Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Development Update
Posted by: Andrew
Date: October 29, 2002 06:35AM

We are just about to box up 0.7 and ship it out the door. If you have a major crasher bug using the latest beta, please report it ASAP. If you have a trivial but glaring bug, please report it ASAP. Otherwise, we'll add those to our list of '"to-do"'s for K-Meleon 0.8.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Development Update
Posted by: Dragon
Date: October 29, 2002 07:40AM

Build 674 is running very smoothly on my primitive machine. This is great news!

Posted by: Andrew
Date: October 29, 2002 12:18PM

Dragon,

We have a newer build if you want to test that.

Posted by: Dragon
Date: October 29, 2002 11:58PM

Thanks, Andrew. I just got it. The only problem I've encountered with the earlier builds was with the hotlist.dll. It's crashed a few scans I've run to detect unused or invalid dll's.

Posted by: SJ Zero
Date: October 30, 2002 06:57PM

It would be nice if the installer tried to detect whether there was an Opera hotlist or some netscape bookmarks, and chose whatever plugins were appropriate. Having all three when they're not nessessary seems wasteful...

Also, I installed the new version over my old one, but kept my old profiles. Now there isn't a layers menu(though the bar is there), and when I right click on a link, it doesn't give me the option to open the link in a new layer.

Posted by: meiso
Date: October 30, 2002 08:28PM
Posted by: Quan Kieu
Date: October 30, 2002 10:12PM

K-Meleon Version 0.6.5 Build 681 Compiled Sun Oct 27 16:56:49 2002
Windows NT4.0

When I repeatedly open large images (JPG) the memory consumed as shown in the Task Manager keeps growing until System warning of low memory.
Minimize K-Meleon then restore would drop it back down. (takes quite a few seconds)

Did not notice this in 6.0

Thankyou for a lovely browser.

Posted by: Tar
Date: October 31, 2002 04:42AM

* Menu accelerators don't work (Alt+F, Alt+G and such)
* Middle click on link should open it in new layer
* Middle click on layer title should close it
* No mouse gestures, weee sad smiley

Version 0.6.5 Build 697 Compiled Wed Oct 30 00:42:12 2002
Win2kSP3

Posted by: Tar
Date: October 31, 2002 05:00AM

Oh, and no address bar autocomplete sad smiley

But the speed, the SPEED un freakin belivable, startup time (without the loader) 1.5 sec compared to 3 sec for IE 6.0 SP1 without -nohome parameter. And get this, all that on a 150 MHz Cyrix 6x86MX smiling smiley

Silky smooth all the way smiling smiley

Posted by: Harvey
Date: October 31, 2002 06:51PM

Downloaded build 697 on top of 6.5. No problems when I overode objections. 697 is working fine with no crashes.
Only problem now is I can no longer see what windows are open on the taskbar. This is true for the entire system [ Mozilla1.1, Phoenix0.3, IE5.5 etc.]
Something must have changed in the registry. I am using Win95, Pentium2, 233.
Does anybody have any ideas? I can still switch between windows using Tile or Alt/Tab if I remember what is there.

Posted by: kazys
Date: October 31, 2002 07:40PM

the following html chunk doesn't work as expected. the context menu for the link should be disabled, but it is not. first shows up the alert and then the context menu.

<a href="#" onContextMenu="javascript: alert('context menu for this link is disabled!'); return false;">right click me</a>

using Build 698

Posted by: kazys
Date: October 31, 2002 07:41PM

using mozilla 1.2beta the context menu doesn't appear

Posted by: tuxracer
Date: October 31, 2002 10:15PM

I've only tried 0.65beta but from what I seen I wish K-Meleon would stick to the IE/Windows look and feel. There were certain UI elements, esspecially in the preferences dialog that looked and felt so out of place.

Posted by: olorin
Date: November 01, 2002 12:23AM

Just switched back after a long stay with Mozilla - the speed is incredible, and I really missed the customizability...

However, one thing I remember wondering about was the mouse buttons - could those be added to accelerators? (something like "SHIFT VK_LEFT_CLICK") That would probably remove the only problem I have with it - I got used to middle click opening new tabs in Mozilla... Has this been done?

Posted by: olorin
Date: November 01, 2002 12:29AM

Whoops - an annoyance I found - after using Ctrl-tab to switch layers, I am unable to scroll until I refocus the window, either by clicking on the window or using F6 followed by tab. Not a show-stopper, but annoying and, I suspect easy to fix.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.