Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Usage of icons in toolxxx.bmp
Posted by: Marc (@box.)
Date: December 25, 2003 02:14AM

boogomatic, or anyone who knows,

What is the meaning/usage of each icon in the files toolhot.bmp ... and menu.bmp ?
I'm in touch with the creator of the Phoenity skin, and I need to know exactly what is missing.

So far out of the 19 icons of "tool", I know 0-6, 12, 16-18. I think I know some of the others, but I need to be sure what is their intended use.
And in menu.bmp, what is the meaning of the 4 unassigned icons?

By the way, I think the "ID_FILE_PRINTSETUP" icon is shifted 1 pixel to the right. The next icon is "ID_FILE_CLOSE", and you can see in KM's "File" menu that it has 4 black pixels added to its left side.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Usage of icons in toolxxx.bmp
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: December 25, 2003 03:45AM

Marc:

The image order in the actual file is independent of any set specs. The main factor is how they are linked in toolbars.cfg.

Exempli gratia:

Back {
ID_NAV_BACK
Go back one page
hottool.bmp[0]
coldtool.bmp[0]
deadtool.bmp[0]
}

The back button would be linked to the first image in each of the bitmaps (0 index position). So you can basically put them in any order you want in the actual file, so long as you map them correctly in the config (n.b., the height / width of each index position are defined in the toolbar declaration at the top of the config file, defaults are 16 x 16 pix).

As for the menu bitmaps, I think that the top-to-bottom order in menuicons.cfg maps to the left-to-right positions in the bitmap (14 x 14 px for each position if I recall).

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: December 25, 2003 01:35PM

I know about that.
I was just asking for the missing information.

For example, the tool icons that are used in toolbars.cfg are

0 Back
1 Forward
2 Stop
3 Reload
4 Home
5 Search
6 Print
7 * Close ??
12 History
14 * fullscreen ??
16 GO
17 Up
18 Popup Blocker

I need to know what is the intended purpose of the others (7 to 11, 13-15)

The same goes for menu.bmp and menuicons.cfg.
There are 4 unused (not binded) icons. Starting with the one with the 2 "A" letters, then the grayed "wrench and hammer over window", the half-gray history icon, and the "small window in bigger one" (fullscreen ?).

Posted by: boogomatic
Date: December 25, 2003 04:17PM

Marc
These are not written in stone, therefore a skin can define icons any way you want. Some are not used since there isn't a way, that I know of yet, to apply an icon to a macro command in the menus.
I'll take a look at the shifted icon you mentioned. I don't use the menu icons since it disables the keystroke functions of the menus.

toolxxxx.bmp
0 Back
1 Forward
2 Stop
3 Reload
4 Home
5 Search
6 Print
7 * Close
8 * Text size (increase-decrease)
9 * I use this one on the toolbar to start an email message
10 * Preferences
11 * Plugins
12 History
13 * Can be used to check email
14 * fullscreen
15 * Print preview
16 GO
17 Up
18 Popup Blocker

menu.bmp
ID_EDIT_CUT
ID_EDIT_COPY
ID_EDIT_PASTE
ID_NEW_BROWSER
ID_FILE_OPEN
ID_FILE_SAVE_AS
ID_SAVE_IMAGE_AS
ID_APP_ABOUT
ID_LINK_KMELEON_HOME
ID_EDIT_SELECT_ALL
ID_FILE_PRINT
ID_EDIT_FIND
ID_EDIT_FINDNEXT
ID_EDIT_FINDPREV
ID_FONT_INCREASE
ID_FONT_DECREASE
ID_MANAGE_PROFILES
ID_PREFERENCES
ID_VIEW_SOURCE
ID_WINDOW_NEXT
ID_WINDOW_PREV
ID_NAV_SEARCH
ID_FILE_PRINTSETUP
ID_FILE_CLOSE
0 * Font increase/decrease (not used)
ID_LINK_KMELEON_FORUM
ID_LINK_ABOUT_PLUGINS
0 * (not used)
0 * View history (if we were able to bind menu icons to macro commands)
ID_LINK_KMELEON_FAQ
0 * Full screen (if we were able to bind menu icons to macro commands)
ID_FILE_PRINTPREVIEW
ID_APP_EXIT
ID_LINK_KMELEON_MANUAL
ID_NAV_HOME
ID_NAV_BACK
ID_NAV_FORWARD
ID_NAV_STOP
ID_NAV_RELOAD

-boogomatic-

Posted by: Brian
Date: December 25, 2003 04:42PM

Phoenity is an attractive skin - it would certainly be good if it could be made more complete.

Date: December 25, 2003 04:58PM

Thanks

I'll contact Lim with this informations

Date: December 25, 2003 05:05PM

boogomatic wrote:
> I don't use the menu icons since it disables the keystroke functions
> of the menus.

As far as I know, the problem is with the rebar plugin. You can use the menu icons with the normal menus. They are displayed correctly.

Posted by: boogomatic
Date: December 25, 2003 06:50PM

Thanks Marc, I had always disabled both the rebarmenu and bmpmenu plugins.
It seems that the menus do work properly with the icons displayed.
I guess that I had never actually tried it, and have just made it a habit, but you are correct, menu keystrokes do work with the bmpmenu plugin enabled. I find it much quicker than the mouse on my laptop.

We do learn something new every day.

-boogomatic-

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: December 25, 2003 10:23PM

I mark this day down on my calendar! >;oþ Sorry boogomatic! I couldn't resist a teeny jab. LOL! Merry Xmas too my friend! smiling smiley

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: Lim Chee Aun
Date: December 26, 2003 03:12PM

Ho ho ho...
Phoenity for K-meleon 0.8 released!
http://phoenity.com/kmeleon.html

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: December 26, 2003 03:44PM

Looks awsome. Nice work! smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Lim Chee Aun
Date: December 26, 2003 04:22PM

Hm.. I wonder if anyone would like bigger toolbar icons.. maybe 24x24px..

Posted by: Andrew
Date: December 26, 2003 06:06PM

I'm assuming this works in 0.8.2 too?

Question
Date: December 26, 2003 07:51PM

<to Lim>
Your skin is really nice. smiling smiley
</Lim>

Still I have a question.
I don't know if many users do this, but I use the possibility to override skin files by placing a copy in the profile directory. I do this for toolbars.cfg. This allows me keep my toolbars (modified and new ones) when switching skin, or upgrading.

It works as long as the toolxxxx.bmp are similar across skins. That is, the same icon at the same place in the file.

The new theme from Lim has a problem with this. His toolxxxx.bmp files are not complete compared to other skins.
If I switch to Phoenity I end up with blank buttons (I use icons above [ 9 ]).

Shouldn't we setup a wiki giving the basic rules to create themes? One being respecting a standard layout in the toolxxx.bmp (but allowing more icons).

Posted by: jsnj
Date: December 26, 2003 07:58PM

Nice. it's been added to the Themes page.

Date: December 26, 2003 08:24PM

Just read your post Marc. I'll sample his theme and get back to you, but what you propose sounds like a good idea anyway.

Date: December 26, 2003 09:15PM

What theme are you using Marc? Except for the missing Popup Blocker button, the Phoenity skin is pretty much standard representing 3 states, hot, cold & dead and very similar to the default toolbars.cfg. The themes I submitted are different, representing only 2 states since that's really all that's needed to make an effective skin and it reduces the theme zip file size. I also wasn't thinking of users having a fixed toolbars.cfg, but that may be a good idea.

What would be better is if the toolbar plugin was altered or re-written so that toolbar buttons could be displayed or hidden via a check mark similar to the tool bars via View-Toolbars. Right now that's only possible if each button is its own separate toolbar, which isn't practical or cosmetically appealing.

Posted by: gaasbyte
Date: December 26, 2003 11:38PM

i have edited the toolhot, toolcold and tooldead bitmaps with paint in some of the themes i use to add more buttons for new macros. i just found icons, resized them and "pasted from" them into the toolxxxx.bmp after (to the right side of) the other icons. you have to resize the original toolxxxx.bmp to make room. then i referenced them as toolxxxx.bmp(7or8orwhatever) in the toolbars.cfg file.

worked pretty good. of course, i have no intention of anything other than personal use of these modified themes.

someday, when there is time, i'll do a skin from scratch using "default" as a template. i imagine that this is where most skins have come from.

Date: December 27, 2003 12:47PM

jsnj wrote:
> What theme are you using Marc?
I use the default skin. But some of the alternate themes are interesting.

> Except for the missing Popup
> Blocker button, the Phoenity skin is pretty much standard
> representing 3 states, hot, cold & dead and very similar to
> the default toolbars.cfg.
The first 8 icons are similar. [0-7]
The history icon is moved from [12] to [8], "Go" from [16] to [9]. All other icons are missing.

> The themes I submitted are
> different, representing only 2 states since that's really all
> that's needed to make an effective skin and it reduces the
> theme zip file size.
10K is not that big. winking smiley

As for the missing state. It has a consequence on my "system". The "cold" icon used (since my toolbars.cfg uses them) is taken from the default skin. Quite amusing result.

If I recall correctly, at one point KM wasn't looking for the missing file in the default directory. This is why I think I didn't see it when I first try the principle of overriding toolbars.cfg.

> I also wasn't thinking of users having a
> fixed toolbars.cfg, but that may be a good idea.
I'll look in a way to make it work better (icon size independant). And also allow KM to see several skins in the same theme (alternate sizes: small/big)

> What would be better is if the toolbar plugin was altered or
> re-written so that toolbar buttons could be displayed or
> hidden
<...>
Exactly

Date: December 27, 2003 07:24PM

All other icons are missing.

They are not used in toolbars.cfg default configuration, so that's why I didn't consider them missing. He ignored the commented out buttons Popup Blocker & Up directory which he probably shouldn't have since he referenced them in the toolbars.cfg file.

10K is not that big. winking smiley

I'd have to create 2 other strips for the "dead" state, 1 for big buttons, and 1 for small buttons. In the case of the Knoia skin, that translates to an extra 100k. Even if it was just for the big buttons, that alone would be an extra 70k. I could get rid of some of the unused images in the strip but that's extra work :-)....Also, they give users choices for their macros.

The "cold" icon used (since my toolbars.cfg uses them) is taken from the default skin.

All of mine have the "cold" state, but the big buttons have the name Hottool & Coldtool. If you used my small button toolbars.cfg they have toolhot & toolcold, but your fixed toolbars.cfg(assuming it's similar to the default) would use the "dead" state of the default skin since I don't have that state.

I'll look in a way to make it work better (icon size independant). And also allow KM to see several skins in the same theme (alternate sizes: small/big)

That sounds like a difficult task. :-)

Date: December 27, 2003 07:35PM

(alternate sizes: small/big)

Actually re-reading that, that's already possible. Something like this:

Reload(24,24) {
ID_NAV_FORCE_RELOAD
Reload current page
Hottool.bmp[3]
Hottool.bmp[3]