Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
omni unzipping
Posted by: gordon451
Date: October 26, 2014 03:23AM

siria, [url=http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/posting.php?8,reply,130423
K-Meleon 74 Release last post[/url]]
Had tried the latest. "Archive is not readable. Would you like to try a password?"

But perhaps we should better split those omni-unzip-postings into a separate thread...

OK. I assume you're still using W98. The only thing I can think of is either:

1. omni has not been (re)compressed properly, maybe UTF-8/Unicode vs ANSI, or
  2. ¡W98 is not UTF-8/Unicode aware?

I've just downloaded PeaZip 5.5.0x64, it opened omni.ja like a sardine-can.

Gordon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: omni unzipping
Posted by: siria
Date: October 26, 2014 08:01AM

Usually it can do Unicode, that was an official MS ServicePack some months after 98se came out.
But since those tools all seem to work for you, I'm assuming they probably will also work on my offline-Vista. So for the moment, just for some occasional reading access, the extraced info-zip files will hopefully be enough.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 26, 2014 08:39AM

gordon451
OK. I assume you're still using W98. The only thing I can think of is either:

1. omni has not been (re)compressed properly, maybe UTF-8/Unicode vs ANSI, or
  2. ¡W98 is not UTF-8/Unicode aware?

I've just downloaded PeaZip 5.5.0x64, it opened omni.ja like a sardine-can.

You assume right 98 is siria's favorite. Starts fast, robust..., but not supported by mdern MS compilers, so only a limited number of projects that use old compilers can support 98.

The decompress files are ok. But only Mozilla tools (re)compress to a jar type that has the content info at the beginning not at the end of an archive.

It has nothing to do with UTF8, which is a format for files containing text or XUL, JS etc., thus files that must carry/contain letters that are not ASCII or ANSI, or must work together with files that are not ASCII or ANSI. These must be saved by the text/program editor as UTF8. kmm, kml, all code files and language files in chrome plus configurating *.js files for the km project are UTF8.

98 is not aware of UTF8 by default. 98 can read unicode when unicows.dll or similar is present and the program supports these.
wikipedia
By adding the UNICOWS.LIB to the link command-line before KERNEL32.LIB, ADVAPI32.LIB, or any other supported Win32 system link library, the linker will resolve referenced symbols with the one provided by UNICOWS.LIB instead.

The MS UTF8 for WIN95-98 project, called Godot (Waiting for Goddot), fruited in summer 2001, well after the peek of 98 usage.

siria
Peazip too: Cannot open as archive

info-zip: Yeah funny, no one seems to know it :cool:
Have already tried 2-3 versions, but same result with all. I do suspect the extracted files might be correct despite the error, but when I'll really need it for a serious task some day I'd probably try the vista version.

Complaint/ERROR MESSAGE does not matter. Only that it gets extracted counts.

The complaint is usually files found after end of archive. Reason different location of content tables. See above.

Recompressed files did sometimes not work for some time - but this problem is solved now AFAik. But the files are loaded less fast by K-Meleon/FF etc.

You may need Vista for the Mozilla tool chain "mozilla-build".
But info-zip/FUNZIP which is the part that You may need to compress will run on 98.

Readme.nt
UnZip 5.52 distribution archive for Win9x/NT/2K/XP/2K3

snip...

The program executables were compiled with MS Visual C++ 6.0 SP6 (MSC v12.00),
using the win32/Makefile as supplied in the UnZip 5.52 source distribution
(with support for ASM_CRC enabled). Additionally, the sfx stubs have been
compressed by the free exe packer UPX 1.25.

The alternative unzipsfx-gcc.exe and SFXWiz32-gcc.exe stubs were compiled
by gcc 3.2 using the mingw32 environment. These stubs are significantly
smaller, but require the presence of the "msvcrt.dll" C runtime DLL.
Normally, this should not be a problem, since this dll is supplied as part
of the operating system core for Win2k/XP/2K3 and Windows 98/Me. Older Windows
systems (Win95/NT4) support this runtime DLL when Internet Explorer 4.0 (or
newer) is installed. The dll is not supplied in a Win32s environment, but
this should be a minor problem. (For the text-mode stub this is not a
problem at all; Win32s cannot be used to run text-mode applications, anyway.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 11:43AM by guenter.

Date: October 26, 2014 12:42PM

guenter
Recompressed files did sometimes not work for some time - but this problem is solved now AFAik.

Ah yes, Re-Zipping seems to be even more complicated than just unzip! Incredible how complicated Mozilla makes things now.
http://inpursuitoflaziness.blogspot.de/2014/01/editing-files-from-omnija-in-firefox-20.html

Date: October 27, 2014 11:01AM

The original info he draws on is here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/About_omni.ja_(formerly_omni.jar)

Info zip link from dev mozilla org: ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/win32/unz552dn.zip

Thx for drawing attention to the needed command line for infozip:

zip -qr9XD omni.ja *

Anyway 7z repacked files by now work. I only wonder whether 7z also supports the params to pack the archive ready for fast straction by the GRE.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 27, 2014 11:54AM

I am using Win7 (32 bit) and I have found that the operating system can natively extract from the omni.ja file in KM 74 g31. Here is the method that I used.
Create a work space (folder) and copy the omni.ja file there.
Rename the file from omni.ja to omni.zip.
Double click on omni.zip.  The entire directory tree of the file opens.
Select the entire directory tree (all the files and folders).
Copy the selected files and folders.
Navigate one level higher to the work area folder where omni.zip is located.
Paste the files.  There are 3000 files.

I do not know if this works with older operating systems.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 27, 2014 04:06PM

And once again (only to all methods be collected in one place) I recommend use TotalCommander with packer plugins for 7z.

Here I can easily navigate through omni.ja (as well as jar, xpi and other packed files), make changes - copy and delete files.

Packed files in TC are being opened by Ctrl+PgDown hotkey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2014 04:07PM by rodocop.

Date: October 28, 2014 08:09AM

JamesD

I do not know if this works with older operating systems.

This works in Windows 7+ but not in XP or lower. I do not know about Vista.

Since siria work on Vista and 98 machines my guess is Vista cannot do it either.

Her problem is that 7z older than IMHO 9.26 cannot open it under 98.

Newer 7z do not work on her 98 machine. And that is her favorite.

<rant>No wonder a XP or Vista machine under 98 must go like a formula 1 Ferrary.

Windows got bigger and slower on every version that I used personaly for the past 25 years. But for significantly faster hardware current Windows' would be so slow as to be unusable by now.

Maybe this got better with Win 8 - but I do not see any need to upgrade.

I mainly use a Vista machine with an nlite prepared XP install and that was still fast after all those years when I compared its compile times for a Firefox with a brand new Win 7 machine a few years ago. </rant>

rodopcop: You can do the same under 7z's graphic manager. But siria's problem is 98. And that the 7z project moved to a newer MS compiler that doesn't support 98.

And I doubt that Your commander can pack with the content table at the beginning of the archive. Infozip can do this Mozila taught stunt that lets Firefox start faster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 09:20AM by guenter.

Date: October 28, 2014 09:28AM

Actually I do assume it will work under Vista, but haven't tried yet because of no urgent need currently.
7z does run fine on 98se up to version 9.30, only 9.34 not anymore.
But somehow the same tools and versions that work for others don't seem to work on my old main machine, so perhaps those tools may use some native windows unzip functions in background instead of only the 7z.dll, no idea. Since TC also comes with a 7z.dll, this will certainly not work either here.

But no major prob, since info-zip does extract on 98 machines, despite those ominous errors afterwards, so that's enough for just occasionally looking up something. Since KM74 does not run on this machine anyway, there's no real need for omni.ja either, just curiosity. If some day I'll really need it, I count that crappy Vista box will be able to work with it properly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 09:30AM by siria.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 29, 2014 02:38AM

guenter
And I doubt that Your commander can pack with the content table at the beginning of the archive. Infozip can do this Mozila taught stunt that lets Firefox start faster.

If 7zip can - then Commander can too as it just uses 7z-engine. But I don't know whether 7zip really can.
May be I need to repack omni.ja with Infozip after all changes?

What do you think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 02:38AM by rodocop.

Posted by: gordon451
Date: October 29, 2014 03:18AM

All of omni.ja does not seem to be compressed:
PK·····é`HD···············chrome/PK
·······!<ˆY.H···H······chrome.manifestmanifest chrome/chrome.manifest
manifest components/components.manifest
PK
·······!<¿ÊÄœ·······chrome/chrome.manifestlocale global-platform en-US en-US/locale/en-US/global-platform/
locale mozapps en-US en-US/locale/en-US/mozapps/
locale passwordmgr en-US en-US/locale/en-US/passwordmgr/
locale global-region en-US en-US/locale/en-US/global-region/
locale weave en-US en-US/locale/en-US/
locale alerts en-US en-US/locale/en-US/alerts/
locale necko en-US en-US/locale/en-US/necko/
locale pippki en-US en-US/locale/en-US/pippki/
locale cookie en-US en-US/locale/en-US/cookie/
locale pipnss en-US en-US/locale/en-US/pipnss/
locale autoconfig en-US en-US/locale/en-US/autoconfig/
locale global en-US en-US/locale/en-US/global/
locale places en-US en-US/locale/en-US/places/
content marionette marionette/content/
content specialpowers marionette/content/
content mozapps toolkit/content/mozapps/
content global-platform toolkit/content/global-platform/ platform
skin global classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/global/ os=WINNT osversion<6
content satchel toolkit/content/satchel/
content global-region toolkit/content/global-region/
content global toolkit/content/global/ contentaccessible=yes
skin mozapps classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/aero/mozapps/ os=WINNT osversion>=6
skin mozapps classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/mozapps/ os!=WINNT
content passwordmgr toolkit/content/passwordmgr/
skin mozapps classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/mozapps/ os=WINNT osversion<6
skin global classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/aero/global/ os=WINNT osversion>=6
content xbl-marquee toolkit/content/xbl-marquee/
content cookie toolkit/content/cookie/
skin global classic/1.0 toolkit/skin/classic/global/ os!=WINNT
content recording recording/content/
content pippki pippki/content/pippki/
resource specialpowers marionette/modules/
override chrome://global/content/nsTransferable.js chrome://global/content/nsDragAndDrop.js
resource gre-resources toolkit/res/
PK·····ç`HD············
···chrome/en-US/PK·····ç`HD···············chrome/en-US/locale/PK·····ç`HD···············chrome/en-US/locale/en-US/PK·····ç`HD············!···chrome/en-US/locale/en-US/alerts/PK
·······!<û^X····*···chrome/en-US/locale/en-US/alerts/alert.dtd<!-- This Source Code Form is subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
   - License, v. 2.0. If a copy of the MPL was not distributed with this
   - file, You can obtain one at http://mozilla.org/MPL/2.0/. -->

<!ENTITY     closeAlert.tooltip          "Close this notification">
From C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon\omni.ja, opened in EditPad Classic.

Is this the way it's meant to be? And would the compressed bits be done with the Mozilla tool?

Gordon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 03:19AM by gordon451.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 29, 2014 02:16PM

gordon451
From C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon\omni.ja, opened in EditPad Classic.

Is this the way it's meant to be? And would the compressed bits be done with the Mozilla tool?

Gordon.

Yes, the PK header is telling you is a zip compressed file, but it's true that the file structure is at the beginning instead at the end, as guenter already said. In a "normal" zip the file structure is at the end of the file.

What is getting clear is that Info-Zip is just a suggested tool to open it, but, in fact, it doesn't seem compressed with it but with a custom tool by mozilla that place the headers at the beginning. And, to be fair, even if this could improve the performance I don't bet anything on it.

The first thing I do to save disk space is to decompress and recompress as normal zip (as the file is compressed originally with low rate) and I hadn't any problem yet. Not to mention that you forgot this #### about how you could open a single zip file, a custom zip file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 02:17PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 29, 2014 07:35PM

Whoa you're right - as a normal zip file it gets a tiny 1/4 of the ja-size!!

Just wonder how much time that quirky format may really save. Remembering that either MS (no security zones in statusbar) or Mozilla (no CAPS system) removed some crucial security function telling that it would save a whopping 0.05 sec at each page load!
Or how much difference would be with a smaller compressed omni-file?

Anyway, to figure out what format a zip-file has, one can open it in an editor.
The files starting with "PK" at the very beginning are the traditional format which every tool can open.
The files beginning with "nul nul nul nul PK" have the quirky new Mozilla format.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 29, 2014 08:25PM

There may be a perceptible difference in startup time using the regular 7-zip made omni.ja file with normal compression. It is very hard for me to tell. I would need a program which could measure the time to be sure.

There is only a little savings in space. The original omni.ja for KM 7431 is 1,200 KB and the "normal" is 1,105 KB.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 29, 2014 08:58PM

Check the root\omni.ja... instead the root\browser\omni.ja in 74gre24

From over 20MB to about 7MB...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.