Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
most like ie6
Posted by: nisim
Date: March 13, 2009 12:21PM

hi
I need to build website and I have on my computer ie7,fire fox,opera...but I have no ie6. and I can not install ie6 when I have ie7.
Is it true to say that K-Meleon 0.7 is like ie6?
I do not want to install platform that allow my to work ie6+ie7 in the same time because my computer is week.
thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: most like ie6
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: March 13, 2009 04:48PM

No, IE6 and K-Meleon are not the same.

IE6 and IE7 are shits, K-meleon the exact opposite. :drool:

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 14, 2009 11:04AM

IE use Trident engine but K-Meleon use Gecko engine like Firefox and never are the same.

K-Meleon have a skin similar to IE6 but only the skin, engine is Gecko like Firefox not Trident like IE.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 14, 2009 06:13PM

nisim
I need to build website and I have on my computer ie7,fire fox,opera...but I have no ie6. and I can not install ie6 when I have ie7.

Is it true to say that K-Meleon 0.7 is like ie6?

I do not want to install platform that allow my to work ie6+ie7 in the same time because my computer is week.
thanks

1.)Multible IE (e.g. IE 6 & 7) can be installed on the same machine.

But it is IMHO sufficient to test with the major browser engines.

2.) No K-Meleon always used the Gecko rendering engine. K-Meleon 0.7 used much less resources than IE 6. Similarities in browsers menu layout and items are AFAIR from Mosaic or even older browsers.

3.) The multiple IE mentioned above are independent of each other.

p.s. Current K-Meleon can be used with any Windows32. It can run on 32MB with a 486/66 CPU and anything more modern just like old M-Meleon 0.6 & 0.7 did. So there is no need to use 0.7.

K-Meleon is AFAIK the fastest browser to restart, that is ideal when You test Your pages.

K-Meleon uses the same rendering engine as Firefox (which is a very slow starter).
So You can check with K-Meleon whether Your pages will work with firefox.

Firefox and IE 7 are currently the most common browsers, closely followed by IE 6. IE 4-7 are not HTML standard compliant. To check with 7 might be good enough. Coming IE 8 will be standard compliant like Firefox, Opera and all other new browsers btw browser engines. So I do not know whether it is still worth while to make extra codes for IE (unless You expect many visitors using it). For my page I checked whether it looked ok with IEs and optimized for HTML standard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 06:13PM by guenter.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 15, 2009 09:50AM
Posted by: DannyD
Date: March 15, 2009 11:25AM

@ nisim,
not sure if it exceeds the capacity of your computer, but I've had good experiences with
IETester.
BrowserCam is certainly nicer and supports virtually everything, but isn't free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 11:26AM by DannyD.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: March 21, 2009 11:16AM
Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: March 26, 2009 10:11PM

Current K-Meleon doesn't run properly on Windows 95, which is also a Win32 platform. I admit I haven't tried, but I didn't have much hope after the URL bar stopped working, and no one had any idea what was wrong.

IE is very much HTML compliant. Its major deficiencies lie in CSS and DOM support. So far, IE8 seems to have excellent support for CSS 2.1 (over 90%), but there seem to be many bugs as well. Source: http://www.webdevout.net/tidings/2009/03/23/ie-8-css-21-support-results/

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.