Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
7Zip can create or update the omni.ja in browser foder.
Posted by: Goerge Hall
Date: August 12, 2014 04:08PM

7 zip can be used to update or modify the browser omni.ja file.

Two make rgw the omni.ja with 7zip you have to do the following.

1. Extract omni.ja to a folder called a called omni.ja
2. update or fix files in the omni folder.
3 I starte thee 7z program
4. I selected all the files and folders in the omni folder and not the omni folder itself.
5 Next, I selected zip as the "Archive format"
6. Then, I selected store as the "Compression level".
(pS 7zip formt can also store files and folder. However, flash videos experience some lag issues and seem to load more slowly.)
7. You rename the the create zip folder to on omni.ja and add to the browser folder

Sometimes tje startupCache folder created in the profile folder when I made chages to the K-Meleon 74RC.

It is good I idea to delete startupCache folder if you already have a prfile for the K-Meleon 74, Deleting startupCache folder is not nexessary if you are creating a new profile.

I read an articles where startupCache folder caused problems with custome toolbars when the Adblock Plus Addon it is installed in Firefox. Theat article is located here https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21542

Also when I added the the Adblock Addon to the extensions folder my profile
in K-Mleleon 74RC. View Toolbars was mssing some of the selectable Toolbars.

Which was fixed when I deleted the startupCache folder from my profile and restarted K-Meleon 74RC.

Which proves that startupCache folder can cause problems with changes to the with all versiions of the K-Meleon 74 Browser when some changes are made.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7Zip can create or update the omni.ja in browser foder.
Posted by: rodocop
Date: August 19, 2014 12:40AM

ja- and jar-files are simply renamed zip-archives so you can manage them by any zip-compatible archiver.

I use Total Commander where I can treat archives almost like directories, so any editing of jars or omni.ja becomes very easy and convenient.

Posted by: George Hall
Date: August 19, 2014 05:49PM

rodocop
ja- and jar-files are simply renamed zip-archives so you can manage them by any zip-compatible archiver.

I use Total Commander where I can treat archives almost like directories, so any editing of jars or omni.ja becomes very easy and convenient.

Replacing Files in a comprress ZIP folder can corruot the archive unless you delete the file from the archive first. That has happeded to when I rpplaced the fiels. Then when I delted the file forst it di not corrupt the archvoe when I copied the mew file to the archive.

I do not know if that happens with Total Commander.

Extracting and then replacing thed file then cresting solid archive chosing to store as zip file instead of compressing prevents corrupting the archive. Because you create new archive which has no chance of corrupting an archive.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: August 21, 2014 02:15PM

No any problems with TC.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 22, 2014 07:51PM

rodocop

This is right far normal jar files.

But wrong for omni.ja. It is the zip/jar format optimized for fast read ahead. Info about what is in the archive is at the beginning not at the end - if I remember right. Some info about it - and past problems.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/About_omni.ja_(formerly_omni.jar)

The info on the page is outdated since version 9.32 or so of 7z can read it.

But with some error messages. Because it is not in the standart zip format.

And repacking does not break it either. It is only less optimzed for read ahead.

That TC reads and packs it - is usefull info and increases options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 07:57PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.