Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Tab Candy and Gecko
Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 26, 2010 02:52PM

Tab Candy, any opinions on its merits?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20011531-248.html

From Cnet:

Mozilla's head of user experience for its Labs unit, Aza Raskin, on Friday unveiled a new project called "Tab Candy" that promises to dramatically change the way users manage open browser tabs.

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tab Candy and Gecko
Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 26, 2010 05:53PM

A certain segment of users will be requesting this right away. For other, like me, who think 3 tabs is very busy it would be a waste of time and resources.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 26, 2010 09:49PM

separate and organize open tabs into groups. When opened, these groups act like their own instance of the browser. So, say you had grouped together 5 of 50 open tabs, then opened that group through Tab Candy; you'd only see those 5 in your browser, and not the other 45.

Hmm.... seriously, I'm one of those who often have 40+ tabs open *blush*, but if it gets too crowded I just open a new window for a new branch of topics, so sometimes have 3-4 of such "grouped" windows. For those few there is always enough space in my 1024 taskbar, and if I want to move a tab to one of the other windows, it's a snap with one of my little minimacros, even though that means reloading, but no prob thanx to a fast connection. Personally I can live very well with that, no big appeal for that candy stuff there.

Perhaps rather that:

many more features are coming, including search, clusters that can be set as a private browsing session, and public and private sharing of tab groups

Hmm... no, not really. For a private browing session of a single window one can open a new KM instance with a special profile. Sharing of tab groups, never felt a need for... Putting a few links together to give to someone else is rather easy...

Oh well, I suppose that candy thing makes everything a little easier, perhaps it may become one of those things that one never knew one missed it until it was there. But so far it doesn't feel overly "dramatic" to me yet tongue sticking out smiley

Perhaps that "search" may be the most interesting: Searching in all tabs of a window....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 09:52PM by siria.

Date: August 10, 2010 04:33AM

siria

separate and organize open tabs into groups. When opened, these groups act like their own instance of the browser. So, say you had grouped together 5 of 50 open tabs, then opened that group through Tab Candy; you'd only see those 5 in your browser, and not the other 45.

Hmm.... seriously, I'm one of those who often have 40+ tabs open *blush*, but if it gets too crowded I just open a new window for a new branch of topics, so sometimes have 3-4 of such "grouped" windows. For those few there is always enough space in my 1024 taskbar, and if I want to move a tab to one of the other windows, it's a snap with one of my little minimacros, even though that means reloading, but no prob thanx to a fast connection. Personally I can live very well with that, no big appeal for that candy stuff there.

Perhaps rather that:

many more features are coming, including search, clusters that can be set as a private browsing session, and public and private sharing of tab groups

Hmm... no, not really. For a private browing session of a single window one can open a new KM instance with a special profile. Sharing of tab groups, never felt a need for... Putting a few links together to give to someone else is rather easy...

Oh well, I suppose that candy thing makes everything a little easier, perhaps it may become one of those things that one never knew one missed it until it was there. But so far it doesn't feel overly "dramatic" to me yet tongue sticking out smiley

Perhaps that "search" may be the most interesting: Searching in all tabs of a window....

siria,

I am most definitely old school on browsers. I loved Phoenix and the first FireFox, when it was basic, fast and with addons to do the other stuff.

This thread talks about Tab Candy and tangentially about how Firefox's "mission statement" has changed.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1941335&sid=0525fa614ed804e590bb865e44dd1da2&start=15

Cru_N_cher wrote:

Hmm yes but the interface is more designed as how our Brain works smiling smiley it's rather the first time people gonna see jeff raskins (azas father) idea of how a better usable ZUI can work smiling smiley
it's a Milestone for a Browser to integrate this idea of managing your Web Browsing imho and it's yet not fully utilized there is much much more that can be done to make Web Browsing more efficient in content centric ways with it, that we aren't yet see in Tab Candy and mostly gonna see with a lot of Addons especially targeting Tab Candy in the future smiling smiley
Im testing it extensively in combination with Tree Style tabs currently and im amazed how fast i can manage my Web Browsing now with the Groups idea it's just great and something very unique, it's clear that not everyone @ first understands it's full potential and says ahh just a tab switcher but it's much more. It's complexity of course also makes it hard to implement right (all the memory management especially , interface to addons and performance optimizations inside chrome (js)) tongue sticking out smiley

wojtekmaj wrote:

I agree this might be useful, but since Mozilla's idea for web browser was to keep it basic and customizable with add-ons, I believe Tab Candy should be an add-on.

Omega X wrote:

Mozilla's idea for a web browser changed years ago.

The idea now is for Firefox to become an "information broker" while staying highly customizable. Which pretty much means functionality for productivity while being interconnected to everything you're interested in.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2010 04:40AM by ndebord.

Posted by: jmillar
Date: September 17, 2010 09:45PM

My first reaction was negative. No more bloat! But the idea has its merits. Why not implement it in a modular with add-ons? I think that Firefox is trying to 'out-bling' the other browsers. It's a war out there. ;-)

Keep K-Meleon simple. It's got great functionality. (And I also open up to 40 tabs).

Date: September 17, 2010 11:16PM

jmillar,

I go back to when there were no browers and Cello was my first!

I remember the philosophy behind Phoenix, aka Firebird, aka FireFox and it was modular and extensions for everything else. They've gone a long ways from that and this SQLite thingee is one big mishmash of cookies, histories, passwords, etc., and it it not what I want. Plus I'm not a big fan of persona themes.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.