Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
slow table rendering?
Posted by: Rick Zehr
Date: November 05, 2002 04:45PM

I have an account with Schwab, and the build 698 beta takes about 15 seconds to load my stock performance page, which is mostly numbers in a four-row table.

It renders the cells starting from the left inside the table border, and waits a long time to do it. First, small empty outlined cells appear jammed against the left side of the table, then a few seconds later, some develop broken-graphics icons, then the cells finally expand in columns from from the left to fill out the table. This all takes an incredibly slow 10-15 seconds.

No such problem appeared with K-M .6, and I've not seen this with any other browser, but it has been consistent in K-M beta versions for the past month.

K-M .6, Opera 6.05, and IE 5.5 all render the page in a couple of seconds, and with none of the visible agony doing it - any idea wtf is with K-M? I can't really open this as a bug, because I' not going to give away the keys to my stock account - what now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: slow table rendering?
Posted by: Gimp
Date: November 05, 2002 10:10PM

hi
what hardware and OS you running? i havent experienced any problems with table rendering, have you changed any default setting like the user agent string etc

Posted by: po
Date: November 05, 2002 11:50PM

It looks like the original poster figured out that it was due to setting Memory Cache to '0' (zero):

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=2865&t=2865

Posted by: Watcher
Date: November 05, 2002 11:52PM

This sounds similar to the problem I'm seeing with the Yahoo TV listings, it uses tables and it slowly reformats the tables several times while transferring from the server before rendering is completed. Netscape Communicator 4.79 and Opera 6.05 are both MUCH faster. At least on the Yahoo TV listings page part of the problem is the incorrect processing of script tags with Javascript disabled (see my posting "Processing Javascript tags with Javascript disabled" on the bugs forum) but there seems to be another problem as well because even if I put 127.0.0.1 entries for the sites the script tags point to in my hosts file, K-Meleon still slowly processes the tables. I remember Mozilla 1.1 had this problem also (as well as many other slowness issues)

Posted by: po
Date: November 06, 2002 01:14AM

> it slowly reformats the tables several times while transferring
> from the server before rendering is completed. Netscape
> Communicator 4.79 and Opera 6.05 are both MUCH faster.

Just a random guess, but are there maybe Style directives that the other two browsers are ignoring? or something along those lines?

Date: November 06, 2002 02:36PM

No the page has a simple one line style sheet and even so Opera 6.05 supports CSS1 and CSS2. The page does have the following line (and 6 more like it) which is not being ignored even though it should since I have Javascript disabled:

<script language="javascript" src="http://shopping.yahoo.com/js/mc.js">;

Even though the scripts aren't being executed the pages shopping.yahoo.com and us.a1.yimg.com (where the other 6 scripts are at) are definitely being accessed since they show up on the status line. Netscape 4.79 and Opera 6.05 get the entire page and then renders it whereas K-Meleon gets part of it, renders the part it has, gets more, adjusts the page, gets more, adjusts again, gets more, adjusts again, finally gets to the end, and adjusts again. Mozilla 1.1 did the same thing.

Date: November 08, 2002 07:11PM

Any thoughts on this issue ? I'm guessing it's a Mozilla bug. Do the K-Meleon devs work with the Mozilla at all ? Maybe you guys could fix it and submit it to them.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 11, 2002 06:56PM

Watcher,

Normally, we file bugs in Bugzilla on issues like this. They normally know the guts of Gecko so that they can work those out. We'll need to test that with MFCEmbed, their embedded build, to confirm the bug. Can you provide specific pages for testing?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.