Development :  K-Meleon Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: K-Meleon 1.8.build 24
Posted by: adodupan
Date: June 02, 2014 10:11AM

Jennifer
I can't figure out how to change the user agent to exactly what I want. I looked up 1.8.0's Gecko revision, and it appears to correspond to Firefox 25, so I want to change the user agent to that of Firefox 25.

Jennifer, you need to paste into urlbar:
about:config
EDIT: press enter,
then you find pref
'override.useragent.Firefox.vendorSub'
and set value you want.

JamesD, i only wish to read a good story :)

rodocop, you don't need to rewrite your extensions, everything works fine as in the km16.
On my machine i use km without these double folders (or parallel, i don't know how to name them).

Regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 10:25AM by adodupan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 02, 2014 06:01PM

adodupan,
great news!

They really do work, even being creating oldstyle folders 'chrome' 'components' etc. in KM rootfolder???

Or I need to unpack them into 'browser' folder?

Try K-Meleon-1.6db+NS by dugbug // KM-16-S2014 by Fred // 1.6beta2.6 by JamesD

K-Meleon Twin+ Download for modern browsers =//= Download for old ones =//= Discuss it!!!

New KM74 for test and feedback! Get it there!

Date: June 02, 2014 10:19PM

rodocop
great news!

Well, news is that you can use any folder you want, you only need to register path within the manifest file.
Read more about Chrome registration

rodocop
They really do work, even being creating oldstyle folders 'chrome' 'components' etc. in KM rootfolder???

Yes, some of them, and yes, in km rootfolder 'oldstyle folders' chrome, components etc (i would not recommend old extensions with components files, it's hard work for you).

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 03, 2014 03:05PM

adodupan
Jennifer
I can't figure out how to change the user agent to exactly what I want. I looked up 1.8.0's Gecko revision, and it appears to correspond to Firefox 25, so I want to change the user agent to that of Firefox 25.

Jennifer, you need to paste into urlbar:
about:config
EDIT: press enter,
then you find pref
'override.useragent.Firefox.vendorSub'
and set value you want.

Easier method: Go about:config and toggle general.useragent.compatMode.firefox to true. It is the officially (Mozilla.org) recomended way for their GREs. It adds the firefox string. Here it will read like Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.3) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0 or so. This setting should IMHO be possibly chosen as the default setting by the devs. That way most pages should become compatible.

To get the old functionality back - which I prefer.

Call this code maybe UserAgents.js and drop it into ./browser/defaults/preferences.

// Beginn Code
/********************************************************************************************************/
// Privacy Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.3) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/24.0 K-Meleon/74.0

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "Firefox 24 ESR");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.3) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.3");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "SeaMonkey");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0 SeaMonkey/2.24");
// End code

To add more items of Your choice. Red Number increaes.

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", "You 3 rd custom string");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string"....

Then the old code from 1.5.4 - 1.7 will work again. Call it useragent.kmm
and drop it into macros. Or copy the macro from the old version there.

# Beginn Code.
# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# ---------- User Agent --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Dependencies	: main.kmm ($macroPrefBranch)
# Resources	: -
# Preferences	: kmeleon.privacy.useragent[1,2,...].name
#		  kmeleon.privacy.useragent[1,2,...].string
#
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UserAgent{
macroinfo=_("Set the specified User Agent string");
menuchecked=$ARG==""?(getpref(STRING,$_UserAgent_Active)==""):(getpref(STRING,$_UserAgent_Active)==getpref(STRING,$_UserAgent_Custom.$ARG.".string"));
$ARG==""?delpref($_UserAgent_Active):$_string=getpref(STRING,$_UserAgent_Custom.$ARG.".string");
$ARG==""?&_UserAgent_SyncMenu:&_UserAgent;
}
UserAgent_Custom{
macroinfo=_("Set a custom User Agent string");
$_string=prompt(_("Enter the User Agent string to identify K-Meleon as:"),_("Custom User Agent"),getpref(STRING,$_UserAgent_Active));
$_string==""?0:&_UserAgent;
}

UserAgent_AlertString{
macroinfo=_("View the current User Agent string");
injectJS("alert('"._("Current User Agent String:")."\\n\\n'+navigator.userAgent)");
}
UserAgent_ToggleReset{
macroinfo=_("Toggle resetting the default User Agent string when exiting");
menuchecked=getpref(BOOL,$_UserAgent_Reset);
togglepref(BOOL,$_UserAgent_Reset);
}

# ----- PRIVATE

$_UserAgent_Active="general.useragent.override";
$_UserAgent_Custom="kmeleon.privacy.useragent";
$_UserAgent_Reset=$macroPrefBranch."useragent.reset_on_exit";

_UserAgent{
$_string==""?delpref($_UserAgent_Active):setpref(STRING,$_UserAgent_Active,$_string); &_UserAgent_SyncMenu;
}
_UserAgent_SyncMenu{
$_data=getpref(STRING,$_UserAgent_Active);
setcheck("macros(UserAgent_Custom)",($_data!=""));
$_j=1; while($_j>0) &_UserAgent_SyncMenuLoop;
}
_UserAgent_SyncMenuLoop{
$__data=getpref(STRING,$_UserAgent_Custom.$_j.".string");
$__data==$_data?setcheck("macros(UserAgent_Custom)",false):0;
$_j=$__data==""?0:$_j+1;
}
$OnStartup=$OnStartup."_UserAgent_SyncMenu;";

_UserAgent_BuildMenu{
# tools menu
$_u="&User Agent";
setmenu(PrivacySecurity,popup,$_u);
setmenu($_u,macro,"Default","UserAgent()");
$_i=1; while($_i>0) &_UserAgent_BuildMenuLoop;
setmenu($_u,macro,"&Custom...",UserAgent_Custom);
setmenu($_u,macro,"&Reset To Default On Exit",UserAgent_ToggleReset);
setmenu($_u,separator,"&Reset To Default On Exit");
}
_UserAgent_BuildMenuLoop{
$__data=getpref(STRING,$_UserAgent_Custom.$_i.".name");
$__data==""?0:setmenu($_u,macro,$__data,"UserAgent(".$_i.")");
$_i=$__data==""?0:$_i+1;
}
$OnInit=$OnInit."_UserAgent_BuildMenu;";

_UserAgent_Reset{
getpref(BOOL,$_UserAgent_Reset)?delpref($_UserAgent_Active):0;
}
$OnQuit=$OnQuit."_UserAgent_Reset;";

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."UserAgent;";

# End code

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 03:21PM by guenter.

Posted by: thomase13
Date: June 06, 2014 10:19PM

Hi there,

I have just discovered K-Meleon 1.8.24, and I see it has no installer.
I have extracted it into my Program Files, so I can execute k-meleon.exe, but I am wondering: where is setdefault.exe in this version? Do I have to manually set it as default and create shortcuts for this version?

It would be nice to have a simple Custom option in the User Agent menu like in K-M 74.

As I said in the K-M 74 thread:

I hate to completely remove "K-Meleon/74.0" from the string, as I am a proud K-Meleon user and I want people to know it!
It would be a shame for all K-M users to be invisible Web surfers!
[...]
I have changed my string to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:25) Gecko/20140105 Firefox/25 K-Meleon/74.0
Apparently they care about the Gecko version number but not the build date, as I haven't changed that.

Apparently, Firefox 25 is high enough for both the latest Google and Hotmail interfaces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 10:20PM by thomase13.

Date: June 07, 2014 12:44AM

thomase13
Hi there,

I have extracted it into my Program Files, so I can execute k-meleon.exe, but I am wondering: where is setdefault.exe in this version? Do I have to manually set it as default and create shortcuts for this version?

It would be nice to have a simple Custom option in the User Agent menu like in K-M 74.

Yes. F2 Browsing Options -> Set K-Meleon as default browser should work again.
If not out of the box place the setdefault.exe from 74 into the 1.8 folder and repeat the action. naruman has fixed it AFAIK.

Right click on the K-Meleon.exe and send to dsektop will create a link there.
Rename it before and You get a link with the right name.grinning smiley

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: June 13, 2014 11:58PM

just wondering, where's the "Stop" button to stop loading web pages mid-stream in KM 1.8 builds 20, 22 & 24? I don't see it in any of the toolbars.

Date: June 15, 2014 03:28AM

4td8s
just wondering, where's the "Stop" button to stop loading web pages mid-stream in KM 1.8 builds 20, 22 & 24? I don't see it in any of the toolbars.

The three alternative skins that all 1.8s ship IMHO have a Stop Button.

Date: June 17, 2014 02:39PM

4td8s

You can modify pref 'kmeleon.plugins.macros.minimal.buttons' in about:config,
perhaps a better way is to edit file \defaults\pref\minimal.js (it is easier for you to understand what you're doing).

Add this as part of the value:
/* it will appear as a button */
ID_NAV_STOP,mBtn,Stop loading this page,3;
/* it will appear as a toolbar */
ID_NAV_STOP,mBtn,Stop loading this page,3;@

Regards

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: July 03, 2014 01:40AM

thanks adodupan. stop button works great.

any ideas on how to add adblock plus extension onto KM 1.8?

Date: July 03, 2014 02:59PM

4td8s

any ideas on how to add adblock plus extension onto KM 1.8?

Sorry already exists.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/read.php?2,128038,phorum_session_v5=5%3A3050c7833f48090199964516c1fed5b0

I just have to transfer items recently created by naruman fot that extension.

naruman

Contain:
-Add AdBlock-Plus.

very Important:

"AdBlock-Plus" is taking a lot of resources and may cause freeze Km while opening pages,as some of its "filters" have very big list of data which use it when open any site.

So if have something like this :

-Click on its icon to disable it.
Or
-remove the filter and use customer way .

And sorry for my following info and disagreement.

Info: Adblock Plus has become a commercial entity/extension.

https://adblockplus.org/de/impressum

They are world market leader in ad-blocking.

In Central and Eastern Europe adblockres are installed in almost every other browser. World wide there is a high percentage installed especially in Firefox.

There is German critiscism to Eyeo GmbH. Example entry point for the discussion.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/digital/adblock-plus-in-der-kritik-deutschlands-heimliche-werbemacht-1.1711497

Background: In 2010 Till Faida wrote a beachelors thesis about how much money pages loose if adblockers are used.

A resume of the consequences.

"Hochwertige kostenlose Inhalte lassen sich so nur schwer refinanzieren."

Translation: "High value free content is hard to refinance if adblockers are used."

"Till Faida sieht eine Marktlücke. Nach seinem Studium gründet er ein Unternehmen, zusammen mit Wladimir Palant. Die Firma in Köln nennen sie Eyeo GmbH und ihr Produkt Adblock Plus. Dieser Adblocker ist heute der weltweit meistgenutzte. Etwa ein Dutzend Leute arbeiten bei Eyeo an ihm."

Translation: "Till Faida sees a market gap. After finishing his studies he founds an enterprise - together with Wladimir Paland. The company located in Colon is called Eyeo GmbH and the product is Adblock Plus. This adblocker is the world leader. About a dousend Eyeo people work on it."

Obviously the Süddeutsche reporter did not know who Wladimir Paland (and what project he stands for since many years) is or he expects that some of the readers need this background information.

Presonal note: Not that I do not like Wladimir Paland or begrudge that Eyeo GmbH makes money for and with his project. To the oposite. Wladimir Paland has been always fair and has always supported minority browsers, to add choice for users. Thus K-Meleon. In the past he has used this very Forum for K-Meleon support and anouncements of his project now product.

Disagrement: But IMHO it would be better to ask K-Meleon devs to concentrate their time to create or fix things for their own project and things that allow them to raise money for K-Meleon development or themselves - and not to fix or support Eyeo GmbH's product.

Additionally Adblock Plus does not offer what I need. That IMHO what we all need.

I personally never have used any adblocker for the very reason that: I want free high qualitity content to be financed by adds. Therefore I had to allow adds so that each individual site owner can refinance the money he invsted (time is money) to create the content for his page.

But now when I wait for ages, because of double click and other add pushers or spy nets that try to trace my behavior, I get mad. The wait has become the rule recently. I keep waiting for the advertising nets and the spies that have week servers; While the loading of the content provider's page is finished. And the page will not build during the wait for the last add or spy.

IMHO an addblocker should allow adds but not these delays and no spies.

This does AFAIK not yet exist in Adblock Plus. So why support it?

Re: K-Meleon 1.8.0 Development
Posted by: mouse
Date: July 28, 2014 06:19PM

Hi Guys

Well 1.8 is looking really peacful, and running really fast and stably here. Using it with Loader, so loading is instant. A joy to use a simple effective tool with such low resource demands.

As well as the praise, I will report something not working, but I guess that is expected and understood, Anyway:
- IE history extension seem to cause KM not to produce it's GUI. Instead it hangs and consume more and more memory
- Printing. Well pages print, but some grpahics may be missing - eg on the defaul KM home page, no mascot is printed.

I wish you all the very best, and hope you get the extensions running. I use IE Favorites (and would use IE history too if av) lastpass, lazarus on FF, some form of add blocking, and some means of creating web archives (.mht). I guess lazarus and IE history will never happen(?), but I think I have got the others going on past builds, so I am hoping 1.8 will get there.

With very best wishes

Mouse

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.