Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Building K-Meleon on a free environment?
Posted by: Edwin
Date: February 09, 2002 10:29AM

Is there a way to build K-Meleon from the source in a freely available build environment? I'm interested in taking a look at the code from cvs and maybe trying a few things with it, but I don't have (and am not interested in having) an M$ development system. If it could also be done on one of the free compilers without an IDE, then that would be a great help.

I usually do all my software development on unix and I have little experience with win32 build environments. Therefore I don't really know if there is anything out there that I could use or how to identify the requirements for such a system so that I could look for it myself.

I hope someone can help me out with this.

Edwin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building K-Meleon on a free environment?
Posted by: Zeiram
Date: February 09, 2002 11:37AM

Hello

If you want a free build environment on Win32, you should try Cygwin ( http://www.cygwin.com ). It is a try to port the Unix API to Win32 so as to make it possible to build Unix applications on Win32 without too much code modification. With this environment, you'll have all the Unix tools you are used to use (bash, gcc, gdb and nearly all the GNU tools in fact). Small glitch: most of the applications compiled with Cygwin must use a special DLL.

Another possibility is MinGW ( http://www.mingw.org ). It is a port of GCC to native Win32. That is to say, all the application compiled with it does not need any special DLL. I don't know what comes included with it, as I never used it.

There are probably dozen other possibilities (such as DJGPP, which is mor targeted to the MS-DOS environment), but those two seem to be the more often cited. Personnaly, I happen to prefer Cygwin, but probably only because I came across it before I heard of MinGW.

As to know if these environments would be able to build K-Meleon, I really have no idea.

Best wishes,

Zeiram

Posted by: Edwin
Date: February 09, 2002 01:03PM

Thanks for your response.

I am aware of a lot of opensource/free build environments. But none of them actually gave me the idea that they can compile MFC applications like K-Meleon. For that I'm expecting that I need at least mfc headers and a library. But there are a lot of compatibility issues and other things involved.

So I'm curious if someone knows how to compile using free software. I'm expecting it to be possible because t would be quite strange for free software projects to make themselves dependent on a single commercial program for developement.

Edwin

Posted by: po
Date: February 09, 2002 05:05PM

did you see this? don't know if anything ever came of it...

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/9632/2002/1/0/7666381/

Posted by: DJ
Date: February 09, 2002 11:20PM

I am not sure if it will help but know of a visual Debugging tool and heard its good at www.gnu.org/software/odd

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.