
Date: September 27, 2005 05:55PM

I've been trying Hao's ME0.04R lately, and I've got it running fairly well except for a few issues with the new tabs feature. Some of these issues are related to the tabs implementation itself, some are related to the way thy're integrated into KM.
1) When you set the tabs to go to the next one when you close the current one, then close the rightmost tab, it jumps to the first tab. While this may be technically correct, it shouldn't do it that way. It should behave like the layers did and how tabs do in moz/FF. When closing the rightmost tab, it should fall back to the previous tab instead of jumping to the first one.
2) The accel/macro for searches needs to be rewritten. Currently it addresses layers, and doesn't work with tabs. If you set the seaqrch options to open in the current window, it will work, but if you set it to open in a new window or in the background, it won't do anything.
3) This may be related to #2 above: The new tab button next to the compact menu button is non-functional. Clicking it has no effect at all. This would be little more than a cosmetic issue, if it were for issue #4 below:
4) You can't double click the tab bar to open a new tab, nor can you right click the tab bar or an existing tab and open a new tab that way. The only option there is a new window. While this does have the effect of opening a new tab IF you have KM set for "layers only" mode, it won't work for people who prefer a mixture of tabs and windows. Also, double clicking the tab bar is infinitely more convenient.

I realize that actual tabs are a brand new thing for KM and will require some more breaking in/adjustment time, these are just the issues I've noticed which need to be addressed before tabs will be equal to what layers are currently.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A few bugs/flaws with tabs (not layers)
Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: September 28, 2005 01:20AM

I can confirm #1 Drahken. #2, however, as far as having the search open in a background tab for me (my preferred method) works fine for me. Likewise, #3 opens a new tab for me when I press the tab button.

Admittedly though I'm writing this at the time off the top of my head and haven't tried it with the selection made "Layers (tabs) and Windows mode", or whatever it's called, checked as I'm in "tabs only mode". But you're reporting the tabs button as being non-functional period whereas for me it's working just as it did in KM-Fr 09.1.7.12.

While I can't click the tabs bar and get a new tab, I can click the opened tab and beside it will open a new tab. As stated though I'm in "tabs only mode" and you're saying if I were in any other mode I'd get a window, correct? I'll have to try that sometime.

One thing of note, however: I'm using Hao's very first version of 0.04a2, which was made of 1.8b4. It was the next day when he switched to 1.9a1---basically the same thing as you've noted, since it just recently split off from the 1.8b4 trunk with extremely minor changes not worth noting, and yet apparently enough to cause these differences which you are seeing and I am not.

It's either this for an explanation, or the fact that we perhaps have two differing Windows OS's? I'm on 98se with an Aston Shell overlay which affects the behaviour of Windows. (Just ask Carson for a confirmation on that. *ribs Carson* hehe!)

I hope this was perhaps of some small help? :-\

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: September 28, 2005 11:53AM

I'm using the ME0.04reloaded, although the about page indicates it's using 1.8b4.
I see double clicking a tab does open a new background tab (I've never tried that, since that would normally close the current tab).

I always use layers only mode. I also normally have the search option set to open in background. However, the search will not work in this version unless I have it set to open in current (I even tried switching to layers & windows mode, but it didn't work there either).

I'm on win XP SP2, although I don't think that OS makes a difference in this.

Date: September 29, 2005 04:01PM

While we're on the subject, would it be possible to get drag & drop rearranging of tabs? Having tabs arranged in the order they were opened is often inconvenient, and one of my fav features of FF/TBE was the ability to drag a tab to a different position on the bar to arrange the by similarity on priority rather than chronology.

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: September 29, 2005 04:05PM

Drag and drop tabs is already supported in the latest tab version.

Date: September 29, 2005 04:24PM

Whoa! Cool! I didn't even notice. *Slaps self on forehead*

Date: September 30, 2005 05:36PM

I just discovered something odd about layers/tabs and the search function. If I put the layers plugin from another version of KM into .04reloaded's kplugins folder, then the searche will open in background tabs as they should. However, when I middle click a tab to close it while the layers plugin is there, KM crashes.

Date: September 30, 2005 08:23PM

After seeing that the opening search in the background does work under certain conditions, and that it seemed to work normally for other people, I tried using the macros.cfg file from the defaults folder and putting it in my profile. Voila, the search opens in the background like it's supposed to. Apparently my macros file got messed up somehow. I don't know if the new tab button works now or not, I removed it and the compact menu from my toolbar. They were just too inconvenient for me (even if the new tab one worked, it's much easier to just hit ctrl+N).

That just leaves us with 2 things that need improved:
1) When you set the tabs to go to the next one when you close the current one, then close the rightmost tab, it jumps to the first tab. While this may be technically correct, it shouldn't do it that way. It should behave like the layers did and how tabs do in moz/FF. When closing the rightmost tab, it should fall back to the previous tab instead of jumping to the first one.
and
4) You can't double click the tab bar to open a new tab, nor can you right click the tab bar or an existing tab and open a new tab that way. The only option there is a new window. While this does have the effect of opening a new tab IF you have KM set for "layers only" mode, it won't work for people who prefer a mixture of tabs and windows. Also, double clicking the tab bar is infinitely more convenient.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.