Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Embedding a media player .....
Posted by: Jason Key
Date: September 03, 2000 05:45PM

Guys,

I got some degree of disagreement before about this, as including a media player in kmeleon would be of some sort of bloat issue .. or as in it isn't a "Pure" development.

However, I don't see this as the issue, but the issue is to make this tool as usable as imaginable. I hate to point to the evil giant out there that is going to do the same thing now ...

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/reuters/REU20000831S0004

If there was a tool that was small, fast and would also support the multimedia that is commonly out there .. as far as development tools, what could be better? The Borg is doing it, not that this makes it right, but we can in many ways see the reason. Both for the distribution market and the developers market.

Options: ReplyQuote
RE: Embedding a media player .....
Posted by: FreaK
Date: September 05, 2000 08:39AM

I think the goal of K-Meleon is to make a fast small browser without all the news/mail/skins bloat. I think adding a media player to it would be insane..perhaps start a K-Media project ?

Date: September 05, 2000 11:24AM

That makes sense .. a separate project would be the best solution I guess.

Sadly, I am not a C++ programmer, or I would go after it myself ...

Posted by: scratch
Date: September 05, 2000 05:53PM

You guys do know about K-Jofol, right?

Date: September 07, 2000 11:55AM

Yes, I do, but if it could be tightly integrated or utilized to play media specifically from Kmeleon, then this would be the killer app, as for now, I am stuck using Media Player and Winamp. Don't get me wrong, love winamp, but hate Media Player, and hate Real too .. bloatware on windows.

If I had something that was tightly integrated into the browser and knew that at least audio and multimedia comes in one package, I would leave the others behind.

Mozilla still rocks .. but for size and speed potential, Kmeleon is so much better! Now if it just supported directly media in an OSS scenario on Window$ ....

Posted by: Iain
Date: September 12, 2000 05:02AM

You might want to have a look at the NiceMC plugin for WinAMP - http://www.nicemcmedia.com - that turns WinAMP into a bit of a Media Player replacement. Doesn't do Real formats yet, though.

Posted by: suppafly
Date: January 05, 2001 07:00PM

why not have a media player that works as a plugin for kmeleon or as stand alone..

also i dont think skinning would be a bad idea.. if it were added fairly early in the game say now.. then it wouldnt really add much bloat to the program.. the problem with skinning is when its added way late.. also the ability to skin would turn a lot of people on to the browser.. personally i would like transparent toolbars and such but im not sure how possible that is in windows.. but really having skinning as an option that could be turned on or off wouldnt bloat the program much and people anymore expect skinning almost.. thats why people use winamp to play cds instead of the built in cd player and such..

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.