Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Does kmeleon require any IE stuff?
Posted by: oldjoe
Date: March 23, 2002 09:54PM

I have win98 but gutted IE out with revenge of mozilla 2se.

It may have been just a coincidence but it seemed the Temporary
Internet Folders, History, & Cookie Folders in Windows which I thought
I had long since banished returned around the time I started using
Kmeleon. It could have been some other app like realplayer. Or maybe
even the WMP.

I started off using Netscape Bookmarks, but since I couldn't get them
to work I used the IE plugin.

Does Kmeleon rely on any part of IE to be installed? or just if you want
to use IE favourites?

TIA
joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does kmeleon require any IE stuff?
Posted by: Al.
Date: March 24, 2002 02:35AM

I too have used Revenge of Mozilla 2se, and K-Meleon works just fine under it. As far as the return of Temp Internet Files, History folders etc., I'd take a bet and say that Real Player is the culprit, as it caches images and stuff there.
To stop the return of these folders (especially if you don't want them), then I might suggest you install ProTAB (it's made for 98lite, however it works just fine with ROM II). It will place an applet in Control Panel which gives you more options and control over your "lite" version of Win98.
It can be found here: http://snoopy81.freeservers.com/index.htm
The zip file contains an *.inf file, which you just right-click and select "Install" to install it.

Posted by: ToX
Date: March 24, 2002 10:04PM

on my win98 i've deleted internet explorer with ieradicator, and kmeleon works great! smiling smiley

it just use my old ie favourites

Posted by: ThatDude
Date: April 06, 2002 07:08PM

Kmeleon don't require any IE,,And you can't get rid of IE temporary internet files,they are cleared but the contents are stored in DAT files which can only be deleted through DOS,,cookies,,too.Do a internet search pertaining to IE temporary internet files and you can get the whole run down regarding MS's sercets pertaining to temporary internet files.

Posted by: Al.
Date: April 07, 2002 03:14AM

Oh boy, I should resist, however as I am sure TheDude will check back to see if anyone replies to him:
The DAT files he mentioned can be removed, you just use a program like Spider, for example...
http://www.fsm.nl/ward/
And I might also note that the DAT file bug no longer affects IE5.5 or IE6.0, it only affects earlier versions (like 5.0). So TheDude, apart from the whinging and whining about how long it's taking for the new release of K-meleon, you still haven't added anything useful to these forums yet.
Cya round pal ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.