Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
opera like multiple browsing
Posted by: Martin
Date: December 30, 2001 07:47PM

opera like multiple browsing

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: opera like multiple browsing
Posted by: Myen
Date: January 03, 2002 05:52AM

This should go into Improvement Requests.
And, as it is, neither Jeff nor Brian will implement tabbed dialogs in the foreseeable future. I would, except I don't know how to... I tried smiling smiley

Posted by: sven
Date: January 04, 2002 03:06PM

For tabbed browsing you could try Scope. Its kind of frontend which can show webpages with either embedded Mozilla or IE engine. It has some functions currently not present in K-M but also has some lacking anc couple of irritating bugs as well but it gives nice tabbed interface and is as fast as K-M.

Since its K-M forum, I'm not posting link here winking smiley

Posted by: oxygenius
Date: January 18, 2002 05:48PM

yeah, but you could MAIL me that link.

tia, w0lf.

Posted by: mdew
Date: January 23, 2002 09:50AM

Tabbing like Galeon would rock smiling smiley

Posted by: crucial
Date: February 19, 2002 07:34AM

My main disagreement with tabbed viewing is that it wastes screen space.
The task bar is there anyway, now you want to add a new row of wasted screen space to access the multiple pages from? No matter which way i look at it I cant bring myself to like the idea. If it does get implemented, please make it optional, i prefer all the screens space i can get.

Date: February 20, 2002 06:58AM

6-7 separate windows waste even more screen space. Unless you actually work (work as something you do all day long as opposed to casual browsing) with 6 browser windows you proabably will not appreciate the idea of tabs.

Posted by: Stephan Stahl
Date: March 14, 2002 12:01PM

I think tabbed browing is just a nice way to make that crappy windows user interface more usable..
I used to love the tabbed browsing of mozilla, till i used multible desktops.
If you use multiple desktops then you do not need tabbed browsing. You just have a few windows on every desktop. So no space is wasted. Something like desktop twister will do the trick.
Maybe MS should make multiple desktops availible in XP instead of idiotic like grouping programs in the taskbar smiling smiley

Posted by: John
Date: March 25, 2002 06:09PM

Maybe MS should make multiple desktops availible in XP

They do... Power Toys for XP ...built right into the taskbar

Posted by: jimbo
Date: March 25, 2002 06:35PM

multiple desktops, tabbed windows, task bar: they are all different ways of doing
the same thing.
OK, sure there differences between them, but they all have this is common:
you still have to hit a few keys or make a few mouse clicks to change what you
are seeing on your screen.
I think the differences between them at least with respect to browsing are exaggerated and just amount to individual preference.
imho, I could be wrong.

Posted by: Andrew_G
Date: March 25, 2002 07:52PM

Tabbed Browsing etc.is like the" Picture in Picture" feature on my TV. I have it, but rarely use it . You are right Jimbo.

Posted by: Michael
Date: March 26, 2002 07:20AM

Usually I surf with windows explorer open, WSFTP open, Outlook express open, Arachnophilia open and other applications open and usually at least 5 browser windows. Tabbed interface means that i can easily switch between browser windows without trying to find the correct one on the task bar. Having all open instances tabbed in the main browser window is a godsend. Correct me if I'm wrong but it also means more efficient use of resources as the main browser window doesn't have to be created again and again for no reason. So if you are looking to create a small and efficient browser then tabbed windows is obviously the way to go.

I have linux installed too and multiple desktops really suck. That's one reason I don't use Linux.

Sure i guess if you only surf one window at a time (like TV), then tabbed interface is pointless, but how many people do that? I tried tabbed interface with Scope and loved it, give it a go. I'd use Scope except it's so buggy and development is at an end.

Michael

Date: March 26, 2002 03:07PM

The last time I checked the vast majority of people were using Browsers that does not support tabbed interface,IE etc.and, therefore, surf one Window at a time.

I have no problem with adding features in order to satisfy some users as long as it does not compromise the overall performance of the Browser.

Date: March 26, 2002 09:54PM

Hi Andrew,

The vast majority of people use IE because that's what's installed on their PC. A large percentage of these people will never look for another browser because they don't know how to install it, they are just plain scared. I've known people who didn't even know they had multiple winfows open at all, they used whatever was on top. The people that come to K-meleon are people with a lot more experience in using the internet, and they are unhappy with IE (and netscape). They are looking for something different. So basing development, on what the majority of people use, would be a mistake. The market niche that K-meleon is aimed at is those who are unhappy with IE, so you have to do something different - small and efficient is obviously a good start.

I understand most of the development team is dead set against tabbed windows - OK that's the way it goes. If they are open to suggestions, then there are a lot of requests in the forums for tabbed windows - maybe they need to run a poll thru the "announce list" and see how the numbers stack up.

One thing to remember is that "small and efficient" does not just apply to the kb size of the .exe file, but also to the actual performance on the PC.

Michael

Date: March 26, 2002 11:41PM

Hi Michael;
I do not wish to use this forum to bash IE or any other product,but since you mentioned it I will tell you that I am not using KM because I an unhappy with IE. In Fact I am Very happy with IE6 which I have been using for over a year with absolutely no problem,it is the only Browser that I cannot do without.I also have Opera 6.01 and recently KM but I allways have to revert to IE as the others cannot handle some of the tasks I require.The people that I associate with are mostly Computer savvy and some are in the Computer business as well and do not lack experience.

I am using KM because I like to try new software and KM appeared to be new and promising Browser .I am pleasantly surprised by it's looks and performance.

With regards to Tabbed Windows,maybe the development team know something that We don't.

I agree with you that size does not always matter.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 27, 2002 02:16AM

We have this discussion about tabs every couple of months so I need to make a couple of points.

The people who do almost all of the coding for K-Meleon don't have any interest in developing a tabbed version of K-Meleon. Whether this is for personal reasons or not isn't really the main issue. The main issue is that they have a limited amount of time to code for K-Meleon and that time is not going to be spent on coding for tabs. They have other features that they are working on and are coding for. In an ideal world, they could code for every feature that people want. But that's not the case and so this is one feature that they are not going to develop.

That having been said, there is nothing to preclude someone from writing the code for K-Meleon to do this. Now I know that coding in C++ is probably something that most of us are not going to do. But it's possible that someone out there will do that. If that code is ever written, there's nothing to stop it from being used with K-Meleon. Remember, this is open source so all of that is possible.

I know that a lot of people have asked for tabs. I also know that a lot of people don't want them. I just want to make sure that people don't think we are ignoring their requests. It's just a matter of priorities and who does the work.

Andrew

Date: March 27, 2002 03:29AM

Yes, well like you say it's up to the people who do the coding. I'm pretty happy with IE as well, just wish it did tabs. Anyway K-Meleon is not going in the direction I need, so I'll check out MultiZilla - Mozilla that's tabbed.

Cheers
Michael

Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 27, 2002 04:36AM

Michael,

Actually, Mozilla supports tabbed browsing already. I assume Multizilla is less bloated?

Andrew

Date: March 27, 2002 04:41AM

Mozilla is tabbed anyway nowadays, been so for at least 4-5 months now. Multizilla just adds a feature that's already present.

Posted by: Al.
Date: March 27, 2002 09:07PM

>Mozilla is tabbed anyway nowadays, been so for at least 4-5 months now. Multizilla >just adds a feature that's already present.

Yeah, but Multizilla is using an older version of Gecko (0.9.6), which explains it. Didn't the tabs come in with Mozilla 0.9.8 or thereabouts? Time for the Multizilla programmers to wake up and smell the coffee ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.