Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
"Save As" problem: kmeleon.download.useSaveDir
Posted by: siria
Date: October 15, 2010 08:36PM

There is a pref in about:config, created by default kmeleon.js:
kmeleon.download.useSaveDir (false)

I don't manage to find that anywhere in the preferences GUI, anyone know more why?
The problem is, if this is set to "true" somehow accidentally (perhaps by a macro error, or by a user confusing this with the option in the pref tabs), the "Save As..." command doesn't "seem" to work anymore. It seems completely dead, like a bug.
In reality it does something, but not noticeable at all: It just saves the current page or link in the background to the last used download directory. The problem is, if that happens somehow, a user can try all options in the pref tabs for "File Handling", but nothing switches this back, he'll probably keep thinking the command is broken, and chances are extremely low that he'll find the door out without creating a brand new profile.

So what's the history of this pref, why was it removed from the menus/prefs GUI, or was it even there at all? Anyone remember?

Actually I'm using that thing in one of my never-finished macros myself, and it's handy as long is the macro isn't interrupted and the resetting doesn't fail :cool:
But seeing the dangers of an accidental user toggle in about:config, I wonder if this pref is really necessary in the default prefs, if it couldn't be removed, or otherwise if it couldn't be added in the prefs tabs, or get a separate entry in the menus...? A menu entry to "Save to last used folder" and another for "Save As...", and the second one modified to *always* pop up the save dialog?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Save As" problem: kmeleon.download.useSaveDir
Posted by: desga2
Date: October 16, 2010 01:28PM

This isn't a problem, it's a feature! tongue sticking out smiley

This pref come from update 1.5.x, in old version 1.0.x and 1.1.x you can setting the "Download folder" (to downloaded files) and "Save Folder" (to "Save As..." files).
When update to 1.5.x old Preference dialogs were disabled and all preferences were converted to new chrome Preferences panels in XUL (old "Advanced Preferences").

This pref was created to convert the old preference "Save Folder" to new XUL preference panels, but finally someone think that this isn't very useful because users normally only setting the download folder and not "Save As..." folder and this option could confuse to the user that not understand the difference between download and save folders.

This is the reason because this option isn't included in "File Handling" preference panel.

Currently you have in this pref branch: kmeleon.download.
- For download:
kmeleon.download.useDownloadDir <boolean>
kmeleon.download.dir <folder_path_string>
- For "Save As...":
kmeleon.download.useSaveDir <boolean>
kmeleon.download.saveDir <folder_path_string>

You can found references to this pref in files:
K-Meleon\default\pref\kmeleon.js
and in his source code; SaveAsHandler.cpp

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 01:34PM by desga2.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 16, 2010 10:27PM

@ desga2

Thanks for the very good and concise explanation.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 19, 2010 07:11PM

Thanks for explaining, desga smiling smiley
So it's a feature, not a bug, u hu... :cool: grinning smiley

So I'm planning to change those menu entries myself with a little macro, as suggested above - when I get around, not right now yet... ;-)
A menu entry "Save to last used folder" that has a checkmark if useSaveFolder is true, and a modified entry "Save as...", that first checks if useSaveFolder is true, and if yes resets it to false before calling the normal Save-Command :cool:

Date: October 23, 2010 03:04PM

I added this preferences to Preference panel for K-Meleon 1.6 Beta.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 25, 2010 04:38PM

desga2

Is this update available for download yet?

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: October 25, 2010 11:32PM

JamesD
desga2

nope. not yet. maybe until the official KM 1.6 beta comes out but who knows when will the first beta of KM 1.6 be released.

Date: October 26, 2010 07:55PM

4td8s
JamesD
desga2

nope. not yet. maybe until the official KM 1.6 beta comes out but who knows when will the first beta of KM 1.6 be released.

Very soon, I hope => http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?8,111598

K-Meleon in Spanish

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.