Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
v0.8
Posted by: jip
Date: June 03, 2003 04:25PM

just wondering how developments are goin cos there hasnt been an update in a while.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: v0.8
Posted by: ra
Date: June 03, 2003 06:01PM
Posted by: C
Date: June 05, 2003 01:48AM

Not even a response from Andrew! >_< At least Monkee is still coming out with new builds!

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: June 05, 2003 05:43AM

The devs are busy sometimes. Life happens. But keep in mind mi I-dren (as they say in patois) -- de race am not fi de swift but who I-ndureth, yah unnastand? Jah! smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Andrew
Date: June 05, 2003 03:00PM

Sorry, a couple of us have had some other commitments. We're working on getting everyone together for 0.8. I'll post more details as soon as we get that together.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 06, 2003 04:30AM

Andrew,

No apology required to my mind. KM is my default browser and I appreciate a developers philosophy of getting it right before releasing it. Considering the turmoil in the Mozilla, Phoenix and Netscape camps, waiting for an 0.8 that is based on a stable release (hopefully MoZ 1.4 Final) is something I can wait around for happily.

Tks!

N

Posted by: berny
Date: June 30, 2003 04:01PM

We are in 2013 .... K-Meleon v 0.8 finally comes out ... :-)

Posted by: zoom
Date: July 01, 2003 11:15PM

Well at least Mozilla 1.4 Final has been released, Now It's only a matter of time till K-Meleon 0.8 is released. smiling smiley

Posted by: George
Date: August 14, 2003 08:17PM

No it not a matter of time for K-Meleon becuase Mozilla has went though several version since 0.7 was released. At the pace that that K-Meleon is released it could take years for 0.8 to be finished. They should release 0.8 after all the major bugs have been fixed. And little bugs can be fixed in 0.81 and later. They should at least release something.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: August 14, 2003 09:08PM
Posted by: Jeroen Roeterd
Date: August 15, 2003 06:40PM

The one thing that is annoying (in my opinion) are the posts saying that a new version is very near. I respect releasing when it is good ect. but don't post that it will be with version 1.2 and we are still waiting while version 1.4 is out.

People rely on what you are promising and aspecting something. When they are disappointed to many times they will leave this site and that is a shame because they are potentially users, testen, documenters, ect.

I happened to me. I have not visited this site for more than 8 month's but I like the concept of Kmeleoen and keep coming back.

I know it is difficult but promise something only when you know you can make it. For all I care you have the new version lying around and only then announce the new version in the next two weeks.

greetings,
Jeroen Roeterd

Posted by: bigbud3
Date: August 15, 2003 10:58PM

Goed gezegd !

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: August 16, 2003 05:34AM

Jeroen:

I don't believe that the problem is in announcing that a new version will be out soon--which is perfectly true, I might add, and there is a pre-beta out right now if you want to check the dev-list--the problem is people assuming that soon means a day or a week or a month.

If people want to leave -- let them. This is an open community, and no one is trying to beg people to stay.

Most of the people that have been around for some time (and I am a relatively new-comer myself compared to some others here), know the time-frame for releases and don't expect that "soon" means "tomorrow" by any means. They also have no plans of leaving that I can see, because they are perfectly happen with the progress so far.

What was said was that when Moz. 1.4 became stable then K-M would progress toward v. 0.8. This is exactly what has happened. No broken promises.

So I have to respectfully disagree with you. The problem is not that K-M was said to be coming soon, it is with people who expect that the code will somehow code and compile itself while they just sit on their hands and wait, and then get mad when it doesn't.

As that one guy says..."And that's another perspective on the news..." smiling smiley

No disrespect intended, just another view of things.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Eric
Date: August 17, 2003 07:30AM

Being only an user I can't expect developpers do quickly something they release for free, so we know you're doing your best, and K-meleon is still usable so we can wait a bit more smiling smiley

Many thanks to the developpers of K-meleon. It's also my default browser.

Date: August 20, 2003 12:58AM

You are wrong when developers anncounce somthing is coming soon doesn't mean the time frame of a year or more. I heard about 0.8 about a year ago and they seem no where close to be finishing it when they had about a year to do so.
Coming Soon means a few months or less. Not a year or more which is not somthing coming and people who say that this time frame is means coming soon are either lying or are redining the true meaning of coming soon.

Posted by: Al.
Date: August 20, 2003 01:44AM

About a year ago 0.7 hadn't been released, so I don't know where you were reading about v0.8 being started upon. As the relase date for v0.7 was 10-31-02, well a year ago we were still beta testing it.

That not withstanding, v0.7 SP1 then surfaced in February this year, which was about six months ago, so I don't believe that any news of v0.8 has surfaced until recently, which in laymans terms means the past couple of months. The pre-beta testing has begun for v0.8, so I mean be patient, it may be a while before the final release does come out, but hey it's not like they're doing nothing at all.

Posted by: Raimis
Date: August 31, 2003 07:46AM

Make public beta testing :] (nightly builds)

Date: August 31, 2003 10:28PM

Last time I checked, you can grab a copy of the latest beta from the developers mailing list/forum, and no you don't have to be a "developer" to join in, just be prepared to submit bug reports whenever necessary.

Date: September 03, 2003 12:23PM

I have heard about 0,8 soon after 0,7 ahortly was released and shorly after that they said it was coming soon and that was nearly a year when they said it would be coming and they are still saying with out giving us any time frame when they we will be done and now say they are testing a Pre-Beta release without giving any time frame about how long it will be released. Since when coming to soon means nearly a year it doesn't it actually that time frame doesn't mean soon it means they have a long way to go before it done. Comming Soon should mean a few months not 6 months ore more. Should release a version with all the major bugs fixed and they can fix the minor ones in 0.81 which in my opinion is the right way to do it, That how all other developers and works pretty fine in my opinion.

Date: September 03, 2003 10:04PM

Oh George give it up, there was no mention of v0.8 until recently. In case you didn't notice, they did release v0.7 Service Pack 1 back a couple of months ago, so *that* was the next version after v0.7.

Unless you can actually point me to a forum posting from one of the developers here, from "a year ago" which actually mentions v0.8 "coming soon", then maybe your belligerent arguments might actually start to make sense. And don't just say that "you heard it". ;-)

Posted by: Aaron
Date: September 05, 2003 03:20AM

I posted this before, but no one answered. Maybe it's because my question seems stupid and simple-minded... but anywho, my question was, what am I doing wrong when it comes to compiling the source for KMeleon? When I go to "rebuild all", all I get is "layers.dll" that comes out of the compiler... ok something isn't right here. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. cajunman4life@cox.net is how I can be reached.

Date: September 05, 2003 09:40PM

Aaron, I don't know if this is a particularly good place to ask such a question, as by now you should have noticed that the developers do not pay much attention to these forums anyhow. Monkeesage might be able to help you, but he seems to be on hiatus at the moment.

I don't know if you've tried it, but maybe asking on the developers mailing list might yield better results. You can access and subscribe to the mailing list here:
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/kmeleon-dev

Posted by: Aaron
Date: September 05, 2003 10:05PM

I was posting here in the hopes that maybe someone who has worked with the source before might be able to respond... not necessarily a dev... but I'll try that. Thanks!

Posted by: Son of Spam
Date: September 08, 2003 04:47PM

So - is k-meleon dead in the water?

Posted by: Jack
Date: September 16, 2003 09:04PM

I would certainly say so. And unlike Spock, it will most likely stay dead. It's a shame. A Gecko browser with a Windows native UI is a sweet idea, but the K-Meleon developers just couldn't bring it together for whatever reason. The only other browser that's had such a slow development is Internet Explorer, and that says something.

Posted by: boogomatic
Date: September 17, 2003 03:39AM

Son of Spam wrote:
"So - is k-meleon dead in the water?"

In a word, NO
see:kmeleon-dev-list

<boogomatic>
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win95; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624 K-Meleon/0.8b

Date: September 19, 2003 12:41PM

You are wrong because news of 0.8 did mot come recently because heard about from 6 Months to a Year ago sometime about 2002 so information did not come out recently. You should keep your mouth shut when saying because I have been checking out K-meleon since 0.3 so long have you checking it out. So I know exactly what I am talking about and you dot not. May be you have just started checking it out recently, I have heard about 0,8 coming soon shortly after 0.7 and before 0.71. I think 0,7 came out in 2001 so coming soon has a new meaning ny K-Meleon Developers. The truth is takes K-Meleon almost forever to get the version,

Date: September 19, 2003 09:18PM

Sure George, whatever you say. btw, are you only allowed on your computer once a month, because boy you sure are slow replying. ;-)

Date: September 19, 2003 09:32PM

I think 0,7 came out in 2001 so coming soon has a new meaning ny K-Meleon Developers.

btw George...

10-31-02: K-Meleon 0.7 released. Based on the Mozilla 1.2b codebase, and optimized for speed, version 0.7 showcases the flexibilty and modularity that K-Meleon is famous for. Is it missing a feature you'd love? Grab the source, join the developers list, and help us make it even better. Enjoy.

Looks like you're trying to add a new meaning as to when 0.7 came out. ;-)

Posted by: Son of Spam
Date: September 22, 2003 04:24PM

Still, it's been hanging on the same version number for almost a year?!? That's really pretty slow - even Camino has been faster than that (not much, though). The lack of awareness about k-meleon probably doesn't help, but frankly the lack of updates is probably not helping either. I would be willing to bet that there is a significant population that goes somehow runs across the k-meleon page,looks at the notes and dates of releases, and decides it must be an abandoned project. I know it isn't, but I am sure that there are a lot of people who didn't take the time to look at the forums and otherwise dig a little deeper.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.