Default Settings
Posted by: William
Date: December 10, 2010 08:46PM

I was just wondering in future developements that a default setting button could be implemented that would reset K-meleon back to out of the box specs.

Re: Default Settings
Posted by: siria
Date: December 10, 2010 09:36PM

I think too that could be useful, but depends on how much personal stuff one wants to reset, there are various ways...

E.g. you can have multiple profiles in KM, so the usual recommended way would be to create a new profile:
Edit > Manage Profiles
Check "Ask at startup" and when restarting, click "NEW" profile.
(If you first click NEW and forget that "Ask" box or don't use it next time, the profiles tend to get a bit buggy)
The first profile folder is kept too, one can switch back and forth later, or manually copy over some files, especially bookmarks, passwords etc.
This also keeps optional macros that a user may have installed into the global macros folder, but most macros work just as well if moved into a user macros folder (in a profile folder).
The profile and macros folders can easily be found in the Edit>Configuration menu.

Then again, in some cases it would probably suffice to just delete the file 'prefs.js' in the profile folder. If it's okay to also delete the stored sessions in it... and the urlbar history. But most of that file are just 'settings'. It can be opened with notepad to see exactly what stuff is stored in it.

But neither of this methods will reset customized toolbar buttons, if a default skin was used directly, not copied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2010 09:38PM by siria.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 09, 2011 07:43PM

I only use a single profile, so what I am going to say may not work in a multi-profile situation. The most complete way to set KM back to the defaults is to exit KM and rename the folder 'Profiles' in KM's root directory to 'Old_Profiles'. When you start KM again everything will be created new. Also you have a way to return to the old profile by just deleting the 'Profiles' folder and renaming 'Old_Profiles' to 'Profiles'.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 09, 2011 09:37PM

JamesD
I only use a single profile, so what I am going to say may not work in a multi-profile situation. The most complete way to set KM back to the defaults is to exit KM and rename the folder 'Profiles' in KM's root directory to 'Old_Profiles'. When you start KM again everything will be created new. Also you have a way to return to the old profile by just deleting the 'Profiles' folder and renaming 'Old_Profiles' to 'Profiles'.

JamesD,

Exactly how I do it. Saves a lot of headache (but I also zip up the entire browser folder(s) as a secure backup.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.