Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
How to make a throbber?
Posted by: Melon Head
Date: March 09, 2006 04:57PM

sorry if this question has been asked before,but how does one go about making a throbber?

I've found a bunch of various animated gif's on the net,a few bitmaps...but can't figure out how to convert them to a avi...or just change a line in a pref so I can use them?

anyone have a faq or how-2 they could point me to :/

~MelonHead,using K-Meleon 0.9

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to make a throbber?
Posted by: Drahken
Date: March 09, 2006 08:49PM

First you have to convert the GIF to an AVI, you can use Movies13 from http://jansfreeware.com/jfgraphics.htm to do so (it's freeware). Then go into the folder for the skin yoiu're using (should be something like C:\stuff\k-meleon-ME-49\skins\Silverbird\ ) rename or delete the "trobber.avi" file currently in that folder, place your new throbber there and make sure it's filename is throbber.avi.

Re: what about BMP Throbbers?
Date: March 10, 2006 11:25PM

I already know where the profile folder is and all...just wondered if K-Meleon would let you edit a line or something to set it to an AVI or GIF or BMP,etc.

also what about BMP Throbbers...it's basicly a bitmap(ie-compat.) file and I'm not sure if it can easily be converted to gif then to avi(or just to gif for that matter)

but was curious is all,thanks for the link Drahken

Posted by: vpowell
Date: March 19, 2006 04:38AM

@Melon Head
I haven't tried it, but there is a (free) product to convert bitmaps to avi called AVI Quick (go to bottom of page):
http://www.tlhouse.co.uk/pc_software.shtml

Re: Thanks a bunch vpowell
Date: March 20, 2006 08:41AM

@vpowell
Thanks,seems like just what I was looking for...but when I did try it out it seems to convert just the bitmap itself to a avi file...not in frames or gif-styled or anything sad smiley

I did do some searching and found something called bitstrip that might work...but it's used to convert bitmaps to gifs...or gifs to bitmaps(the latter I think but unsure) hope it works for me

@Drahken
also I did try out Movies13...even managed to convert the gears thorrber from yellow to green somehow(I'm still not sure how...but I think I had to convert all the frames then use Movies13 for it) but it doesn't seem to easily convert gifs to avis as I had hoped :/

still the green gears seem to work rather nicely for me and I'm still experimenting a little...if I can find a app that converts bitmap throbber pictures to frames(weither it's 12 different gif or 12 differ bmp "frame" files) it would work

say anyone think I should submit the "Green Gears" to K-Meleon or something? tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Drahken
Date: March 20, 2006 12:28PM

You may want to try xnview (www.xnview.com). I've never had a BMP animation to test it with, but it can extract frames from other animations into a set of seperate files. Irfanview might also work.

In theory, you could also do it manually. BMP animation is really just all the frames on a single filmstrip-like image. If you use an image viewer that shows you the strip instead of the animation, you could manually crop out each frame (although that would be very difficult and time consuming).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.