Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Toolbar-icon positions
Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: September 08, 2004 07:05PM

At this moment everyone who is making a new theme for KM can decide himself for the position of the icons in the bmp-files.
The advantage is you can configure it the way you want, the disadvantage is you have to edit the toolbars.cfg everytime you want to use another theme with your costumbuild, macro's etc....
Therefor it would be nice to have a definition for the toolhot/ hottool.bmp so for example the first 40 icons are always in the same order positioned in the bmp-file. Now you can simply replace the bmp's or copy in you own toolbars.cfg in the just downloaded new theme.

How are the opinions for this?

Jan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Toolbar-icon positions
Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 08, 2004 11:52PM

Jan,

With real estate at a premium on my notebook, I am always in favor of having some of the buttons on the main toolbar, but not all.

The essentials ones for me are;

Left arrow, Up arrow, right arrow, stop, reload, email, home, search, print, history, Java toggle, Javascript toggle, Popup toggle (in no particular order).

As I mentioned before, Romanito's Privacy DLL perhaps with buttons in addition to its place on the main menu as a Privacy header.

N

Posted by: Al.
Date: September 09, 2004 05:08AM

I always use the default theme (the IE5 one) with it's toolbars as a template usually when creating new themes, but once I then get into extra button territory it's all icons for themselves! Only kidding of course.

The main problem I see is it really depends upon what extra macros you want to cater for. I set myself a bit of a standard a while ago when I decided to create the Bonus Packs: with the Bonus Packs I had a set of macros that I added and thereafter the extra icons I added to a theme were based upon that. However, whilst Early-Blue was an exception, as I personally prefer the small floating toolbar which can be positioned anywhere you like, that's what I stuck to with the newer Bonus Packs, unless somebody requested that they preferred a singular toolbar and wanted everything together (never happened really).

So in the future it depends upon what extra macros you want to now ne standard, and we'll take it from there.

Date: September 09, 2004 03:33PM

Al,

I've gone back to the IE default clone theme too with 0.8.3. I found Early Blue too confusing right now with it and I wanted to play with all the new icons.

Thoughts there would revolve around making the new themes better looking, such as the XXXX's being replaced by real icons like in Early Blue for example.

Oh yes, an Email button!

<g>

N

Date: September 09, 2004 10:25PM

Well I tend to think that once we're in agreeance to what extra buttons should be considered as standard, then I can update the skinning tutorial a bit more.

I'll present my list of .:nominations:. here shortly.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 10, 2004 07:02AM

I alway stick them together in two rows. I have also made hard bars wih my favorite themes (ones that can notrebared anymore because changes are in toolbar.cfg)

New additional icons. i think the "toggles" are more needed than even print.
toggles are use fast when something is wrong - print can be in meuns instead -
that is a slow rarely needed thing - to me anyway.
regards

Date: September 10, 2004 07:43AM

Well if we can come to some sort of agreement then it'll also help to "standardise" these buttons (and macros) as Ulf is looking at incorporating new macros and preferences into the next official release.

As you say Guenter, the Toggle... buttons are probably nearing the essential status, and I'd agree with that. There's nothing like being able to turn things off on the fly, and this is also an ability that not many other browsers have.

Anyway here are my suggestions:

Security Related.
1. Toggle Javascript On/Off.
2. Toggle Java On/Off.
3. Toggle Images On/Off.
4. Block Cookies.

External Applications.
1. Launch Email Client.
2. Launch IM.

Miscellaneous.
1. Increase / Decrease Font.
2. Search Google (or search engine of choice) from URL bar.
3. Launch Webpage of choice (My K-Meleon)

Now these are in addition to what I term the usual icons/buttons you get with the default IE5 theme (the template I use). The default theme has icons there for Go and Up Directory so that's why they don't appear above.

Anyone got any others to add?

Date: September 10, 2004 06:51PM

thx Al: -> i net getting a more dangerous place.

Security Related.
1. Toggle Javascript On/Off.
2. Toggle Java On/Off.
3. Toggle Images On/Off.
4. Block Cookies.
5. embed?
6. object!
7 referer?

9. panik block all <-- maybe red and first button? object, js & embed most vital!
more vital than privacy such as cookies, okie?

External Applications.
1. a speczialized liitle "bookmarks" dll & file with serveral bookmarks hung in
2. and two showing!

rest = agreement more or less.
we should aim at making google and other extra bar instalable // i made google
that at least chrome is de-instalable!

Date: September 10, 2004 10:38PM

p. s. we are in an unique position -
Wechselbalg is possibly fastest Gecko.
Official crews browsr will hopefully lack not far behind! Or be as fast or fater!

we have two of the most powerfull Geckos - why not lawish with some :

out-of-the-box functions?

as many as a two row toolbars will possibly contain (medium icons - povided).

p. s. (i in my not shho i do see no reason why not to lavish )

Date: September 11, 2004 02:58AM

Al,

I like your list a lot. I would add buttons for Rominto's Privacy DLL too. Nothing else I can think of.

Right now, I've maneuvered everything around on Nautopolis to one line except for Tabs/Layers as below:

Left arrow, Right Arrow, Reload, Stop, Up Arrow, Search, Print, History, Block Popus (needs its own icon), Block Images (same), Block JavaScript (same), Block Java (same), Show Preferences, View Source, Increase Font, Decrease Font, New Tab, Close Tab, URL Navigation dialog box, Start GoogleBar, Configure GoogleBar, and a choice for the new Bowler Hat Green Lizard or the old traditional goofy Lizard.

Adding the EMAIL button in there somewhere is imperative to my mind.

N

Date: September 11, 2004 03:31AM

Jan, Al and Guenter and everyone,

One old thought just showed up again. I have never liked the bookmark manager. Not even a little bit.

Anybody in Europe know of a way to get ahold of the guy who wrote GUL? Aside from its being unable to create new bookmarks, it is simple, elegant, one click operation and it imports and exports Netscape and IE.

Since it is now "deadware" I wonder if the author might not be willing to donate the source code to SourceForge (and by extension US)??????

<just thinking>

N

Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 11, 2004 03:10PM

Al,

When you get a spec pulled together, can you post that to the developer's list so that Ulf can incorporate the details into the toolbars file. I was thinking that the toolbars.cfg intro section could use some cleaning up.

Date: September 12, 2004 01:12AM

Al,

When you get a spec pulled together, can you post that to the developer's list so that Ulf can incorporate the details into the toolbars file. I was thinking that the toolbars.cfg intro section could use some cleaning up.

Sure no problem. I will also wait to see what additions jsnj has come up with for the config files before submitting (so as to avoid duplicates).

Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 14, 2004 04:58PM

I submitted the files to Ulf & the dev list but the dev list rejected it because it contained a zip file. If Ulf decides to use the setup for testing, the only additions for toolbar icons were zoom in/zoom out icons, mail button, and layer/window buttons(2 only). The privacy bar is text based, like Mozilla's prefbar/buttons.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.