Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
New embed_lite.dll (Andrew or devs please read)
Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: January 14, 2003 03:24PM

The new embed_lite.dll contains Codeview debugging info and is MUCH larger than it needs to be. The start of the debugging info is indicated by the identifier NB11 so if the debugging info was stripped the file size would be a tiny 10,832 bytes. I did this manually and it works fine.

Now that a straightforward history file format (history.txt) is being used instead of that awful mork database format does that mean a global history plugin akin to the bookmarks plugin will be coming soon ? Such a plugin should work similar to the global history function (Ctrl-H) does in Netscape/Mozilla. Also buttons in prefs to clear the global history (reset or delete history.txt) and the URL history (clear the m_URLs array in memory) would be nice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New embed_lite.dll (Andrew or devs please read)
Date: January 14, 2003 06:29PM

Is there a way to access the global history functionality from Javascript to enumerate the global history list and implement a simple view global history function ? Currently you can use a macro to display the history.txt file and bind that to Ctrl-H but the history is only flushed to the file after a number of updates to the history (10 or so ?). Also since you're looking at the raw file, it's unsorted, the date/time is in binary format and of course since it isn't html there are no links, you have to copy a URL to the URL bar manually.

Here's a macro to view history.txt:

view_history_txt {
$var = getpref(STRING, "kmeleon.general.settingsDir");
open($var . "history.txt");
}

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 14, 2003 10:23PM

asmpgmr,

Can you send me a copy of the modified file?

Date: January 15, 2003 01:22AM

Done, if it isn't 10,832 bytes then do the following to truncate the file and remove the debugging info:

debug embed_lite.dll
rbx
rcx
2a50
w
q

Also I read the thread on the mailing list about this, history.txt is written out after every 10 additions to the history (checked the source) so a plugin would have to be able to call the global history flush function before reading the file. As for the Mozilla bug 188617, hopefully someone tells the Mozilla devs to keep the file format simple. If additional fields are needed then they should be tabbed delimited like cookies.txt. Please request that they do NOT use XML, that's just unnecessary bloat. Also the lines in history.txt are terminated with CR-CR-LF instead of just CR-LF.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 16, 2003 10:13PM

I replaced the 207kb embed_lite.dll with the 9kb version and visited links no longer worked. Went back to the 207kb and it worked fine. Are there other steps necessary to make the smaller file work?

Date: January 16, 2003 10:39PM

jsnj,

My bad - apparently, the file didn't get loaded correctly. I'll repost that shortly.

Date: January 16, 2003 10:46PM

jsnj,

Try again with the file I just posted.

http://tln.lib.mi.us/~amutch/pro/kmeleon/khistfiles.htm

Date: January 17, 2003 01:01AM

The one posted now matches the one I'm using and the embedded global history is working fine for me. You should probably still delete compreg.dat after installing embed_lite.dll though it gets rebuilt anyway the first time you run K-Meleon after installing it.

Note the global history expiration time can be changed via the pref, for example:
user_pref("browser.history_expire_days", 7);

The default value is 9.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 17, 2003 02:08AM

Works well now.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.