Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
translation
Posted by: Andres
Date: December 09, 2001 12:22PM

As I am thinking of translating K-Meleon into Estonian, I have a question regarding the translation. Since translating only menus would leave a part of the program still in the English language (I mean the strings contained in the .exe file), that part could be incomprehensible for some users with limited knowledge of English. It would be a good idea to translate the whole program, not only the menus.

So the solution would be to use ResourceHacker or a similar editor to translate the strings in the .exe as well. However, I am not at home in compiling an application to only modify a part of the exe-file and therefore I shall probably have to recompile the entire exe into Estonian. Is this allowable and can such recompiled file be uploaded on the resources page of K-Meleon? Or are there any better solutions - in the described case I would have to retranslate every new version...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: translation
Posted by: po
Date: December 10, 2001 06:13AM

i think it was mentioned somewhere that eventually there wouldn't be any string resource files in the .exe ... let me see if i can find the thread ... here:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1109&t=1095

if that's true, it might be worth waiting...

Posted by: Myen
Date: January 03, 2002 06:00AM

As of now, ResHacker should work. I think that's how the French one was done. As it actually replaces the strings in (compiled) EXE files (through standard Windows functions, I think) it should not break K-Meleon since it does no integrity checking.

Posted by: po
Date: January 03, 2002 08:30AM

it's true... i've done truly brutal things to k-meleon with ResHacker, and it doesn't seem to mind at all... very accomodating little lizard. smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.