Posted by: Daveski17
Date: October 18, 2009 03:07PM

What's your default browser?

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's your default browser?
Posted by: Paul
Date: October 18, 2009 06:57PM

K-Meleon. Just can't find anything better @ the moment.

Date: October 18, 2009 09:58PM

I'm beginning to really like it as well. It's early days for me, I have only been using it since Friday!

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 23, 2009 11:42PM

My default browser since KM 0.6 has been and will remain K-Meleon: currently Km 1.5.3 with desga2's latest update.

N

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 24, 2009 05:59AM

K-Meleon is the most used since 0.7 or so. At that time I did not know how to make anything but IE default. grinning smiley

p.s. IE 6? Was'nt that the program that downloaded my first real browser?

Just kidding. Some months ago I found my first K-Meleon on a backup CD.
An archive from PC Welt magazine. It included K-Meleon 0.6 and the German language pack, a menus.cfg with German text.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 24, 2009 07:20AM

As guenter, my default browser as been K-Meleon since 0.7

I know K-Meleon since 0.2, but it's the 'préhistoire' smiling smiley

I'm been working on K-Meleon since 0.7 for which I realize the first translation using resHacher and manually adding fr-FR locale. It has been an hard work, and Ulf wasn't really zestful to work on a real localizing projet.

When Dorian came (was-it because he is french), the project have been made quickly.

Thanks to Dorian, for that and also his great improvment of K-Meleon.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2009 07:22AM by JujuLand.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 24, 2009 10:25AM

JujuLand
a real localizing projet.

When Dorian came (was-it because he is french), the project have been made quickly.

I did a 0.8.2 translation. By that time it had become a gruesome chore to do and 0.9 was even harder to translate. It was about time. But editing macros and menus.cfg trained the early translators like You to be (almost) devs

And yes, it was when Dorian, as core dev, came from a country where it is custom to have native menus - easier localizing was created.

It sure was a big step for K-Meleon after a period when the number of translations and possible users had slowly declined.

p.s. AFAIRemember 0.6 or 0.7 had the biggest number of translations?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2009 10:28AM by guenter.

Posted by: Fred
Date: October 24, 2009 12:55PM

K-Meleon has been my preferred browser since 2002,
starting with K-Meleon 0.7 .
I found it on a PC-Welt cd just like Guenter, and
it was so fascinating for me because it was and still is
customizable to a high degree.
Starting in 2005 I managed to use K-Meleon in Linux
with wine and my main interest is to keep K-Meleon
usable in Linux now and in the future.

Fred

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 24, 2009 02:03PM

On close examination I have no default browser.
I use K-Meleon since v0.7/0.8 alongside Opera on a daily basis.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 24, 2009 08:57PM

KM of course, what else, this is a KM forum tongue sticking out smiley
After digging deep into old stuff I found a version 0.8 with a folder "myskin" (just an own backimage), so am sure I actually used it at the time already. From what I remember, somehow my IE had gotten buggy after a system update or such, and I needed something better. What I just LOVED about KM was it's speed, especially when starting it, the possibility to open links in background (finally!!), and that I could use a nice background image grinning smiley After awhile the privbar showed up, that was also a HUGE plus. And the SESSIONS! And recently Open-Last-Closed, all things I had dearly missed ever since the first steps on the internet. And each year more helpful goodies, group-bookmarks etc. smiling smiley

On the other hand what I STILL not like at all after all those years is the chaos with the favorites, because I'm usually too tired to always rename and sort them in a second step (Favrenadd doesnt work in win98). In the past I also had a prob with not being able to surf in cached pages, but that was only my own cluelessness, as I recently discovered ;-P

Must admit over the years I've occasionally tried other browsers, which I needed for things that wouldn't really work in KM, like downloading some videos. Nothing beats that Downloadhelper-addon in FF tongue sticking out smiley And sometimes they had some other advantages too that made me envious, but none really convinced me to switch. Not even sure why... somehow too complicated, although KM wasn't exactly foolproof either with all the shattered settings, and too dull skins (hey I'm a girl ;-)... or missing buttons... At any rate way too SLOW at startup on win98, FF 2 needed 25 sec!! The current version only about 8, but still doesn't beat the 2 sec of KM grinning smiley And recently I tried to embellish a bit that horrible gray default background of FF with something nicer, but no chance. Gave up searching after a few hours, and man are those FF-skins complicated, how shall one even just put an own backimage in there, with 250-500 files in one single skin, and their backimages divided in several parts?!

KM has it's flaws, sure, sometimes I'm green with envy when I look at other browsers (FF add-ons etc.), but honestly, somehow I'm always mightly glad when I "can" finally return to my good ol' pretty and superfast K-Meleon - that now can hold open 30-40 (!!) tabs before the old box starts choking grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2009 08:58PM by siria.

Posted by: Matt
Date: October 26, 2009 04:36PM

siria
Must admit over the years I've occasionally tried other browsers, which I needed for things that wouldn't really work in KM, like downloading some videos.

Try out KeepVid or get flash. Both macros work fine.

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: November 04, 2009 02:48PM

first official km, then and currently kmccf me

Posted by: Smorgasmurf
Date: November 18, 2009 01:32PM

ff3 :-/
i like browsing with all the conveniences :-)
(though i like some of km's stuff, such as oldmoz style cookie prefs)

for low ram pcs, km or opera. (haven't used linux or macs enough to acquire any favorite apps on those oses. and haven't yet used reactos, syllable, etc to try those browsers)

Date: November 18, 2009 06:51PM

siria
And recently I tried to embellish a bit that horrible gray default background of FF with something nicer, but no chance.

Both Firefox & K-Meleon look really nice with Vista aeroglass blue (KM ~ Phoenity Large). You can get a bit bored with everything being blue in Vista though! Firefox is giving me a hard time at the moment & is loading strangely in my 'My Yahoo!' page & exhibits the same weird behaviour in Gmail. K-Meleon is fine. :cool:

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 06:51PM by Daveski17.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 18, 2009 07:53PM

i like this thread because it shows that km users are not software-obsessed like those other fanboys. in other browser forums, you might get stoned for asking such a question grinning smiley

my default is the latest km version, my second favourite is opera 10..and a couple of older km versions for special tasks

Posted by: slayer
Date: November 18, 2009 08:59PM

Same for me, KM is my default browser and Opera 10 my 2nd option. Opera is really good and fast. KM is simple and lightweight.

Date: November 19, 2009 11:29AM

I agree, KM & Opera are light & fast & both work really well on my platform.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: panzer
Date: November 20, 2009 09:47PM

K-Meleon 2.0. grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2009 09:55PM by panzer.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 21, 2009 12:49AM

grinning smiley don't start rumours

Posted by: panzer
Date: November 21, 2009 11:06AM

it is not a rumour. It is a fact. grinning smiley

Posted by: Carlos
Date: February 17, 2010 04:09PM

I bring K-meleon to every computer I use.

Is just the lightest, I don't know and I really don't care if it's the fastest.

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: February 18, 2010 10:39PM

guenter
JujuLand
a real localizing projet.

I did a 0.8.2 translation. By that time it had become a gruesome chore to do and 0.9 was even harder to translate. It was about time. But editing macros and menus.cfg trained the early translators like You to be (almost) devs

And yes, it was when Dorian, as core dev, came from a country where it is custom to have native menus - easier localizing was created.

It sure was a big step for K-Meleon after a period when the number of translations and possible users had slowly declined.

p.s. AFAIRemember 0.6 or 0.7 had the biggest number of translations?

Oh boy, I still remember the old days of translation for 0.8.2+ (We called it 0.8.3 at first though)

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 23, 2010 09:08PM

KM 1.5.2. Soon K-Meleon 1.6.0a (Build 1, 2010-02-16, Gecko 1.9.1).

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: tim toady
Date: February 25, 2010 01:12AM

I'll be honest - up until now, I've been using FF. But now I've discovered K-Meleon, I like the look and feel, so I'll be switching to it permanently.

Email: timmytoady@gmail.com
Web: http://anopemind.ca

Posted by: Rockspecht
Date: March 16, 2010 08:01PM

Opera since years, since version 9.0 or so. I love the comfort (esp. the built-in e-mail client), Firefox with its add-ons feels too clumsy imo.

However on my mother's PC, I took ie away from her because I was concerened about security (I doubt she'd visit any dubious sites, but you never know) and gave her Opera. But as Opera showed to be too resource-intensive recently, I was looking for some lighter browser for her. So I gave her k-m instead and she's quite happy with it.

Personally, I would have prefered a webkit-based browser due to their incredible speed, but k-m is quite the browser I imagined for her older PC. I can't wait to see a stable release with the latest gecko engine.

Posted by: KM2005
Date: October 11, 2015 06:24PM

Having used KM to different degrees throughout the years, right now I'm at ~95% KM, with FF minimized in the background. Prior to KM7x, I was perhaps 99.9% KM for years.

KM is my preference due to ability to customize (positioning buttons where they are quickly accessable on a regular basis) and security (customizing to run the quickly accessable security buttons), etc. I prefer the quickly accessable KM javascript enable/disable button very much (it's one click faster than noScript in FF).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2015 06:24PM by KM2005.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 11, 2015 07:37PM

K-Meleon 75.1

Posted by: siria
Date: October 11, 2015 07:52PM

I think in a dedicated browser forum the answers will not be very surprising grinning smiley

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Posted by: psmith
Date: October 18, 2015 05:17PM

siria
I think in a dedicated browser forum the answers will not be very surprising grinning smiley

Not always. Firefox remains my most used browser, with K-meleon as a secondary browser and Opera 12 as a tertiary (QtWeb and QupZilla are my portable browsers). Having three means I can have multiple logins for the same site which won't allow two in the same browser (i.e. it's not gmail).

But I'm really starting to tire of firefox's memory and resource wasting, it's as bad as Opera's can be. As I type, I have 20 tabs open in K-meleon and it's using less than 400MB of RAM. Firefox is hoarding between 1GB and 1.5GB with the same or fewer number of tabs. And I'm viewing videos in K-meleon (which is resource intensive) but firefox (no videos) is the one making my laptop overheat.

Posted by: travis342
Date: April 04, 2019 02:32PM

i'm using google chrome since 2008, i haven't found any better web browser than that, becuase it has pre-built pdf reader, flash player etc, thousands of extensions etc.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.