Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Strange loading behaviour in the 'F' browser!
Posted by: Daveski17
Date: November 13, 2009 11:59AM

I just wondered if anyone uses Firefox at all. I have it on my computer & I thought the Fx #2 series was OK, that was before I discovered K-Meleon of course!

Anyway, I have noticed that sometimes Firefox (3.5.5) won't load properly in my 'My Yahoo!' page & sometimes in Gmail. The page loads OK but the throbber will still be active & the green ribbon indicator above the systems tray is visible but empty. I have tried using SeaMonkey 2.0 & the betas & rc's were OK but the final release has the same problem as Firefox now.

At first I thought it was my platform but I know people who have had the same problem & I have even had friends use my hub (router) with their laptops using Firefox & they have had exactly the same problem. It is probably more to do with my ISP & broadband connection than anything else I suppose.

Fortunately I now use K-Meleon most of the time which doesn't suffer from this at all. Neither does Internet Explorer.

Has anyone else had a problem with Firefox or SeaMonkey like this?

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2009 11:59AM by Daveski17.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strange loading behaviour in the 'F' browser!
Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 13, 2009 06:06PM

i just tested with 3.5.1 and the electrolysis alpha and you are right.. the throbber stays active for quite a bit after the page have finished loaded(as indicated by statusbar) with few sites.

i dont think it's broadband/connection related..its probably an xul bug with a throbber release delay.. if you notice, it mostly happens with sites with ajax etc.. might have been reported on firefox bugs but didn't care to search there also sometimes, the statusbar might falsely indicate a site has finished loading when some externally called files(like flash or ajax apps) are still being loaded so the throbber will stay active

i'm not sure if this is related but in ff3 the throbber is animated png'apng'-used to be gif in previous versions, km uses avi throbbers.

Date: November 13, 2009 07:13PM

Well, my knowledge of computers is quite limited, but that sounds like a good explanation.

I have mentioned this on MozillaZine but no one claims to have noticed it. It is very probably something to do with the Ajax java scripting of some sort because the sites that seem to suffer are ones that you can personalise & interact with, like Gmail & a 'My Yahoo!' page.

If I remember correctly it is the toolbar with the smileys in Gmail that seems to set the throbber running.

It is interesting that it affects SeaMonkey & Firefox, but not K-Meleon & others though. If I remember SeaMonkey #1.1.14 onwards suffered from this. Which is one of the reasons I decided to test the betas & RCs.

You would think that if enough people reported it they would have fixed it by now!

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2009 07:15PM by Daveski17.

Date: March 09, 2010 05:39PM

It's possible that this is the bug.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.