Off-Topic :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All which isn't K-Meleon related. 
Abiword
Posted by: Daveski17
Date: November 10, 2009 09:32PM

Does anyone use Abiword (word processor) & if so have you had any problems with upgrading it?

I tried to upgrade to 2.8 & downloaded the installer, when I ran it, it claimed it could remove the old 2.6. Instead I ended up with both word processors on the computer.

Eventually, as I couldn't get the spellchecker to work I uninstalled 2.8 & have stayed with 2.6.

It seems to be working fine. Although I think that the Abiword icon in files has changed to a blank square.

If I remember the last upgrade was a bit strange. Perhaps I should have uninstalled 2.6 first. Either way, I think I will stick with 2.6 as I like it better.

Weird eh? :O

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abiword
Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 10, 2009 10:09PM

i use 2.6.3 version without problems, usualy i don't care much about upgrading word processors unless a crucial feature is missing in the older version or a new format or plugin that wouldn't work with the older version.

abiword is not one of those programs that are hardcoded with the windows registry..most it does with it is register file types and installation path so it's surprising it couldn't be uninstalled..maybe it was running hidden? anyway..if you need 2.8, try to restart and uninstall 2.6 and install again on top (same folder) this should make the dictinaries work

and you can fix that icons thing easily from windows folder options dialog>file types and check over the files registered to abiword by extension: abw, awt, zabw, doc, doc, dot, rtf etc etc.. anyway with a missing icon, just click change icon, point it to the abiword exe file and select one from inside abiword.exe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2009 10:12PM by disrupted.

Date: November 10, 2009 11:24PM

OK thanks. I'm OK with 2.6.8 now. Apart from the icon change it seems to be working fine. Actually I have a feeling that you are correct, I may have forgotten to close it down when I tried to upgrade. When I clicked 'check for upgrades' my browser opened at the Abiword Webpage. Although, I am fairly sure I had everything closed when I ran the installation wizard. I may have just had it reduced down to the task bar. Either way, I think I will stick with my original version of it!

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2009 11:30PM by Daveski17.

Date: November 11, 2009 12:08AM

OK, The files couldn't be opened from documents & could only be opened in Abiword. I decided to totally uninstall 2.6 from the C-drive. I thought it could be uninstalled from the start-menu.

I have downloaded 2.8.1 & it is running perfectly. The icons have come back (in Abiword) & I can open abw files from documents or Abiword now.

You are quite right, I had no need to upgrade the old word processor.

I am an idiot...tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 13, 2009 01:58PM

nah..it always happens.. browsers can be kinda important to keep updated because of "security risks" but word processors, graphic editors etc..it's best to use what works better for you and your pc.

my worst update was in paint.net.. i use a quite old version but once i decided to updated to their latest and was disappointed

Date: November 13, 2009 04:45PM

At least I have learned that I have to delete AbiWord from the C-Drive first now if I want to upgrade. The files should be OK in 'documents' & totally deleting AbiWord then running the installer of the upgrade should have been the way to do it. It's all a learning curve right!

This was the problem with the last upgrade but I hadn't figured it all out then.

AbiWord is useful because I can open MS Word documents sent to me & I don't have 'Word' on my computer.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2009 04:46PM by Daveski17.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.