Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
next k-meleon to be based on moz 0.9.8 or 0.9.9?
Posted by: schtum
Date: February 22, 2002 11:18PM

We've waited this long, might as well add another week if it means more features and greater stability.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: next k-meleon to be based on moz 0.9.8 or 0.9.
Posted by: Andrew
Date: February 23, 2002 01:01AM

Schtum,

What's currently checked into CVS compiles with 0.9.8 but also includes some post 0.9.8 changes. Seeing as some of our known bugs have been fixed since 0.9.8 (FTP comes to mind), it might make sense to wait.

Andrew

Re: next k-meleon to be based on moz 0.9.8 or 0.9.
Posted by: spaetz
Date: February 23, 2002 11:06AM

Yeah, it might be great to release a new version of .9.8 (.9.9 is still some days away) , .0.9.5 seems a bit outdated by now :-)

Great job guys,
spaetz

The Question that Never dies
Posted by: Same bland time
Date: February 27, 2002 04:59AM

Kmeleon will come out based on whatever version is out at the time. In 2 weeks, the question will be "come out with .9.9 or wait for 1.0" and on.....

One day it will come out, but don't waste energy actively waiting.

Re: The Question that Never dies
Posted by: Rob Vonk
Date: February 27, 2002 09:57AM

Maybe it's an idea to post a "news message" on the frontpage. The last message is from october 2001. So this way it looks like nothing is happening.

You don't have to promise anything, just an update about the current status.

I think it can prevent all the questions about the new version (where we all are waiting for) :-)

Rob

Date: February 28, 2002 04:47AM

Now kids, calm down. Here's some of the improvements that will be in the next release:

* Very improved bookmark plugin

* More macro options

* Frames support

* Print Preview

* Tons of bug fixes for both K-Meleon and Mozilla code

I know everyone is anxious for the next release. Heck, I'm anxious for the next release. But this is the nature of open source and when people have other commitments, K-Meleon can't always come first. We're making headway and we'll have more news when we are closer to the next release.

Andrew

Date: February 28, 2002 07:17AM

Andrew, why don't you paste this message on the frontpage? Thats what the news is for :-) And sure we all understand that it isn't a full time job for ya.

Rob

Date: February 28, 2002 12:51PM

Rob,

I'll see if we can get something added. But I know just posting that is going to garner 100 "when is it coming out" questions.
:-)

Andrew

Posted by: sven
Date: February 28, 2002 07:08PM

But not posting will eventually drive people away. I know K-M users who don't ever read forums because they "don't have time for this". But they do check front page from time to time. How many times you will come back to page that has not changed?

I myself thought that my all-time favourite text-editor had died off because web-page was not updated long over half a year. And not seeing any development done I switched to another editor which gave me same features. It was in active development, updated every once in a while, with new user files being posted every few weeks. It was only afterwards that I learned that my old favourite was not dead but having development going on behind the scenes and betas shipped to selected few. Anyway, it was too late for me then, I had ditched editor I had been using for past 3 years.

So, the moral of the story is - time passes quickly on the Net, a month for a developer is like two months for a user.

:-)

Date: March 01, 2002 08:08AM

Sven,

I couldn't have said it better. I understand your point too Andrew. I've made a couple of freeware progs myself and there's never enough time for it.

Maybe you can figure out a text that is clear enough to people so that they don't ask questions :-) (I know thats a tough job)

And don't worry, we'll stick with k-meleon for a while..

Rob

Posted by: lele
Date: March 01, 2002 12:35PM

what about sth like this (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/status.php)? smiling smiley
bye
lele

Posted by: sven
Date: March 04, 2002 06:42AM

More recent entries should be on top, rather than in bottom. Especially if page will be scrollable one day smiling smiley

Posted by: TheDude
Date: March 05, 2002 02:48AM

Well since everyone has waited this long why not wait longer?,,its apparent there only seems to be one person working on K,,and the person obviously don't have time enough to make a new release anytime soon and may not ever.Its kinda like waiting on a service pack release from microsoft,,MS usually releases a service pack about six months after a new windows release and i'm talking a entire OS..So give it up and move on find another browser in the meantime,, cause if your waiting on a new release of K apparently you will be waiting,,and waiting,,and waiting,,so just forget it!

Date: March 05, 2002 02:58AM

Hey Dude,

Well, first off, it would help if you have the facts before making statements about what is going on. I'm not the coder here and as a matter of fact, there are several people working on the browser. Mark has made huge upgrades to the bookmarks plugin that addresses a ton of requests people have made for improvements. Jeff and Brian have been checking in updates too. That doesn't include all of the people like lele, po, sesh and others working on macros, resources and plugins. In fact, there is currently a beta out based on Mozilla 0.9.8. Is it ready for public use? No, but we're not going to put out a crappy release. So stop spreading disinformation. When it is ready, it will be out.

Andrew

Posted by: Johnny Cage
Date: March 05, 2002 05:42AM

Let them take there time, this is not a microsoft product which they rush there products out like ie 6.0, i rather have a stable browser than a unstable browser. it be worth the wait in the long run, look at mozilla there taking there time on there next release 0.9.9 fixing the bugs out, let take them take there time on it when its ready they'll release,its not going to get done if every few mins people keep asking when is kmeleon .6.5 coming out if you rush them your going to get a ie 6.0 like last year when it came out it crash very so often.

take your time
k-meleon crew

Date: March 05, 2002 05:46AM

What's the rush?,the current version works quite well as is. Good work takes time.

Posted by: Johnny Cage
Date: March 05, 2002 07:03AM

Na Andrew i was talking about ms how they rush ie 6.0 and how it crashed every so often because of it. ie 6.0 *rolleyes* there gonna release sp1 for it. and that the current kmeleon doesnt need to be rush out the door just to be on the same milestone level of mozilla because mozilla came out with that milestone.agree with you there on the current version of kmeleon it is just fine as it is and the point all this that good work takes time.

Posted by: Orphée
Date: March 05, 2002 10:20AM

TheDude, what you wrote is called FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. It is the M$'s favorite strategy.
Take your time, K-crew. We all like your work. And KM 0.6 is good enough, IMHO...

Posted by: David
Date: March 05, 2002 08:19PM

Good enough? Well, I have to admit, I'm waiting for 0.7 -- but patiently.

Now, TheDude, a question: how much did you pay for K-Meleon? <g>

These guys will release the next version of KM when it, and they, are ready. It will be better than the current one not because you and I are standing here with handfuls of cash demanding it, but because they enjoy writing KM and ~want~ to make it better, for themselves and us.

If we as users make it a chore for them, they might decide it's not worth the hassle. I've seen other freeware authors give it up for just that reason. So let's use KM, take part in the development in whatever ways we can, and otherwise give these guys room to be creative at their own pace and in their own way.

Date: March 07, 2002 05:19AM

David
>Now, TheDude, a question: how much did you pay for K-Meleon? <g>
ANSWER:I paid the same price i have paid for all the software i got,,even the entire operating system not a dime,,,...
That has nothing to do with this developement process,,I mean its just that they do nothing for so long,,they don't tell anyone nothing,,except wait..I mean its just out right frustrating to come to this sight and see the same NEWS on the front page for instance..I mean can't they at least say something on the main page so everyone will know that there making progress or something right there on the main page so people don't have to dig around in this forum to try to find out anything.I mean some people may loose interest,and what since is there in developing something if there are no users to use it because they all get pissed and run off and loose some users that were interested in the beginning.I mean could'nt they at least update the main page,,it has'nt been updated since the last release either,,come on get with it,,!!Frustrayed user !

Date: March 11, 2002 04:28PM

Maybe you should try AOL. It's updated regularly and the software is "free" (all you pay is the 2/3 of your screen that they use for ads). "So easy to use, no wonder it's number one."

Re:no wonder its numberone
Date: March 16, 2002 01:57AM

Oh,,so you're a comedian too!,,hehe..
And quit trying to play me! cause your phycology sucks.

Re:no wonder its numberone
Posted by: Mark
Date: March 16, 2002 04:21PM

Yeah, David obviously knows, like, <i>nothing</i> about <a href="http://www.psaalgae.org/">algae</a>;. ;-)

The Question that never dies, Part 2
Posted by: Joel Kleppinger
Date: March 19, 2002 01:22AM

Just use Mozilla and forget kmeleon (at least until .7 comes out). Kmeleon .6 was good until mozilla .9.8 came out with native widgets, and from that point on, it really hasn't had ANY advantage over mozilla. Sure, it's still a little faster, but not enough to go for the .9.5 code + general lack of features.

Personally, I thought I would be using kmeleon permanently because mozilla was too bloated. At this point, I don't really care what happens to kmeleon... mozilla has finally come into its own with the last couple of releases. I'm not even sure I could go back to a browser without tabs support.

Kmeleon filled the hole when I needed it. Now I don't.

Re: The Question that never dies, Part 2
Date: March 19, 2002 04:57AM

Joel,

That's OK. K-Meleon isn't for everyone. While I sometimes use Mozilla for testing, I still find it ridiculous that you have to have an extra toolbar just to have the "home" button. Plus, Mozilla doesn't have "Open in Background" which is even better than tabs in my book. Many of our users aren't looking for the "features" (which is often bloat) in Mozilla.

Andrew

Date: March 19, 2002 07:51AM

> Many of our users aren't looking for the "features" (which is often bloat) in Mozilla.

Absolutely. I'm probably not the only one who held on to Netscape 4.08, because it was the last available Netscape standalone browser (without all the stuff I didn't need or want). All other Netscape versions, and Mozilla, were just too huge (it's partly the principle of the thing).

I looked into Opera, but I won't let adware near my system (again partly on principle). Even if you pay, you still have to load the adware version first, then make the ads go away by registering. Uh-uh. Won't do it.

For the last 6 months or so I supplemented Netscape with Off By One and Act 10. I still use them occasionally, but they've been almost entirely supplanted by KM.
Features are fine, but keep 'em small and neat. Don't let creeping featurism destroy this lean, tight browser!

Date: March 19, 2002 11:59AM

David,

Not to worry. We've never been against features but it will never be at the expense of bloating the browser.

Andrew

The next release
Date: March 19, 2002 12:05PM

I think we are very close to the next release. Jeff just checked in a ton of updates and the version that I compiled last night was very good. He's fixed a ton of bugs plus all of the Mozilla bugs that have been fixed since the last release. Also, a lot of the new functionality is working and from what I saw in the code, he's got even more new stuff in the works. I think you'll find it has been worth the wait.

Andrew

Posted by: ThatDude
Date: March 30, 2002 02:50AM

Andrew > <Many of our users aren't looking for the "features" (which is often bloat) in Mozilla.>
Well even if the big lizards have a little bloat,they still use less memory than this K 0.6,,really check out the memory KM is using,,its using over twice the memory,,drastic attention needs to be looked at concerning the memory useage of KM,,I want run KM 06,,and if the new release has'nt fixed the memory usage I'll never run KM,,certainly would'nt want to wait around on another release,,2004,,lol,,smiling smiley

Re: next k-meleon to be based on moz 0.9.8 or 0.9.9?
Date: March 30, 2002 02:57AM

Dude,

You're going to need to show me some numbers. Users have run K-Meleon on machines that would never run Mozilla, Netscape or IE due to the memory demands.

Andrew

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.