Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Question About All These Newer K-Meleon Versions
Posted by: callahan
Date: August 27, 2014 12:07PM

OK ... I am starting to get confused with all these "newer" versions of K-Meleon. I have one simple question ... several of you ... who were helping me over the last two weeks with KM v1.8 ... to get some things changed and fixed, know that I am using both KM v1.6 and now KM v1.8.

I see today that there is new sticky added with a KM version 30 + 1 ... I am a little familiar with KM v74 by Dorian. Today under "Development" - K-Meleon 74+1 is the new sticky ... is that connected with Dorian also or a completely new KM 74 version? I also never heard of K-Meleon30+1 (Gecko 30) till today.

I am using Windows XP SP3 and I am wondering as these newer KM versions emerge and develope, is it still the plan that these newer KM versions will work on an Windows XP setup or are these newer versions being tailored for Windows 7 and 8 ... so maybe XP is now "old" ... time to move on.

I will be staying with Windows XP and I know that KM v1.6 and KM v1.8 work OK with my setup as it is now.

I suppose if a newer KM browser is being made for today (2014) then Windows XP might start to be phased out in time ... so is this now going on with the newer KM browsers or are the developers still planning to bring XP along for the future.

I know Windows 98SE has sort of dropped off and been passed by with the newer versions.

thanks ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 04:00PM by callahan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question About All These Newer K-Meleon Versions
Posted by: siria
Date: August 27, 2014 02:42PM

The "official" versions are always the ones by Dorian, and in the discussion threads it was said somewhere that systems older than XP SP3 might have a prob. So I guess you're definitely on the safe side with all modern versions smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 27, 2014 02:51PM

Dorian's 74 is the official dev's version who develops, tests and fixes the VC 10 and new GRE ESR 24 adapation of all (core) components (exe, kplugins...) and slowly adds new things supplied by other people. His version is going to be release.

The other versions are ongoing work by contributors. That also needs testing!
If things usable for all are the result? They will be IMHO offerd by their authors to be contributed/included to Dorian's version. That is how it was done in the past.

adodupan's 1.8 is a test version of 74 that works on core but IMHO mainly has changes in XUL/Chrome -> Prefernces Panel. You will notice that he asked in General for details about what chrome pref parts do normally when they function. Its both: about broken things and new things.

naruman's two 74 versions are test beds with two different GRE.
Like official with ESR24 but also with GRE30.

They are both show pieces and test beds for new XUL development and IMHO whether it maybe can be done GRE version independent.

The thread I made sticky yesterday is currently used to give users a chance to see and to test ongoing work with the Firefox/Seamonkey xpi installer component.

A pic from that thread shows an xpi installer asking to be added to K-Meleon. :cool:

His versions also contain finished enhancements in their sub-folder extensions. These may come in a release in/or after 74 or become well tested K-Meleon Extensions. No idea which of the two.

It has already adblockplus, a cacheviewer, GopherProtocol support, addneditcookies, exexcept and a extended policy manager by default.
Maybe have a look.

BTW. This is the second time that I try to answer this question. I make it sticky if no one objects.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 03:12PM by guenter.

Attachments: Installer window.jpg (84.1 KB)  
Posted by: callahan
Date: August 27, 2014 03:58PM

OK ... siria, I understand now to watch Dorian's 74 version as it developes, I sort of knew his version was the main one to keep up with, just wasn't 100% sure about some of the other versions, if they were "offshoots" or connected with Dorian.

Thanks guenter for going into more detail about the different versions. I never saw the "sticky" on adodupan's KM 1.8 version till two weeks ago and decided to give it a try. I like it with my XP setup.

I don't remember asking about this before ... maybe I did in another thread or it was probably someone else ... not sure ... the "sticky" is probably a good idea for new people.

Thanks again ... just to add, I tried Dorian's 74 version about three weeks before I discovered adodupan's KM v1.8 ... I am a little familiar with it and it seemed OK, I was going to wait for a newer update and then KM v1.8 came along.

thanks all ...

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 27, 2014 06:54PM

callahan

I don't remember asking about this before ... maybe I did in another thread or it was probably someone else ... not sure ... the "sticky" is probably a good idea for new people.

The other answer got drowned somewhere. I did not say it was You that asked.

When You asked I knew it can become a FAQ so I took action as moderator.

And just in case I deducted the wrong impression: the authors of the versions should correct or improve my post.

p.s. I just realized that we will have anniversary soon? Dorian issued his first build, a static (GRE's dll and k-meleon.exe linked into one file) K-Meleon in 2004. If I recall it properly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2014 08:18AM by guenter.

Posted by: dugbugoffice
Date: August 30, 2014 10:51PM

I am still running WIM ME!
It is a pain to get up to
todays standard but it is worth it.
http://www.angelfire.com/bug/dugbuglas2/OLDPC.html

But I can't use the latest K-Meleon as it does not work on win ME!
Win XP is not old, I would delete ".NET" and "Microsoft Java"
sort of like I did for my Win ME!

Anyway... I am planing to make a new "KMFILES" download, kit
for the latest K-Meleon types down the road.

I fried my brain trying to make Noscript work on KM-1.7 even
if I got it working it would only get a 14 on a security test.
My K-Meleon 1.6NS db gets a 13. And that is like the new K-Meleon.
with the "layout.css.visited_links_enabled" set to false!
So I am moving to the new K-Meleon 1.6 and 1.7 is too old!

I Have a Firefox 3.6+ profile replacement, but that is old also!
http://www.angelfire.com/bug/dugbuglas2/Download.html

The new KMFILES will be set like the old KMFILES but the cache
and small settings will be changed.

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/dugbuglas2/Browser_test.html

Posted by: dugbugoffice
Date: August 31, 2014 07:02PM

I have a new KMFILES kit for the newer K-Meleons now.

I have a new KMFILES made for the
K-Meleon 74 RC+ Release Candidate types.
And the old KMFILES is still running.
The difference is in some settings that are not
runable on the newer K-Meleon Cache, skins etc.

Info on how to put in the files is in the KMFILE download.

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/dugbuglas2/Download.html

To place these files in K-meleon go to:
"Edit" then "Configuration" then "User-Defined Macros" & place the files in there.
This will not work in the new K-Meleon being that file is not there.

If you can not find your profile in Vista etc you could instal K-Meleon again
under another name and before you start it make a file called "Macros" in the
K-Meleon program file "Browser, defaults , profile" then last the "macros" file.
Then put the KMFILES in there.
And start K-Meleon this will place the KMFILES in your profile when you start.

Place the files in order, as in starting with the "1-Speed" setting, then the "2-Cache" settings, etc.
1,2,3, etc... This will make it easy putting the settings in order.

You will need to place the Macros in each profile you have.
Skins go in the skins folder.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.