Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Phoenix Nightly Builds
Posted by: ThatDude
Date: October 07, 2002 01:38PM

For everyone who is tired of waiting for K-Meleon with no nightly builds and only a yearly update may be interested in the new kid on the block
"Phoenix Browser Project" its really fast.
Phoenix is a redesign of the Mozilla browser component, similar to Galeon, K-Meleon and Chimera, but written using the XUL user interface language and designed to be
cross-platform.
For your testing pleasure, they provide nightly binaries and milestones. See the Phoenix Releases page for more information. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/releases.html
I think this is what everyone interested in K-Meleon are looking for in a browser.
And the developement is very active.Just check it out and see if its what you need.
So far I like it better than any browser available that I've tried yet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Phoenix Nightly Builds
Posted by: Jason Foss
Date: October 07, 2002 05:11PM

"I think this is what everyone interested in K-Meleon are looking for in a browser."

Oh please, It is in no way a direct comparison. If you are going to use nighly builds, you might as well use the developer versions of K-Meleon. Much more stable and usable than anything phoenix has at the moment.

"So far I like it better than any browser available that I've tried yet."

It can't be better than IE is it? (See his other posts)

Posted by: Al.
Date: October 07, 2002 09:37PM

"For everyone who is tired of waiting for K-Meleon with no nightly builds and only a yearly update may be interested in the new kid on the block
"Phoenix Browser Project" its really fast."

Hmmm, methinks that ThatDude probably believes that we all have a short memory like he does. Not so long ago he was pointed towards the latest beta 0.65, I wonder if he even bothered to download it and try it. Like I've previously mentioned, there has been a fair release schedule as far as the K-Meleon betas are concerned, which average out to one every month. Hardly a once a year update.
Now as far as Phoenix goes, there has already been a couple of mentions of it. One quite lengthy thread in regards to it is here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=4784&t=4784
And then to prove how forgetful ThatDude is, somebody came along and used ThatDude's name as a sock puppet, and mentioned Phoenix in this thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=2&i=1122&t=1122
The most amusing part of this thread is the real ThatDude replied in it.

"Phoenix is a redesign of the Mozilla browser component, similar to Galeon, K-Meleon and Chimera, but written using the XUL user interface language and designed to be cross-platform."

Yep, which means it suffers from the same XUL interface bloat as Mozilla and Co. K-Meleon is still radically different in this department because it doesn't rely on XUL for it's interface.

"I think this is what everyone interested in K-Meleon are looking for in a browser."

I don't think so. It's no different than Mozilla.

"And the developement is very active.Just check it out and see if its what you need."

K-Meleon development is still pretty active as well. Just check out the developers mailing list for confirmation of this.

"So far I like it better than any browser available that I've tried yet."

Not so long ago you stated that you had made your decision, and you were sticking with Internet Explorer. But of course in your pursuit of disruption to the K-Meleon project, you have contradicted yourself on many occassions.

Date: October 08, 2002 01:26AM

Well I mean its the best browser I have tried yet that I like best other than IE,I don't think any browser will satisfy me as complete as IE.What I mean is for a fast browser that gets the job done it really seems to be great.Now as far as bloat I don't see any bloat and the xul interface seems great the whole download is only 7 megs and I understand thats because of some files left from mozilla and that they intend to clean all that up and the download will be even smaller than the current 7 megs.I know it runs at half the memory as Kmeleon 06 ran at and a lot faster. And I really like the drag and drop buttons that it has and its going to get better.So its a super compact Mozilla thats fine I love it.And the 2 nightly builds I have tried have worked great menus buttons and displays webpages fantastic.Check it out yourself you will too!

Al
"ThatDude probably believes that we all have a short memory like he does. Not so long ago he was pointed towards the latest beta 0.65, I wonder if he even bothered to download it and try it."

Hell no I did'nt download and try 0.65 after reading the post regarding it not having buttons and all that other unusable menus and crap that was making it useless, who would even release a beta to the public like that are you kiddin? Thanks but no thanks.Thats how short my memory is hehe..
I will see ya layer I'm gonna cruise around on my new toy Phoenix for a bit.
Chow Chow.

Date: October 08, 2002 03:52AM

"Hell no I did'nt download and try 0.65 after reading the post regarding it not having buttons and all that other unusable menus and crap that was making it useless, who would even release a beta to the public like that are you kiddin?"

Didn't think you would, despite your constant nagging for a newer version. btw, that beta that had the menu and toolbar problem was a couple of betas ago. The latest beta build functions normally, plus comes with a few add-ons including the Layers plugin (tab like browsing). Plus, it's quite fast loading and rendering.

But anyhow, it is clearly obvious that you aren't really interested in K-Meleon anymore, so I suppose it's a waste of time mentioning anything to you about it.

"I will see ya layer (sic) I'm gonna cruise around on my new toy Phoenix for a bit."

Till the novelty wears off and you come back here to keep nagging for a new K-Meleon version because you're impatient.

cya soon ThatDude ;-)

Date: October 08, 2002 03:04PM

AL
"But anyhow, it is clearly obvious that you aren't really interested in K-Meleon anymore, so I suppose it's a waste of time mentioning anything to you about it."

You were not mentioning it to me, you just said that so everyone else that reads this will get the message (Mind game).
And your right I'm not interested in Kmeleon anymore the novelty had wore off.
And your right about I'm just impatient.I'm sick like that! :-).
I have I guess just turned into a stupid troll.
I don't know what the hell I want anymore.

Posted by: firebird
Date: October 09, 2002 05:50AM

well, on my machine, Phoenix is the fastest browser, already extremely stable (never crashed yet), and there's even new versions released every now and then!!! yeah, really.. your points, that it's big in size, memory hog, blah blah, are also weak, just read the FAQ's... and please, who (besides some ubergeeks) gives a @!#$ about XUL and all that stuff?

hurry with development or you'll miss the train... if you havent already missed it, that is.....

Date: October 09, 2002 06:22AM

"well, on my machine, Phoenix is the fastest browser, already extremely stable (never crashed yet), and there's even new versions released every now and then!!! yeah, really.. your points, that it's big in size, memory hog, blah blah, are also weak, just read the FAQ's... and please, who (besides some ubergeeks) gives a @!#$ about XUL and all that stuff?"

Well that's nice, it looks to me that you have found the perfect browser for your machine, so much so it makes me wonder why it is you are here then?

Date: October 09, 2002 05:23PM

to wake up the developers :p

Posted by: Nat
Date: October 09, 2002 08:20PM

Sheesh. You guys really seem to get worked up over this whole thing. K-meleon 7 will make a huge impact on the the way my place of work functions when it is released. Naturally, I'm looking forward to that day. I also happen to trust the judgement of the people making it possible. I read the developer list quite frequently, and am fully aware that when the release happens, it will be the best browser these talented folks could make. Cheers to you all!

Posted by: Andy Korvemaker
Date: October 10, 2002 07:49PM

I agree Nat. Phoenix is doing some good work, but it's not for everyone. I have a slow computer (P150), so I notice small speed differences a lot. Phoenix take 32 seconds to load. K-Meleon takes 22 seconds. Opera takes 17 seconds. For me, Phoenix is way too slow.

Posted by: Tzafrir Cohen
Date: October 10, 2002 10:46PM

> Sheesh. You guys really seem to get worked up over > this whole thing. K-meleon 7 will make a huge impact > on the the way my place of work functions when it is > > released.

Hopefully this will be sometime in the foreseeable future.

I know many linux users prefer galeon. I suspect most OSX users rather use chimera.

Date: October 10, 2002 11:42PM

"I know many linux users prefer galeon."

To bad it doesn't work with qt and kde. I'm still stuck with Mozilla and NN4.7 with linux. (K-Meleon will work under linux, but is extremely slow, and I don't have the time to get it working better).

Posted by: Stefan
Date: October 11, 2002 03:05AM

i I'm still stuck with Mozilla and NN4.7 with linux. I'm still stuck with Mozilla and NN4.7 with linux.

Did you try Phoenix?
It's available for Win, Lin & OS2 already.

Date: October 11, 2002 04:12AM

Al
"Well that's nice, it looks to me that you have found the perfect browser for your machine, so much so it makes me wonder why it is you are here then?"

Well its probably because people are curious you know! After all there is not many other browsers to choose from.
For me its just one last chance to
kiss Kmeleons arse <--(sic) - typo not perfect like Al )) ...ROFL.
Phoenix will kick K-Meleon in the arse in the end! You'll see.
All other browsers other than IE just remind me of Linux, just a Good-will OS and software that functions cripply.Hours of agonizing configuring and if thats not enough simply do a apt-get dist-upgrade to recripple it as to have to re configure itall over again. ,,lol

Date: October 11, 2002 08:13AM

"I know many linux users prefer galeon."

i dont like Galeon at all, except for the search toolbar....

"I suspect most OSX users rather use chimera."

Phoenix won't be released for OSX, because there's no need, they alraedy have Chimera smiling smiley

Date: October 11, 2002 11:39AM

"Did you try Phoenix?
It's available for Win, Lin & OS2 already."

I tried .1, but not .2 yet. I actually prefered Mozilla over Phoenix .1 for some reason.

Posted by: oljo
Date: October 11, 2002 07:11PM

the more features a browser adds the bigger and slower it gets
usually.
so i am so bored by people telling me about some fledgling browser,
that renders fast.
of course it does. so what ?

this is about kmeleon. some will always like it's tangerine lizard
flavour.
others intime will go for the combustable bird.
whatever.
one thing is for sure,
kmeleon throbber rules.

Posted by: EdMack
Date: October 15, 2002 07:58PM

"Linux, just a Good-will OS and software that functions cripply" pah. Bahaha. Let me re-state, bahahaha. Ever seen the top 50 server uptime list? Look for your precious M$ products there.

Dont feed the trolls winking smiley
Posted by: _
Date: October 16, 2002 10:21PM

_

Posted by: goat^god
Date: October 21, 2002 06:53PM

Well, Phoenix looks great to me even at this early state it is now. The available features (Tabbed browsing, mouse gestures, pop up blocker, etc) is that what i always liked about Opera and missed in mozilla (Ok, mozilla has some of this features now too). Since mozilla 1.2b isn't working on my machine correctly and Opera and IE crashes too often, phoenix became my favorite browser. The only other browser that I use very often is mozilla 1.2a for editing my web pages. K-Meleon ain't bad, but the missing XUL support stops me from using it, because I can't use Chatzilla with it, and I hate to start an external IRC client.
Give those Phoenix guys some more time to add more features and remove the unused mozilla bloat, and we will see a great browser that will kick some asses.
Even in its current state its worth a try.

Just my 2 cents

Posted by: drsyncenstein
Date: October 27, 2002 12:59PM

phoenix sure is competition. i've been using the 0.3 and it works pretty well.
at least the bookmark management is much better than mozilla's.
i'll try the new kmeleon beta and see how it stacks up.

Posted by: nyeepity
Date: November 01, 2002 12:00AM

id just like to say that some of the flaming on these forums is hilarious, i see a lot of ppl here really need to get a life having huge arguments about fucking browsers ( :
i come here to find info on the latest betas and on occasion make a few comments about k-meleon in general. phoenix is a great browser if you want something easy to use that looks pretty, k-meleon is a great browser if you want something fast reliable and err fast...
i personally prefer k- but my mum's computer illeterate so i d/led phoenix for her

Posted by: xan
Date: November 01, 2002 08:50AM

I just loaded a couple pages here in both K-Meleon 7 and Phoenix 0.4, really I don't notice any difference in speed??

K-Meleon does load faster, however they both seem to use about the same amount of memory.

So my vote goes to Phoenix... However, K-Meleon does show a lot of promise. I was very happy to see pop-up blocking added to the version 7 release.

Another thing I'd love to see is tabbed browsing. I know I'm one of those people who can't live without it. smiling smiley

K-Meleon 7 is a great step forward and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the browser in the future!

xan...

Posted by: xan
Date: November 01, 2002 09:06AM

Sorry... You do have tabs in version 7!!

I didn't notice the "layers" toolbar. I just figured it was like a bookmark toolbar or something. My mistake. I should have looked at it more closely! It's very cool!!

xan...

Posted by: rj
Date: November 01, 2002 09:50AM

i have yet to try out phoenix, but i already know who wins. neither, not by any sane comparison at least. who cares if brwoser A is 2/1000ths of a second faster at identifiying 400 child nodes, really, who cares!? you could throw together a gecko client that blows away everything, the only problem is you couldnt contrl it.

for you and the other people who are "sick of waiting for KM", kindly go to your favorite browsers fansite and kiss their ass black n blue. we dont come to your board spamming k-meleon do we? my god, piss offf. what nerve youve got.

Posted by: Bill Mische
Date: November 01, 2002 11:19AM

OSNews is running a vote for the best gecko based browser. Phoenix is in the lead with Galeon 2nd. Given the background of the readership this isn't surprising.

However in the comments section there are some nice compliments for K-meleon, and in particular it's speed. For what it's worth here's my comment from the poll:

"Until recently I've just used Opera (paid for BTW). However in the last few months I've tried both Phoenix and the K-meleon betas.

I find Phoenix prettier but slower. It does have the advantage of being cross-platform. However I prefer the speed of K-meleon, the layers(aka tabbed browsing) and the fact that I can use my Opera hotlist. I therefore voted K-meleon.

I do feel it's a slightly artificial vote though since each of these browsers is aiming at a slightly different niche and there's room for all of them."

Posted by: Kidman
Date: November 01, 2002 02:14PM

Pop-up blocking was in K-Meleon already one year ago. Too bad some ppl have a problem with reading the preferences properly.

And Phoenix is no real slim browser. It's been bloated since its second release. ("Uh, they give us a 'slim' mozilla...what does it have..err..a custom sidebar, toolbar configurations, additional features...errr...slim!??!?"). There's still too much in crao in Phoenix I never needed and I am happy, that's not in K-Meleon. I hate tabs as well and I am happy, it came to K-Meleon ina plugin, so I don't have to install and use it at all. I wish Mozilla would be more modular like that.

Date: November 01, 2002 09:08PM

Actually I've yet to read anything which suggests that installing Phoenix is better than doing a custom install of Mozilla and installing just the browser component by itself.

Posted by: Blake
Date: November 01, 2002 10:07PM

Now you have: Phoenix is far and away better than doing a custom install of Mozilla. Aside from its massively cleaned up interface and new features, it is much, much faster than Mozilla, even if you do a browser-only instal

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.