Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
K-Meleon v0.9 Beta 3
Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 19, 2004 12:00AM

Beta 3 is now available which includes the following changes, bug fixes, and improvements. Please test thoroughly to make sure that they are in fact fixed.

Bug 26 - Accelerator keys should now work for the Main menu even if the rebar plugin is enabled.

RFE 282 - All context/popup menus can now be assigned accelerator keys. Default configuration assigns Alt+P to the Privacy Menu, Alt+U to the User Agent menu, and Alt+S to the Web Search menu.

RFE 658 - By default there will be a Confirm Close Window prompt if attempting to close a window that has several layers.

Groups Macros script has been rewritten somewhat to accomodate the AddLayersToWindow command. You will now be able to open a group or folder without closing or reloading the current layers.

Flashblock has been added which when enabled replaces Macromedia Flash content with a clickable button that allows you to view it only when desired. It can be enabled from Tools-Advanced Preferences-userContent.

RSS Feed functionality is now included with the addition of Aggreg8. It's listed within the Mail and News menu which can be accessed by right-clicking the Mail button.

A few skin updates including additional buttons for RSS and additional Search Engine buttons. All hidden by default. Phoenity will now be displayed upon first view. Lim Chee Aun's original Zoom buttons are now included and the tentatively titled Klassic skin now has Zoom buttons instead of the Font buttons.

From the beta bug page:
* Button & Menu Sync should now be fixed.
* Find In Page Accelerator is now back to Ctrl+F. Find and Highlight is now Ctrl+F3
* GO Button macro should no longer clear clipboard text data.

Codewise the following should be fixed:
* Leaking GDI Objects (Security Icon)
* Extra characters displayed in Layers list
* Cache doesn't clear cleanly
* URL Bar list is now universal and once cleared should be cleared for all windows.

Download Here

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon v0.9 Beta 3
Posted by: rmn
Date: November 19, 2004 04:50AM

Hey, some incredible bug-fixes you mentioned there! Just make sure you keep track of all the changes (for the Release Notes); especially for new prefs, macros, etc. winking smiley I can't wait to play with them (but I still need to wait till I fix my Windows...).

Posted by: ra
Date: November 19, 2004 02:39PM

K-M's just getting better with every release. :-)

A few comments on beta 3:

Bug 26 - Accelerator keys should now work for the Main menu even if the rebar plugin is enabled.

Wow, impressive! Problem is tho, that the menus behave weird if the toolbar is not at the default position (e.g. in the middle of a row). And a minor / cosmetic thing: Using accelerators to open the menus doesn't give the selected menus the same look that the menus get when they are opened with the mouse (looking like a pressed button).

* Find In Page Accelerator is now back to Ctrl+F. Find and Highlight is now Ctrl+F3

That's good! :-)

* Leaking GDI Objects (Security Icon)

Is fixed. But now a redraw of the image is missing when a secure site is opened or left. (The image doesn't change properly, you have to move the window or minimize/restore it to notice the security icon change.)

BTW: The leaking bookmarks *toolbar* is now finally fixed, too.

There might be a leak in the bookmarks *editor*, too, but I'm not sure about that and haven't started testing / looking at the code.

* URL Bar list is now universal and once cleared should be cleared for all windows.

Great fix!

Another two or three things:

Please enable the favorites plugin by default. Most windows users do have some favorites, so it would be good if K-M would allow them to be opened out of the box, especially if we are looking for new users leaving IE for K-M (and as 90% of windows users are using IE and only few are using Netscape/Mozilla/FireFox enabling favorites shouldn't hurt). Personally, I prefer to have both plugins loaded.

What happened to the Winamp plugin? I'm still using it. Adding it (leave it disabled at default) would add some ~3 KB to the installer...

I'm missing the rocker gestures known from Opera in the default gestures plugin. Should I file a RFE or is there no chance they might be added? If I remember correctly there were some minor problems with the implemenation that Romanito did, but it would still be nice to have rocker gestures (and it shouldn't be impossible to fix these minor problems) in the default setup.

Date: November 19, 2004 02:53PM

Is there now an easy way to enable the right click context menu icons again? :-) I still prefer to have them even if that leads to some mis-alignment.

Date: November 19, 2004 03:19PM

Here's an ugly one that's new (beta 2 was fine): Disabling the layers plugin breaks opening bookmark groups. Only the first bookmark will be opened in the current window, no additional ones (no new windows). :-/

Date: November 19, 2004 03:35PM

With layers disabled I'm missing "Open in current window" under Tools - Bookmark options & Favorites options (don't know about Hotlist), there's only the possibility to open in new and in background windows.

Date: November 19, 2004 06:11PM

Another new bug: Hitting the new window button when layers are disabled leads to loading "about:blank" (if not on the first new window then it is starting from the second new window), although a (different) start page is defined and new windows should open that one (preferences).

Date: November 19, 2004 06:42PM

Wow, impressive! Problem is tho, that the menus behave weird if the toolbar is not at the default position (e.g. in the middle of a row)

Gotta be a little more descriptive than "behave weird" :-)...What I've noticed is that they open in "weird" locations on the screen if the main menu is not in the default position. Sometimes in the bttm left corner or right corner of the screen.

Please enable the favorites plugin by default.

Ideally what's desired is in the installation process for there to be a section where there are three radio buttons which allow the user to choose which bookmark plugin to use. If anyone knows how to set that up, we'd be grateful.

I'm missing the rocker gestures known from Opera in the default gestures plugin. Should I file a RFE or is there no chance they might be added?

When I suggested it awhile back, Ulf mentioned that Romain Vallet told him that it interfered with JS or something to that effect? I didn't notice any conflict with anything, but I'll run it by him again and see if he has any desire to fix whatever problem there is with it. Ulf fixed the privacy plugin, so he might be willing to have a look.

With layers disabled I'm missing "Open in current window" under Tools - Bookmark options & Favorites options (don't know about Hotlist), there's only the possibility to open in new and in background windows.

Good catch. I'm surprised nobody caught that before.....that error is also in Beta 2, possibly Beta 1 but I haven't checked back to that version. The following should fix it I think. Follow the same lead with the other 2 plugins in the menus file.

%ifplugin macros
BookMac{
macros(OpenBook2, Open In New Window)
macros(OpenBook5, Open In Background Window)
-
macros(BookChev, Enable Toolbar Chevron)
}
%endif

Bookmark Options{
bookmarks(Config, Settings...)
%ifplugin macros
-
%endif
%ifplugin layers & macros
macros(OpenBook1, Open In Current Layer (default))
macros(OpenBook3, Open In New Layer)
macros(OpenBook4, Open In Background Layer)
-
!BookMac
%else
macros(OpenBook1, Open In Current Window (default))
!BookMac
%endif
}

Here's an ugly one that's new (beta 2 was fine): Disabling the layers plugin breaks opening bookmark groups. Only the first bookmark will be opened in the current window, no additional ones (no new windows). :-/

I had a feeling that there would be an error or two when I changed the Groups Macros :-). The following should fix it and hopefully not cause any other glitches. In macros replace the Onstartup macro with this:

OnStartup{
&SetLast;
getpref(BOOL, $layers) == "true" ? &SetNext : setpref(STRING, $og, $ln);
getpref(INT, $sg) < 2 ? "" : $loaded="GroupStart"; &Sync;
}

Date: November 19, 2004 06:56PM

Another new bug: Hitting the new window button when layers are disabled leads to loading "about:blank" (if not on the first new window then it is starting from the second new window), although a (different) start page is defined and new windows should open that one (preferences).

That IS a new one. It happens whether macros are enabled or not. Another for the beta bug page!

Date: November 19, 2004 06:58PM

Actually it also happens when layers ARE enabled.

Date: November 20, 2004 12:17AM

Gotta be a little more descriptive than "behave weird" :-)...What I've noticed is that they open in "weird" locations on the screen if the main menu is not in the default position. Sometimes in the bttm left corner or right corner of the screen.

Yeah, that's exactly what I noticed and meant by "weird". :-)

Ideally what's desired is in the installation process for there to be a section where there are three radio buttons which allow the user to choose which bookmark plugin to use. If anyone knows how to set that up, we'd be grateful.

Please make that check boxes instead of radio buttons :-), if it is possible - sorry, can't help here, I think. But how about enabling bookmarks *and* favorites in the mean time? :-) I know how to set up K-M, so that's no problem for me, but I'm thinking of new users that glance over it for a few seconds (or maybe minutes) to make their decision for or against using it.

[rocker gestures]
When I suggested it awhile back, Ulf mentioned that Romain Vallet told him that it interfered with JS or something to that effect?

Yes, 'that' was the problem reported by the Wechselbalg folks, too, when I asked them why they didn't include the modified version of the plugin. The only thing I noticed was that it caused minor problems (right click menu was opened on a simple left click to expand a folder) on the WB's *XUL* history function (that's really nice by the way and doesn't lead to crashes like the current plugin still does..), but that was all.

I didn't notice any conflict with anything, but I'll run it by him again and see if he has any desire to fix whatever problem there is with it. Ulf fixed the privacy plugin, so he might be willing to have a look.

That would be great!

[open in current window missing on tools - bookm/fav/hotl options]
Good catch. I'm surprised nobody caught that before...

Well, I did, but thought you would probably be aware of it by the time being. smiling smiley

Thanks for the macro snippets, I'll try them in a few minutes.

[new window button opens about:blank]
That IS a new one. It happens whether macros are enabled or not. Another for the beta bug page!

If the files in the test directory are the same as the ones in beta 3 (what I assume) then it is likely not to be a bug in K-Ms code - I don't get this problem on a beta 2-based installation with the latest files from the test dir.

Date: November 20, 2004 12:36AM

Thanks for the macro snippets, I'll try them in a few minutes.

Okay, I meant menu and macro snipptes.

The menu stuff looks fine. It works fine - for the bookmarks plugin, I have changed the others accordingly but not tested, yet.

The posted OnStartup macro doesn't seem to work, K-M is complaining about missing stuff and/or undefined variables at startup (played with it for a second).

Date: November 20, 2004 04:08AM

jsnj,

I see that you're using the comparison operators (<, <=, >, >=). Last time I checked, there was a bug in them:

6<543 --> false
79<8 --> true
89<=9 --> true

Can you check? I think doing something like alert(6<543); is enough to test it.

Date: November 20, 2004 04:12AM

K-M is complaining about missing stuff and/or undefined variables at startup

Hmm....I can't reproduce that. What exactly did it say was not defined?

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: November 20, 2004 11:04AM

Hi Jsnj,

Which software are you developers using to make the installer?
I am asking because I can send you the script we were using for the wechselbalg-installer.
May be it can be a little help for choosing which plugins for bookmarks must be installed.
Please send me an email if you are interested, I don't have your emailadress anymore.

Jan.

Date: November 20, 2004 07:22PM

[Fixing opening bookmark groups didn't work...]
Hmm....I can't reproduce that. What exactly did it say was not defined?

I'm sorry, it works. I had already replaced macros.cfg with an older version. Oops! :-)

Date: November 20, 2004 10:54PM

I see that you're using the comparison operators (<, <=, >, >=). Last time I checked, there was a bug in them:

Yeah, I seem to remember you posted about a bug in them on the dev list. They seem to work fine in the two macros that I've placed them in, OnStartup & Home. I don't quite understand the test you asked me to perform. What am I to check for in those number combos? What should happen that's not and/or vice versa?

Date: November 21, 2004 05:01AM

Please try placing these three lines in a macro:
alert(6<543);
alert(79<8);
alert(89<=9);

They should return true (1), false (0), false (0). However, at least in 0.9b2, they return 0, 1, 1.

Date: November 21, 2004 09:02AM

I got 0, 1, 1. Seems it's only designed to recognize the value of single digit numbers. I'm not sure if this a functional bug or an RFE.

Date: November 21, 2004 11:31AM

I think that's a bug. By the way, can you also check alert(5==50); ?

Date: November 21, 2004 11:33AM

And alert(5!=50); , while you're at it. =)

Posted by: Kidman
Date: November 23, 2004 12:10PM

I just installed K-Meleon 0.9beta3 and recognised some small things:

- in the "View -> Toolsbars" list from "Status Bar" everything is a char too much on the right. They should all be aligned the same
- in "View -> Encoding" the actual encoding/option being used at the moment is not marked in any way
- about: still links to Mozilla 1.7.4 is that right?

Date: November 23, 2004 12:42PM

Some other small thing:
- "Help -> About Plugins" opens in the same window and "About K-Meleon" opens in a new window. IMO both should behave the same
- if you open "about:about" and click on about:blank it does focus on the URL-bar, this doesn't happen with all the other about:'s
- about:cache-entry doesn't work

Date: November 23, 2004 12:49PM

And one last thing:
- Tools -> Bookmark Options -> Settings is also not properly aligned

Date: November 23, 2004 04:34PM

And another one (sorry, I will collect them next time):
- there is no way to set the open mode back to the default one (open in same window) after you chose one of the two options under "Tools -> Bookmark Options" (should be three options there IMO)

Date: November 23, 2004 07:39PM

- in the "View -> Toolsbars" list from "Status Bar" everything is a char too much on the right. They should all be aligned the same

Known bug for Win 2k / XP , but AFAIK no one's working on that one.

- in "View -> Encoding" the actual encoding/option being used at the moment is not marked in any way

Yep.

- about: still links to Mozilla 1.7.4 is that right?

Beta 2 and 3 are based on the same Moz 1.7.4 nightly, see Mozilla build info. I for one would prefer going for Mozilla 1.8a5 (or a6 depending on how long it will take for the release), that's just out of the door.

- "Help -> About Plugins" opens in the same window and "About K-Meleon" opens in a new window. IMO both should behave the same

Haven't tried, but I second that.

- if you open "about:about" and click on about:blank it does focus on the URL-bar, this doesn't happen with all the other about:'s

No repro here.

- about:cache-entry doesn't work

Yup.

- there is no way to set the open mode back to the default one (open in same window) after you chose one of the two options under "Tools -> Bookmark Options" (should be three options there IMO)

Please have a look at the messages above!

Date: November 23, 2004 08:44PM

No repro here.

Okay, where's the edit function in this forum again? ;-)

Repro'ed!

That makes the second about:blank bug. Strange. I wonder if they are related.

Date: November 23, 2004 10:17PM

jsnj,

can you please add open in new background window ("Open Frame in Background Window") to the right-click pop-up menu on frames? Currently there's only open in current window and open in new window.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 25, 2004 06:15AM

You can also see this if you enable Favorites and go to - Tools -> Favorites Options -> Settings

It doesn't seem to affect View -> History -> Settings which appears to use the same code in the method (Privacy also).

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 25, 2004 06:31AM

Even odder - if you switch the order so that Settings is not the first sub-meni item listed, the spacing problem goes away!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.