Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Bookmark Plugin Development
Posted by: Mark
Date: December 26, 2001 07:33PM

Being thoroughly annoyed by all the crap I have to install to build Mozilla (it just offends my sensibilities :-), I've given up on that for now and decided to work on plugins, instead. So I've been messing around with the ns_bookmarks plugin (well, I just started today, but hey). I have a few questions:

1) Is anyone else currently working on this plugin? I don't want to spend too much time duplicating someone else's effort. I grabbed the latest source from the cvs, and it doesn't look like it's been touched in a few months.

2) What do I do if I actually come up with some good code? Do I just send someone diffs? If it's not too great but might be useful to some people, can I just distribute my own version of the dll?

3) Is there anything I might need to know, having never contributed to a project like this before? (Yeah, there's an open-ended question if I've ever seen one...)

4) Is there anything you (anyone) feel I should focus on with respect to the ns_bookmarks plugin?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmark Plugin Development
Posted by: Jeff
Date: December 26, 2001 08:21PM

Mark,

It's nice to hear that you're interested in helping. If you need any specific help, don't hesitate to contact me (my email is in the about box)

1) Brian and I add code every now and then. I haven't touched it since the .6 release, and I don't know if Brian has or not.

2) Yeah, just send the diffs, or the full files, or anything else you want smiling smiley If you'd like to actively contribute code, I'll add you to the project and give you CVS access.

3) Yes, there's probably a lot of weird specifics you'll need to know. The problem is, I can't tell you exactly what they'll be (everyone learns differently). So, when you run into something weird, don't hesitate to ask...it's probably something Brian or I have run across before.

4) That depends on what you want to get out of it. If I were to start on it, the first thing I'd change would be the current vector dependancy. It's slow, and (afaik) is the reason for the current 1024 bookmark limitation. Changing this to a linked list or a tree should fix things. If you're looking to add features, it would be nice to have an "import favorites" option to convert existing favorites to bookmarks. The editor/managment interface could use some work too. I'm sure everyone else will have a lot of suggestions, too smiling smiley

Good luck.

Re: Bookmark Plugin Development
Posted by: po
Date: December 26, 2001 10:16PM

i second the motion for Importing Favorites functionality; right now, i only have URI listings stored as Favorites, but if you end up writing a good Bookmarks plugin, i may just decide to switch over... that probably goes for some other people, too. smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.