Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Can we add MIME-types?
Posted by: gordon451
Date: September 16, 2011 05:59AM

Is there any way we can add MIME-types to KM? It would be really nifty (not to say "crufty") if we could tell KM to open the application/x-ms-excel in the free Excel Reader!

Gordon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can we add MIME-types?
Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 16, 2011 11:28AM

I think you can change. Use EDIT - PREFERENCES - BROWSING - FILE HANDLING - BY TYPE. Select the file extension and click on change action.

Date: September 17, 2011 12:31AM

Unfortunately, as far as I can see that's about all we can do. But that only removes one (almost certainly needed and essential) mimetype to give me a new one. sad smiley I think. :s I've never tried it.

I did take a Cap'n Cook through the various "mtype" and "mimeType" files, but that's going into hairy places... It would be better to have an "Add" button somewhere...

I also looked around briefly for plugins, but no luck. Having said that, I personally don't believe plugins are necessarily the only way to go. Opera does give an "Add" button, but I don't know if that delves into Presto or simply edits a config file.

Gordon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2011 12:33AM by gordon451.

Posted by: FAQ
Date: September 17, 2011 06:44AM

@gordon451

FileTypesMan

Description

FileTypesMan is an alternative to the 'File Types' tab in the 'Folder Options' of Windows. It displays the list of all file extensions and types registered on your computer. For each file type, the following information is displayed: Type Name, Description, MIME Type, Perceived Type, Flags, Browser Flags, and more.
FileTypesMan also allows you to easily edit the properties and flags of each file type, as well as it allows you to add, edit, and remove actions in a file type.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: September 17, 2011 06:55AM

@gordon451

By default, Km 1.6 and 1.7 have an empty mimetype.rdf file. There is no way to add something, as it's an old way which is probably to be abandonned.

But, if you copy a 1.54 mimetype file in Km profile folder, the entries already in are avalaible, and ought to work (not sure).

If you had used 1.5.x, you can try it, else I send here the one I used with 1.5.4.
You'll have then to remove entries which aren't ok for you, or modify it. Another solution is to use 1.5.4 to add your extensions and put it then in your last version profile folder.

Warning, the structure is a bit hard to understand. I have had problems there is a few years when I have worked on it.

PS: This version was made to be used under Linux, and a lot of entries aren't needed with Windows.
A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2011 07:14AM by JujuLand.

Attachments: mimeTypes.zip (2.7 KB)  
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 17, 2011 07:53AM

gordon451
give me a new one.

A MimeTypes editor for 1.6 that can add new items/MimeTypes is at

http://dhost.info/kmeleonskins/rvjmimeedit.7z
Unpack the K-Meleon extension and distribute the files where they belong. I have not tried but IMHO it should be able to edit alain's Linux MimeTypes.rdf file from 1.5.4.

The extension is the K-Meleon adaptation of Bob Janc's MIME Edit for Firefox 3.

kmeleonskins also hosts a list with many common MimeTypes

http://dhost.info/kmeleonskins/mimeType.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2011 08:12AM by guenter.

Date: September 17, 2011 08:28AM

Thanks all of youse.

@JujuLand - your 1.5.4 trick works perfectly!!! At least, so far. smiling smiley

I still have 1.5.4 as a backup, sort of, so create the Excel entries there, open the mimeTypes.rdf in PSPad -- Unix line endings, UTF-8 -- select and copy to mimeTypes.rdf in my 1.6.0 profile, same settings. grinning smiley

@guenter - I've downloaded rvjmimeedit.7z, and will suss it out.

Why do we need to discontinue the 1.5.4 method of adding mimetypes/internet content associations? It doesn't look broken :s

Gordon.

Date: September 17, 2011 09:01PM

gordon451

@guenter - I've downloaded rvjmimeedit.7z, and will suss it out.

Why do we need to discontinue the 1.5.4 method of adding mimetypes/internet content associations? It doesn't look broken :s

1.) Hope all works.

2.) 1.5.4 has two MimeTypes editors. An ancient one that was created & maintained by alain, kko and me. It edited & used mimetypes.rtf, was hard to use and could add new items.

And another, never editor by kko. It is in the PreferencesPanel, has a pre-definded list thus could not add new mimetypes but is easy to use.

kko and me realized that hardly anyone used the first. So we agreed in an old forum thread to discontinue adding it to K-Meleon by default. When 1.6beta came I realized that it also was broken beyond my ability to repair. disrupted pointed me to a fork based on the same original code which works for K-Meleon 1.6. So I merged the codes for the few that want to use the old editor and uploaded it to my K-Meleon site.

Read more in rvjmimeedit.7z ./chrome/rvjmimeedit.txt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2011 09:16PM by guenter.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: September 17, 2011 09:36PM

Hi guenter,

guenter
2.) 1.5.4 has two MimeTypes editors. An ancient one that was created & maintained by alain, kko and me. It edited & used mimetypes.rtf, was hard to use and could add new items.

It's not exact, I was not the creator (I think it was MonkeySage), I just remove some bugs and maintained it with kko and you.

I don't think the old version was hard to use, just the files are hard to read (for a human)

I also think it would be nice to have an add button.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: September 17, 2011 11:19PM

JujuLand
guenter

It's not exact, I was not the creator (I think it was MonkeySage), I just remove some bugs and maintained it with kko and you.

I don't think the old version was hard to use, just the files are hard to read (for a human)

I also think it would be nice to have an add button.

Hi alain,

1.) my statement is IMHO absolutely exact. tongue sticking out smiley

MonkeySage created/coded 0.1 and 02. I am dead sure. smiling smiley Thx to him.

So 0.3 "was created & maintained by alain, kko and me." :O
Since it was recoded = created & later maintained by You, kko & me.

Source: rvjmimeedit.txt, line 38 to 42 & \chrome\embed.jar\mtypes\content\mtypes\contents.rdf line 9. grinning smiley

& You and kko definitely fixed the bugs the original 0.3 has had. Thx go to You & kko. smiling smiley

2.) Feel free to add the button that You want or an installer. :drool:

Greetings to You & Beatrice by Maria & me

p.s Can You "svp" check the English download links at Your extension page?

I prefer Your fire and forget installers. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 12:04AM by guenter.

Date: September 18, 2011 01:35AM

Hi guenter -
guenter
It edited & used mimetypes.rtf, was hard to use and could add new items.
I'm not surprised few people used it. Most don't need to as most times the default set is sufficient, and they probably don't really know what a mime-type is. And of course, if you don't know what a mime-type is, how are you going to use the editor?

(To be honest, I don't think KM actually needs a built-in mime editor. :O Not many people need it, and when they do it is better to download an extension -- like rvjmimeedit! It has to do with "The Browser, the whole Browser and nothing but the Browser", which KM fulfils admirably.)

@JujuLand - the structure is a bit scary, but once I saw the real thing in 1.5.4 it became clear: like SGML with opening and closing tags, elements and attributes. I don't yet grasp the sordid details entirely -- can't be bothered grinning smiley -- but the schema is now clear!

Gordon.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 25, 2012 09:11PM

guenter,
is your rvjmimeedit.7z available somewhere now? The dhost link above is dead...

Date: December 03, 2012 08:37PM

rodocop
guenter,
is your rvjmimeedit.7z available somewhere now? The dhost link above is dead...

Sorry for my fault.

The link works again. I deleted the file temporarily when I needed the space and then forgot to upload it again later.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 04, 2012 09:29AM

Thank you! I've got it now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 09:29AM by rodocop.

Posted by: Sam Us Lim
Date: February 23, 2015 04:49PM

want to add mime-types rdt to mime Types rdt.old

Posted by: Sam Us Lim
Date: February 23, 2015 04:51PM

add: mime types rdt to mime types rdt.old

Date: February 23, 2015 05:02PM

Sam Us Lim
add: mime types rdt to mime types rdt.old

File name is: mimeTypes.rdf

Link to addon that writes it for 74: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,131158

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.