Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
next "official" release
Posted by: Andrew
Date: August 25, 2004 09:56PM

Hi all,

Believe it or not, there is a new beta based on Mozilla 1.7.2 ready for
testing. However, before we make that available, I would like to hear back
from some of the unofficial developers and testers about the best way to
proceed. I haven't been keeping up with the Forums but from what I've
read, there's work already in progress on an unofficial build along the
lines of what Ulf has put together.

I don't want us to duplicate each others work. And I would like to see an
official release sooner rather than later. So, I would really like to hear
from those working on the unofficial build what all is in that release
that is new/improved/changed. That way, we can identify the differences in
the builds and see how much of that work can be incorporated into the
that is new/improved/changed. That way, we can identify the differences in
the builds and see how much of that work can be incorporated into the
release.

Also, Ulf would like some people to commit to assisting with testing and
working on various areas, like testing plugins, identifying which files
are needed/missing, etc. so that we can quickly get this version from
pre-beta to release ready.

Respond back to the list (or the Forums but preferably the list). The sooner we hear from people, the sooner the beta can be made available.

Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: next "official" release
Posted by: vincent
Date: August 27, 2004 02:55PM

I'm in. Just tell me what I need to do.

Posted by: Fulvio Perini
Date: August 27, 2004 03:36PM

Same here. I think that I should go to the list.

Posted by: J.C.A.N
Date: August 27, 2004 07:04PM

Hey, could someone give me some advice as I unchecked my toolbars and now I cannot get them open, haven't found anything that covers this problem, need it quick, Thankyou, J.C.A.N

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: August 28, 2004 12:06AM

For Vincent and Fulvio: You may want to check with Al who is co-ordinating and compiling a features and bug list under "General". The thread topic is: "For the next release..." He's also listed a URL to the Devlist (no, you don't have to be a dev to join) where you can join up for beta-testing of the next "Official Build", input your ideas, what you found, etc.

For JACAN: You might have better luck asking this question in the "General" part of the forum. But I'll give it a go.

Go to "Edit" on the menubar and doto "Preferences". In there go to "Plugins". Look for "Toolbar Control Plugin" and make SURE that it has a checkmark and is not a red square in front of it. If there is a red square in front of it, click on it and click on the button "Enable/Disable". That should enable it. If you are asked if you want to save changes click "yes", click "Ok" and then restart K-Meleon (remember to shut down the loader if using it---many of us caution even using it as it's very buggy).

If the "Toolbar Control Plugin" was enabled (no red square) then try "View" on the menubar and go to "Toolbars" and make sure that what you want in there is checked. Those changes should be immediate without restarting K-Meleon.

I hope this helped!

Cheers

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: J,C.A.N
Date: August 29, 2004 12:16AM

<i>The problem was that the top toolbar with file, edit, view, go, bookmarks ,favorites, etc where not visable so I had no way to get to the get to edit to get to preferences. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling it was all I could do. Which I might add a suggestion that their should be another way of being able to access into the top menu from perhaps the toolbar on the desktop, I noticed that there are no real options,but to config, exit, the loader. It could be a real problem if someone else does the same thing, once you uncheck the toolbar by mistake, there should be away to open up again through some other access which there wasn't.

Thankyou, J.C.A.N </I>

Re: next &quot;official&quot; release
Posted by: TransitMan
Date: August 29, 2004 03:26AM

Andrew, I'm BETA testing the next "official" release now.
So far, no problems.

On a Win2kSP4 machine.

Date: August 29, 2004 05:41AM

Actually JACAN it could have been done, but it would have had to have been done through Prefs.js if memory serves me correctly because if any plugin gets unticked then it can be reset from within there. Guenter would've been a good person to have helped you with that in "General". But at least you got it working again.

And most definitely! A way should be made so a person should still be able to access preferences regardless of whether or not the menubar is there. Better still: It should be made so the menubar NEVER disappears! winking smiley

Sorry I couldn't help and that you had so much trouble my friend. sad smiley

Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 29, 2004 02:15PM

le sauvage was right about pref.js. - his memory is better than he claims.. : o ))
another simple solution delete current profile or ...
actually i got stuck at the same point once.... had to deinstall ; o ))

Did You already file a dev request in long thread in General?
regards

Date: August 30, 2004 09:32PM

Guenter,

Just curious, but he would have had to go into the prefs.js and where it says in a preference (basically) "load toolbar plugin" he would have had to enable that---set it to "true", am I correct?

Ah! Found it! This one here:

user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.layers.load", true);

It probably got set to "false" somehow and if JACAN had gone and set it to "true", exited KM and restarted again he would've had his toolbars back, jah?

I just wished that I had thought of that at the time then he wouldn't have had to go through the process of reinstall! Or, like you said, make a new profile... I never think of making a new profile. -sigh-

Strange though: I never realised that if the toolbar plugin was disabled that you lost the menubar too! That should be filed as a BUG. If any user makes a mistake, like JACAN did, and disables that then they are left with no way to access their preferences "the normal, easy way", see? If they are on a build they can't always type "about:config" as some builds it doesn't work, and not everyone can understand how to open the prefs.js in notepad. BUG.

À bientôt,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: J,C.A.N
Date: September 02, 2004 03:26AM

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge" I will document that fix, I never thought to re-edit toolbars to true. Well at least if it happens to someone else, on the forum it will be a familiar bug to all! Is it possible to get the beta version now?

J.C.A N --JohnNaughton

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 02, 2004 02:01PM

hi - do not know about beta - probably not that kind of would appear on all threads.

this bug? - maybe it does not happen always or most are to shy to say. & things like that are only done once. reinstall or kill profile are less effort than anything else - as long as you remember to safe files You customized. one other good idea is to rename used profile in order to scavange for files later.

Easy to saiy - rmembering when excited because something has gone wrong is the art i have not completely mastered yet.

Posted by: TexasFett
Date: September 02, 2004 06:55PM

Using the build given in the mailing list (unstable.zip 8-25), Open in Background is not working for me, its opening in foreground instead. Its not that pages are poping to the front, the new window opens on top.

In the Go menu, Home lists its assigned key as "Alt+VK_HOME"

In the View menu, the Toolbars submenu, the last two options (Status and Lock) seem to have an extra space in front of them. They don't line up with the others. Thats a minor issue and has been there since at least the last release.

Posted by: TexasFett
Date: September 02, 2004 07:00PM

More to add:

If you try to open a window in the background and switch back to the previous window, as soon as the other page loads it will pop to the foreground again.

If you attempt to open a link in the background and close it before it can load the page KM will crash every time.

Posted by: vincent
Date: September 10, 2004 03:37AM

For some reason, I get the following 3 message boxes whenever I tried to save something:
First one:
Title: OnStateChange

Second one:
Title: OnStateChange

Third one:
Title: Close

All of them have an "Ok" button

I don't get them on my win2k box at work, but i got them at home (win2k & win98) and at my friend's computer (xp).

Any ideas?

Posted by: Fast Sjonny
Date: October 04, 2004 08:45PM

For the people who want to test the testbuild for the next official as can be found on the developerslist http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?max_rows=25&style=ultimate&offset=50&forum_id=2617 I have changed the boxed_classic skin a little and added some buttons for the privacy-toolbar.
You can download the boxed_classic skin for the testrelease at: http://www.hch.uwnet.nl/k-meleon/tmp/boxed_classic.exe

Jan.

Date: October 04, 2004 08:46PM

Sorry, the link for the developerslist should be http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=kmeleon-dev

Jan.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: October 04, 2004 10:29PM

That's nice. :-) I especially like the privacy bar. One thing, the hidden bookmarks|favorites|hotlist button has the preferences icon by mistake I think.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 05, 2004 05:48AM

Jan,

I tried to use your URL to get the official test build, but somehow managed to muckit up.

Help!

N

Posted by: michael
Date: October 05, 2004 09:01AM

Where *is* the next official test build? It would be nice to try it out.

regards

Posted by: Andrew
Date: October 05, 2004 03:53PM

Michael,

Watch the developers list. The current build out there doesn't include all of the changes that have been made in the past week.

Date: October 11, 2004 09:04PM

You can try the testbuild as I am using it now:
http://hch.uwnet.nl/k-meleon/testrelease.html

Jan.

Posted by: TransitMan
Date: October 12, 2004 03:42AM

I have made a post at http://www.broadbandreports.com/ to make it known over there for those that like to test alternative browsers.

Posted by: mc
Date: October 12, 2004 10:34AM

i retrieve with happyness Kmeleon development , its a wonderful thing , i just test your test build ...and its very interesting ...

hope a release will be out very soon ...

Thanks ...for all

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.