Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Odd behaviour in the new beta.
Posted by: Björn
Date: May 28, 2002 01:57PM

I should post this to the dev mail list I guess but I can't acces my mail right now.

When opening a new link in the background (by right clicking a link and choosing the open in background option in the popup) It gets opened in the background alright. But when I close the first window to get to my new one, it's minimized to the system tray. I need to click it in my tray to get it back up.

So basicly, somwhow the new links opened in the background automaticly gets minimized.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Odd behaviour in the new beta.
Posted by: David
Date: May 28, 2002 05:01PM

Do you really mean "system tray," or is it in the taskbar?

Actually, I thought that was the whole point of "open in background" -- it opens the new page without grabbing focus. I don't think you can do that in Windoze without minimizing the new window.

Date: May 29, 2002 09:33AM

Umm yeah I mean system tray.

Kmeleon 0.6 (the current non beta release) works the way I want it to, it opens the links without giving them focus, but doesen't minimize them. This just started happening after I installed the latest beta.

Posted by: David
Date: May 31, 2002 04:02AM

I tried opening a page in the background with both 0.6 and 0.6.5 build 142, and they seem to act precisely the same as far as I can tell.

1. Launch KM, load a page with links
2. Right click a link, select Open in Background
3. Minimize first KM instance

When I do this, the page opened in the background is not visible. Whatever had focus before I launched KM regains it. The new page opened in the background is always minimized with either version of KM, as far as I can tell.

Am I still misunderstanding what you're referring to here?

Date: May 31, 2002 08:37AM

Nope, you're not misunderstanding me, this is what I mean. But I'm not getting the same results as you.

If I go through your 3 steps there I get the new Kmeleon window, like I want to. But with the 0.65 beta the new window gets minimized so I have to klick it in the task bar, the older 0.6 does not minimize the windows.

Granted the actual focus might not be on the Kmeleon window, some times it is, sometimes not, but I get it back and it's visible, so any clicks in that windows gets the focus back eitherway.

I can't test again with the new beta, my comp with the beta installed is "down" right now, but I'll update here as soon as I can test it some more with the beta.

Date: May 31, 2002 09:03AM

Yupp I was right, I've now tested it with the new beta, and it behaves differently. It does minimize the new link, so when I close the first windows, I can't se the new link until I click on it in the task bar. I understand this is not a "critical" flaw in software but I think it is an issue that should get resolved, I love the 'open in background' feature, but it's little to no use if it costs me an "extra" mouse click.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: May 31, 2002 11:32AM

Björn,

You are correct. I've seen this too. We'll check into it.

Andrew

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.